Status: Still in progress

The New Ginger Princess

Diners and dates

Actually getting time to yourself as a parent is something that should not be taken for granted, as it might not happen again for quite some time. Getting to go out on a date as a parent is also very rare, and should always be appreciated. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying this time, but something this child free atmosphere provides is the choice of either acting like a child, or acting like a grown up, as you please. Being a parent means participating in child activities but maintaining the role of an adult who is in charge. As a result, with the child not there the parent is given the freedom to simply enjoy their activities without the added job of keeping a constant eye on their kid. 

Having Beau watch Marissa for the day is a really great thing for Austin and Alan, as it gives them time to simply enjoy time together that they haven't been able to get for a while. That's not to say they haven't had any alone time together at home while Marissa is at school, because that has been happening almost every Friday since Halloween. However, the two of them going out together for longer than two hours is something they haven't done since Marissa was adopted. Neither of them mind just staying home but they are more than excited to have this time to do whatever they want. 

"So do you want to eat now, or do you want to wait?" Austin asks Alan as they get into the car to leave.

"That depends on where else you plan to go," Alan points out, knowing that Austin finally has to admit his plan.

"The beach, and don't worry I made sure to bring towels and extra clothes," Austin says.

Alan smiles and replies, "We should eat first because I am hungry, and we can order pancakes to feed the seagulls."

At this Austin chuckles and reaches behind his seat to reveal a package of bread, clearly already thinking ahead to plan for his husband's crazy antics. If it were a family outing where Marissa was coming along they would go to the duck pond park to feed the bread to ducks and geese. Seeing as this is just the two parents Austin knew that Alan would much prefer to feed seagulls at the beach, finding enjoyment in the total chaos of the obnoxious birds.

"We should still eat now though because I am definitely hungry," Alan confirms, "and I really want a hamburger, so decide from that," he adds.

Austin rolls his eyes playfully at the ginger's comment and starts to pull out of the driveway as he remarks, "you say that as if there are actually some sort of options to choose from. Alan, we only really go to one non fast food restaurant here in town, and it has been that way since eighth grade."

"Great, so we're going to Luna's," Alan chimes.

Luna's Diner is a simple and welcoming restaurant that is popular among the locals, but seems to have a way of repelling visitors and vacationers. The diner was started in 1985 by a married couple, the name being that of the wife, and has stayed within the family. The original couple technically still owns the restaurant, and are there nearly everyday, but they really don't run it anymore. Currently it is being run mainly by Luna's son and daughter-in-law, Mark and Amber, and their daughter, Lights. All of the people who work in the diner are either family or close friends, and there is rarely a customer who isn't familiar with at least one of the workers. Even those rare new faces don't stay strangers for long, quickly taken by the warm free flowing atmosphere inside that keeps people coming back. 

Pulling up to their favorite restaurant Austin and Alan smile at the lackluster exterior that they find comforting. Despite its ability to make those who are unfamiliar with it overlook or avoid it, inside the place is clean and bright. Walking in Austin and Alan catch the attention of one of the waitresses, exchanging smiles as they find themselves a seat at a two person table.

"Hey Austin, hey Alan," Lights says as she walks up to their table to be their waitress, having been informed of their arrival by the other waitress.

"Hey Lights. The two of us are out on a date for the day because your boyfriend volunteered himself for an afternoon of babysitting," Austin says.

Lights simply chuckles and says, "I would have loved to join them but I obviously have to work today."

"You and Beau are welcome to babysit any time you want; Marissa loves you," Alan points out.

"Not as much as she loves Beau, but I am happy with being a close second," Lights comments lightheartedly. "Also, I am guessing you guys want two cherry cokes, and I know at least Alan probably wants the bacon cheeseburger."

"I'd love one too, and some mozzarella sticks for the both of us please," Austin requests, receiving a smile and nod from Lights before she walks away to the kitchen.

The couple talks about random things, and just kill time while they wait for their drinks and mozzarella sticks. When Lights comes by to drop the drinks off at the table she lets them know their appetizer will be ready in a few more minutes. She puts two straws down in front of them and leaves before Austin inevitably decides to shoot the straw wrapper at his husband.

"You two finally get some time to actually go out on a date and this is what you do," Lights remarks a few minutes later in response to the thumb war the boys were just having as she sets the plate of mozzarella sticks on the table with some napkins. 

"We are enjoying each other's company," Alan mentions with a shrug before picking up a mozzarella stick and leaving Lights to continue her job. 

In between munching on their appetizer the two continue to make light conversation, eventually deciding that they want to do something other than just sit there. Being the overgrown children that they are, this leads to Alan going up to the front counter to ask the boy working there for some crayons. Alan returns to his seat with four crayons and some extra napkins, setting the crayons down in the middle of the table and passing half of the napkins to Austin. By the time their food arrives Alan has already doodled about four separate pictures of cats, Austin has a napkin covered in scribbles and shapes, and there is a growing pile of napkins between them depicting games of hangman. The words in the games are varied, but all are words that the couple has been very careful about not saying in front of their daughter.

