The Beautiful and Undesirable

Three

Sonny left John's house with a heavy heart but couldn't yet bring himself to leave the town. So he milled around the town heading into shops, pretending that he might be able to afford to buy something in there, just for a few minutes then going to the next one.

His steps felt heavier than they normally did and he knew he shouldn't have stayed with John as long as he did. The kind sweet stranger had lodged himself in his head and Sonny missed being able to talk to him already.

John had a shower that evening and wondered where Sonny was, if he'd already left the town. Probably. He shouldn't have suggested the kid come along to the surf because all he wanted, now that the gathering wth his friends was looming, was to be able to go with Sonny. He somehow took the anxiety away. He made John feel less stressed by being there, wether it's because he was cute, strangely easy to talk to, or had a sad background, John couldn't tell. But there was something about Sonny that made John feel bigger, protective, eager to show off in a way. It made him forget, while he was with him, how scared he was of everything. Now that he'd gone, John was left alone with thickening silence and a pounding heartbeat.

It got late that night and sure enough the weather cleared up beautifully - John cursed that - which meant the party would still be on. He got changed and headed down to the beach, wishing again that Sonny was with him and he wasn't so pathetic.

Sonny sat down on a step in a doorway and pulled his phone out. He was half wondering if John might've texted him. He hadn't. He chewed his lip anxiously wondering if it would look weird if he texted him. He probably couldn't wait to get shot of him...but he had kept asking him to stay.

"AYYY!!!!!!" John laughed bashfully at Oliver screaming out and making everyone turn and look at John. Kennedy literally ran and jumped at him, nearly knocking him over with the force of his hug.

"Hey man- hey guys good to see you." Once the introductions were all done with and John had melted into a conversation with Pat and some of the others; his sweaty palms cooled and his heartbeat returned to a less anxious pace, he mingled thoroughly with all his friends and met some new ones, determined to make an effort.

"Hey, John...thanks for coming tonight, man, I know it's not easy for you." Garrett said quietly later on in the party as they stood by the water, everyone else raucously drunk further up the beach.

"Thanks."

"Oliver said you had a guy with you before?" John reached out to steady his friend who was swaying a little.

"Yeah, Sonny."

"What happened? You didn't want us to meet him?"

"It's not like that, Gar..." He said in a warning tone of voice, Garrett pouted and Jared joined them.

"Shit they're all so trashed!"

"It's like being sixteen again." John laughed with him.

"You still bugging him about that guy? Leave him alone, Gar."

"I just wanted to know! He never tells us who he's bangin'!" Garrett gestured too enthusiastically and fell on the floor. Jared and John stayed where they were talking.

"Oliver said he seemed nice."

"I love that he's gone to everyone and reported back on a guy that's not even a...date type...guy."

"A date, type, guy?" Jared mocked softly, smiling.

"He's just a friend we just met - and he's way too young for me!"

"How old is he?"

"Well he must be like seventeen/eighteen- too young, anyway."

"You haven't gotten any in...months, man. Or if you have you've kept it quiet." John rolled his eyes and helped Garrett to his feet just enough to drag him further up the beach so he could pass out and not get drowned.

"Is it any surprise with the way you all discuss it with each other after I do?" John smiled gently to let Jared know he didn't mind.

"I know it's my own fault cause I'm so closed off. I liked Sonny but we only just met and he's too young, so..anyway he's gone now, he's travelling, so.." Jared nodded.

"Well maybe there's someone here you might like, one of Mandy's friends-" John patted his shoulder.

"I appreciate the help but I'm good. Let's go." They dragged Garett with them up to the party and kept drinking and chatting with everyone else.

John ended up finding out that Jared's shop he had set up in Maine was doing so well that he could have it open full time even while they were on tour, and needed someone to manage it while he was away. John immediately thought of Sonny. But the younger man was probably already gone, probably couldn't wait to leave. But he had said how much he liked the town.....John threw his, now slightly torn down, inhibitions to the wind and called him.

Sonny's face lit up in a wide grin when John called him.

"Hey John, what's up?"

"Hey Sonny! Are you in still in Maine??"

"Yeah, why?"

"My friend Jared has a shop here and he needs someone to help him run it cause he's away so much - you got any experience?"

"I have actually yeah, shops and cafes are all the work I've ever had so.."

"Awesome! Look he said he'd be willing to give you a trial run over the weekend if you haven't got anywhere to be and see how you go. I just thought I'd let you know in case, you know..." John trailed off, cursing himself for sounding awkward.

"John that's amazing man, thank you so much for mentioning me!"

"Don't worry about it - look we're down on the beach right now so come down or go back to mine, up to you, but I think you and Jared will get on great."

"Awesome! Thanks John!" He hung up and did a little celebratory dance. That huge grin didn't leave his face all the way back towards the ocean and John's home.

An hour later, and John started to realised he had definitely drunk too much. Everything was spinning gently and some guy was flirting with him and John was so fucking horny..but then he kept remembering Sonny and eventually he made his excuses, said his drunken goodbyes to those who hadn't passed out yet, and stumbled back up the beach and to his house.

"Ey!! You're here- I'm sorry - I...got distracted...I should've come back-" Sonny nearly overbalanced when John planted a heavy hug on him.

"Don't worry about it- it's ok. So the party was good, you had fun?"

"Yeah, I did...what have you been doing? You're cold..." Sonny tried to keep his head when John took his head in his hands and felt his cold skin.

"Just been hanging around, let's get you inside you are drunk as hell!"

"Just a little bit." They both laughed at John and Sonny unlocked the door and helped him in.

