Status: Enjoy reading

The Second Step: Sophomore Year

Anticipation

Things are kinda overwhelming as of late. The cross country season is about to wrap up soon and its a long shot of me making it to CCS. Either way I have really enjoyed the season and am proud of my work. Even if I don't make CCS I will still go the CCS meet to cheer on my fellow runners. Everyone on the team has been really great and this season has been a really good bonding experience. But all things must end and with the close of cross-country comes the dawn of basketball season. For some reason I'm not that excited for this season. The prospect of me playing on varsity is still a possibility, but either way on JV or Vars it will be fine. On JV I will have a guaranteed starter spot with plenty of game time and on Vars I will have a huge growing experience through playing against players of that caliber. The only issue is the coaching staff. They all are stuck-in-their-ways old guys who have a tendency to act bipolar and run inefficient practices. But it has to be an improvement on the staff of last year.

Another thing I have been worrying about is my classwork. I'm still maintaining a 4.15 GPA, but I don't know how things will play out at the end of the year. The first concern is my Chemistry class. Our teacher is out on maternity leave so we will have a substitute teacher for the following months until after finals. Getting an A will be a piece of cake, but I am worried that I am missing out on valuable learning from my real teacher. This may or may not come back to haunt me in the future. The next concern is my history class. I am a very involved and good student in that class, but I cannot comprehend her grading style. I have gotten low grades on assignments that I (and my peers) thought I did very well on. I got a B on a poem that was probably one of the two best in the class, and those who had very stiff, lacking poems got 100%. I feel like she is trying to prove to me that I have the ability to achieve a B. I'm having more issues with this class than I am with my IB HL math class. Either way I am determined to maintain my A in this history class, whether she likes it or not.

Also, the work for the charity club has kind of increased lately. We were informed on Wednesday that we weren't allowed to be a part of club food sales on friday, so that night I had to scramble together a budget and turn them in to the dean. Then when Friday came, it seemed that we would never be able to sell the 156 donuts. But we remained selling for longer than we intended and ended up pulling out a profit of about $120 dollars so thats good. I'm not sure what we will do for fundraisers in the future, but we can deal with that later.

And the last thing on my plate is homecoming. The dance is tonight and I'm not sure how it will play out. I have a date and she seems excited to go, but there is still some doubt whether or not she really wants to go or if its just because she didn't want to say no to me. Its only an on school dance so my expectations aren't sky high, but it has to be better than last year (which I won't explain any further). I just hope my date enjoys it and that I can give her a fun night.

A lot seems to be going on recently, but it all is manageable.