They continue to play their childish game while they eat, giggling at their immature and inappropriate choice of vocabulary. The giggling dies down as Lights comes to see how everything is going, glancing down at the napkins before rolling her eyes and softly shaking her head. 

"You guys are something else," she says in amusement. "That reminds me, do you guys want the check now, or are you going to want an order of pancakes to go first?"

"I have no idea what would possibly make you think we would want pancakes," Alan says in fake shock.

Lights scoffs and replies, "I have known you since middle school, and you are undoubtedly leaving here to go to the beach so you can feed a legion of seagulls like some crazy person."

"That is very true, but Austin thought ahead and got bread, so I have an entire loaf of bread to give to my legion of seagulls," Alan counters with an unnecessary mocking tone.

"The check would be great Lights, thank you," Austin clarifies as he pulls out his wallet, walking with her to the counter to make things easier.

"With both of your craziness and childishness I sometimes wonder how you two can be parents. Of course, when I see you guys with Marissa I totally get it because you are both such amazing dads," Lights admits before bidding her two friends goodbye.

⭐️⭐️⭐️

The good thing about living in San Diego is that the weather is consistently warm, so going to the beach can be a year round activity. Austin and Alan are grateful of the warm December sun as they lounge on the sand in just their swim trunks. The bread is all gone, having been thrown to the obnoxious scavenger birds, and they are now laying a good distance from where the giant flock of seagulls were.

"I still don't see why you made me put on sunscreen," Alan grumbles.

"I am wearing it too. Also, if I didn't then you would end up with a horrible sunburn."

"That would be my own fault, and my own problem. I should be free to choose wether or not I put on sunscreen."

Austin just shakes his head at his husband's words and explains, "I didn't want to have to listen to you complain about how sore you are for the next week and a half because you chose not to wear sunscreen." 

With this settled Austin stands up and over to the water, leaving Alan sitting on the sand by himself. Austin is standing with the water just below his knees, staring out at the ocean, when he hears someone make their way over to him. Knowing that the person approaching him is Alan he has no reason to look, offering a simple welcome to his husband as he continues to gaze at the ocean. 

"Hey Austin, look!" The brunette turns around to face his husband and is quickly met with a bunch of water being thrown in his face.

"What the Hell, Alan!?"Austin shouts as he gapes at the smirking ginger in front of him. Alan just laughs at the drenched brunette, releasing his hold on the bucket they had brought with them so they could play in the sand. Alan's laughter is abruptly put to an end as Austin uses the discarded bucket to dump water over the ginger's head in retaliation. This quickly turns into an all out water war between the couple, only stopping when they both get tired of being in the water and decide to go back to the sand.

The boys decide to try and make a sand castle, the castle itself being one sand mold of the bucket haphazardly placed behind a carefully made moat. The moat involves a really nice tunnel that forms an X where two paths going in opposite directions meet in the center. Unfortunately the tunnel doesn't hold up for long, caving in shortly after its completion, so Austin and Alan just start expanding the hole. They use the bucket and some shovels to dig a hole that is about two feet around and about three feet deep. When they both get sick of digging Alan makes a point to just stand in the middle of the hole.

Austin just sits in the sand next to the hole talking to Alan, who continues to stand in the hole, and they both absently doodle and write words in the sand. As the time gets later Austin stands up and pulls Alan out of the hole so they can put the stuff back in the car and get changed. 

Now fully dressed and no longer totally caked in sand, but still smelling of salt water, the two of them get into the car and go to Dairy Queen to get some chicken strips and french fries. They spend some time eating their dinner, then order some blizzards to go just before they leave. With their desserts the couple drives back to the beach to just sit in the car and enjoy the rest of their evening watching the end of the sunset. After the sunset and ice cream Austin and Alan do end up making out in the backseat with the stereo playing music from Austin's phone in the background, but nothing really beyond that. 

⭐️⭐️⭐️

It is just after nine o clock when Austin and Alan return home, walking in the door to find the car seat set against the wall in the entryway. Most of the lights are turned off and the tv is playing softly in the living room, Beau sitting on the couch watching some show on the Food Network. Noticing that Alan and Austin are back Beau gets up to greet them, letting them know the general idea of how his day with Marissa went and that she is already asleep. They thank Beau for giving them the opportunity to go out for the day and tell him goodnight before he leaves to go home. A quick check on Marissa lets them see that she is in fact asleep, and they each give her a kiss on the forehead so they can take a shower and head to bed themselves.
♠ ♠ ♠
Look, I finally finished this chapter. If anyone missed it, this was the same day as the previous chapter, but Austin and Alan's experience. I think this turned out alright.

Let me know what you guys think. I love you all.