"Everyone....kept asking 'bout you.." John slurred as they went up the stairs, Sonny walking behind him prepared to catch if he fell.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah..my friend Ollie..told everyone we were together..." Sonny laughed, embarrassed. Trying to push the fact that John was apparently gay too out of his head.

"Oh damn, sorry about that."

"Don't be! If anything you boosted my rep." Sonny couldn't help but laugh at him despite the fact that drunk people made him nervous, and he helped John into his bedroom.

"What did you tell them, then?" He asked as he pulled off John's sandy flip flops and reached up for his jeans as he was too spaced out to do it himself.

"I said I'm too old!!" Sonny laughed again and pulled off his jeans.

"OK grandad - you better sleep it off, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Hey- I'm glad you were still here Sonny...." He mumbled as he passed out. Sonny smiled and gently uncurled his fingers from his wrist and put his hand down gently.

The next morning John looked like death as he stumbled into the kitchen, to a glass of water, two pills and freshly brewed coffee.

"Oh you angel." John gulped back everything and then sat enjoying his second cup of coffee.

"So did you have fun in the end? I know you were a bit anxious about going." Sonny asked quietly as he cut bread and put the slices in the toaster.

"Yeah actually it was good."

"So what about Jared's shop?"

"Oh yeah!! Yeah, Jared's a really nice guy, he's got a shop that's all like surf accessories and clothes and other watersports equipment and stuff, anyway it's doing really well now and cause we're away on tour so much with the band he wants someone to help him run it while he's away."

"That's great John, I don't know if I could actually run a business myself though..?"

"Do you have any experience with like...bookkeeping and shit?"

"Yeah a little, I don't have a degree or anything though-" John waved a hand at him.

"Jared won't care about that, just see what you can do. It's no biggie if it turns out to be too much for you." Sonny nodded, nervous now. He did know about keeping the books of shops and cafes and liaising with stockists and marketing and keeping social media up to date, but surely he wouldn't be able to run a whole business by himself?!!? He didn't realise John had stood up until he ruffled his hair lazily as he walked past.

"Don't stress, Sonny, you'll be great. Coffee's amazing." Sonny his his smile and finished making their toast.

John walked Sonny to Jared's place that already had a couple of tourists in.

"Hey guys!! You must be Sonny?"

"Yeah, hi nice to meet you Jared."

"You too! So John said you've worked in a lot of shops and cafes and stuff while you've been travelling?"

"Yeah, I know a bit about book keeping and stocking products and social media and stuff, not sure I could do it all by myself but.."

"That's great, you wanna try out with me here the next couple days and see how you go?"

"Ok, yeah that would be great. Thank you."

"Excuse me? Do you have these in the next size up?" The woman in the shop asked, gesturing to a pair of sneakers her husband was trying on.

"We do! There you go, first job - the stock room's upstairs." Sonny took the show from the woman and jogged upstairs.

"He's cute."

"And too young."

"He's hella cute."

"I know but he-"

"Ok fine. He's super super cute though, John. You guys looked like a couple when you walked in." John rolled his eyes and punched Jared's shoulder teasingly.

"Right I'm going before you start planning the wedding. See you later - don't work hm too hard."

"Why cause you want him to have some energy left lat- Sonny hey, you found them?" John laughed and left with a quick wave to Sonny.

John spent most of the day on the phone between their manager and the other band members. He wanted to set them up on another tour next spring/summer. John was completely fine with that, the others came round to the idea as well. It just meant they needed to get the next album out before then, John was glad to have the work lined up.

Sonny came back that night in a great mood, buzzing about the shop and Jared, John sat with a smile on his face in the restaurant they'd chosen and listened to him talk as they waited for their food to arrive and once it had.

"I'm so sorry I've been talking this whole time-" John held a hand up.

"Don't be, I'm glad you liked it. Its nice hearing you so...." He gestured to the big smile on his cheeks and Sonny laughed bashfully.

They stayed in the restaurant for over an hour after they'd finished eating, so engrossed in their conversation. Sonny wouldn't let John pay.

"No you've given me so much already let me do this."

"Yeah to help you out, I'm not letting you pay for mine." Sonny pulled a face until he relented begrudgingly then the smile was back. John couldn't resist that smile.

"So if all goes well tomorrow too, you reckon you'll stick around?" John tried not to sound too hopeful.

"Yeah I hope so. I like it here." John couldn't hide his smile, and decided it wasn't yet the right time to tell Sonny that he'd be off on tour in a few months.

The next day Sonny came in much less enthused.

"What happened? Did it not go well?"

"No it's...it was fine I just...." Sonny plonked himself down on the couch and looked at his hands, shaking his head slightly.

"What? Sonny what's wrong?"

"I.....Jared offered me the job!!!!!" He leapt out his seat, John did the same.

"Wow!!! Oh my god Sonny that's great!!!" They hugged one another tightly, for a bit too long, then stepped apart awkwardly.

"I'm so glad, Sonny. So this means you're sticking around for a bit longer?"

"Yeah!! And I'll find somewhere to stay, I've imposed on you for long enough and-"

"Don't be dumb, stay here!"

"I can't-"

"Why not?"

"Ok but I'm paying you rent including the time I've stayed here so far - and don't argue with me!" Sonny interjected when John moved to protest again.

"Ok fine but not a lot, and not including the time you've spent here so far. Just split the bills with me and I'll be happy."

"We'll see. Thank you so much for all your help."

"It's cool you got it on your own. I just introduced you."

"Well, thanks anyway." John smiled and watched him go up the stairs before catching himself. Sonny was his friend. That's it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally back on it!!!! I really hope there's some of you still interested in actually reading this story!! I'm so excited about it again suddenly and I've got so many ideas for the upcoming chapters - hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you did please subscribe or recommend, and if you have any thoughts leave a comment and let me know!!!