Status: In progress.

The Exchange Student

Thanks Teej.

First was over, Sidney was introduced to a few teammates, and got his book. We headed back to his locker, which thankfully was on the same floor as mine. We then headed to mine before I planned on showing Sid to his second period. At my locker, we luckily ran into my locker neighbor, and best friend, Ben Bishop, the Killer Whale’s six foot seven inch goaltender.

“Hey, Bish,” I greeted. Ben looked down at me.

“Hey Dea,” he paused to look at Sid. “Who’s this?” Sidney had a mixed look of fear and wonder in his eyes.

“Oh! Benny, this is Sidney Crosby, the Whales new addition. Sid, this is Big Ben Bishop, one of the Whales netminders.” Ben stuck out a large hand for Sid to shake. Sidney grabbed his hand and gave it a firm shake.

“Nice to meet you Sidney,” Ben said as he grabbed my Psychology textbook from the top of my locker and handed it to me. I said a quiet thank you.

“Uh, you too, Ben.”

“I’ll see you in Art, D,” Ben said as he bent down so I could kiss his cheek, an almost daily ritual. Ben walked off and I could feel Sid’s gaze, so I turned to him.

“Are you guys dating?” He asked.

I shook my head, “no, he’s my big goalie buddy.” Sid crinkled his eyebrows. I just laughed, “C’mon.” I grabbed Sidney’s wrist and dragged him across the hallway. I arrived upon a group of chatting hockey players. They turned their attention on us as we approached.

"Howdy," I say peppily.

"Well hello there," said Patrick Kane, sliding smoothly into my personal space. I could feel his hand inch closer to my ass.

"Patrick Kane. You touch, you die," I growl.

"Goddamn, girl, how do you always know?"

"I am very conscientious my personal space. And right now your grubby grabber is it." Patrick pulled his hand back to his person, thankfully. "Boys, this is Sidney Crosby, your new teammate. Sidney, this Jamie and Jordie Benn, Tyler Seguin, Patrick Kane, TJ Oshie, Nathan MacKinnon, and Semyon Varlamov."

"Sid. Nice to meet you man," said Tyler as he stepped forward to grab Sidney’s hand. "I'm really excited to see how you play." Whew, I was glad Tyler was so polite to Sid, I knew Patrick and Jon wouldn’t be. Jordan was very friendly to Sid, leaning into my personal space to talk to Sidney throughout the whole first period. I know Benny and Darcy will be welcoming, and Nathan and him should get along well, being so similar. Brendan and PK will be nice, forcing Alex to be nice as well.

I can’t wait for Sidney to get settled, so he won’t be so dependent on me. It’s not that I don’t like him, but spending his whole time here with his billet family half way defeats the purpose of him being here. Hockey isn’t just a full contact sport, it’s about making connections and friends, hockey provides so many opportunities and if you’re sitting at home, well, you’re missing out.

“Thanks, I’m really excited to get playing.”

“Well, I trust you gentlemen will see Sidney to his next class?” I directed the question mostly to Tyler because he was the first to accept Sid.

“Of course, Deanna, he’s our teammate,” responded TJ.

“Thank you Teej,” I smiled sweetly. TJ was always nice to me, despite being good friends with Jon and Patrick, TJ was a gentlemen. He never tried to grab my ass, like Patrick and Jordan, or try to sweet talk me into sex after a couple of drinks at a party, like Jon and Tyler. In fact, in the latter situation, TJ has bailed me out quite a few times of Tyler’s constant harassment for me to let him ‘ give me a good fucking’ as he so crudely put it. Of course half of the time Tyler and Jon don't even remember what they say, just that they knew they were talking to me.

“Yeah, no problem. You should probably get going or you’ll be late for Psychology,” TJ said, sounding like he wanted me to leave. Not offended, because I’m sure TJ has a good reason, I agreed.

“Wait, Mr. Nelson?” Spoke up Semyon, surprising us all. I nodded slowly, surprised by his accent. I don’t know why I was, I mean he’s Russian. “Could you show me where it is? I haven’t been there yet,” his English was very good, which is good considering the only other person in this school who speaks Russian is Chuckie, and he’s from Wisconsin.

I nodded again, “sure.” I turned to Sidney, “Have a good second and third period, I’ll see you in fourth.” I patted his shoulder, and then grabbed Semyon’s wrist, guiding us both to Psychology. “So, Semyon, when did you get to Golden?” I glanced back at him.

“Uh, last Thursday.”

“That’s a strange day, did you go to school on Thursday or Friday?” He shook his head no. Huh, I just shrugged my shoulders. We actually made it to class, with the crowded ass hallways and two floors.

“Deanna!” Mr. Nelson greeted us enthusiastically. He looked at Semyon, “Who’s this?”

“This Semyon Varlamov, he’s an exchange students from Russia. Netminding for the Killer Whales.”

Mr. Nelson raised his eyebrows, “very impressive. You speak any English?” Mr. Nelson asked, and not in a condescending way or loudly like Semyon’s stupid. Just normally, that’s what I like about Mr. Nelson, he’s genuine.

“Yes, I speak English very well, in my opinion,” Semyon replied.

“You do speak English, very well,” I say.

“Thank you,” Mr. Nelson looked between the two of us.

“Well, sit where ever, Semyon.” Mr. Nelson turned to me, “will you get Semyon a textbook please?”

I nodded, “ Sure thing.” I grabbed Semyon’s hand and pulled him to sit in Matt’s usual spot. Semyon sat down while I grabbed him a Psychology textbook out of the tall cabinet in the back of the class. I sat down and gave it to him just as Matt entered the room with Gabe.

“Hey! Dea, what the hey?!” Matt exclaimed when he say his normal seat occupied.

“Matthew,” I rolled my eyes. “Sit there,” I pointed the seat on the other side of me.

“Then where am I supposed to sit?” Asked Gabe from beside Matt.

“There,” I raised my arm over Semyon’s head and point the the seat next to me. They both sat in their seats, albeit grumpily.

“Alright, today we are going to be watching a movie,” Mr. Nelson addressed the class. He was met with loud whoops and hollers. He placed in the movie and let it play, I don’t even know what this movie is, probably some independent film. I looked over at Semyon sitting with his hands on his desk, folded neatly. I had the overwhelming urge to place my hand on his thigh. I don’t know why, but I feel like touching him. Maybe it’s because it’s dark or because everyone’s distracted by this weird ass movie, but I wanted to touch him. But I didn’t. I don’t know, he’s just so hot and I just want to sit on his face. Class was over before I knew it and I stood, still seated, Semyon looked up at me. “Do you know where you’re going next?” I asked him. He pulled out a piece of paper and looked at it.

“I have Culinary 1,” he told me.

I nodded, “okay. You can come to my locker with me and meet Ben. Have you met Darcy?” I asked. He shook his no, and stood as well. I found the fact that he hadn’t meet either of his goalie partners was strange. I wondered who was billeting him, and who has been showing him around, you know, teaching him the ropes of an American school.

We headed down two floors to my locker. Ben wasn’t there but I knew he would be and I also knew he would bring Darcy with him because they both had Pre-Calc second. I opened my locker with Semyon standing behind me. Ben’s locker opened and I turned to look up at him. “Benny! have you met Semyon?” He took my book from my hand and placed it in the top of my locker for me while looking at Semyon.

“No,” he shook his head. Ben stuck a hand out for Semyon, “nice to meet you Semyon.”

Semyon grabbed his hand, “you too, Ben.”

“Semyon’s a new goaltender,” I told Ben before looking around, “where’s Darcy?”

“Oh yea, I heard, you’re really good,” Ben told Semyon, who nodded his thanks. “Darcy should be here soon, he had to drop off his Pre-Calc book. Says it gives him nausea,” Ben said seriously. Aww, poor Darcy, he struggles so much with mathematics. Darcy then appeared out of nowhere with his Culinary folder clutched in his large hands. I could tell Semyon felt intimidated. Semyon wasn’t short, unless you consider 6’2” short, but Darcy was 6’4” and Ben was 6’7”. They made everyone look short.

“Hey, Darcy, this is Semyon, your new goalie partner,” I informed Darcy.

He stuck out his hand, “nice to meet you Semyon.” Semyon returned the words.

“Darc, could you show Semyon to Mrs. Foler's class? He picked Cooking too,” I told Darcy. He loved to cook, but hardly anyone knows outside of the team, Darcy's really good too. Makes the best pan-seared sautéed chicken I have ever had.

“Yeah, totally, I actually need a kitchen partner, if you’re up for it?” Darcy asked Semyon. Semyon nodded gratefully. It was just then that I realized he wasn’t exactly comfortable with the rest of the team yet, and obviously being with his other goaltenders helped a ton.

“Great, will you make sure he gets to his next class after that too?” I asked hopefully.

“Of course, then we’ll meet you at lunch?”

“Yup, you bring Semyon and Benny and I’ll bring Sidney.” Darcy showed a questioning expression. “Sid’s my exchange student,” I stated.

“He’s a new center for the Whales,” Ben told him. Darcy nodded in understanding.

“Well, we better get to class, we’ll see you at lunch.” Dracy led Semyon down the hallway as Semyon gave me a wave. Which I returned.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had this all written out and wasn't even thinking about Chapter breaks. So sorry for the awkward ending.