The Beautiful and Undesirable

Six

John did a good job of hiding his feelings in front of Sonny, but when he was alone or with the band he was depressed and unmotivated. Which wasn't great considering he'd nearly blown their interviews in New York, and they had more along with a show in California to warm up for the tour.

"Woah- what's with all the cases? You guys got some shows?" Sonny asked as he walked in the door and the whole band were waiting for their manager to turn up in a cab.

"Yeah- oh, there's Tom, let's go load up." Jared said, practically shoving everyone out the door and shooting a supportive glance at John.

"Yeah we've got a show in Cali tomorrow night and a load of interviews."

"Awesome!"

"Yeah...it's a warmup for a tour." Sonny stopped making himself a coffee and turned round.

"Oh? When?"

"First show's at the beginning of April in Berlin...the last is in New York....at the end of June." Sonny gaped at him.

"Three months?!" John nodded.

"Wow...what about the shop?"

"If I may-" Jared walked back in. "I obviously want you to take care of it as you have been since you started it. I trust you."

"Jared-"

"You can do it, you've been handling it all - and if you need anything I'm always at the end of the phone."

"Ok..wow. Thank you." They shook hands and shared a hug before Jared headed out to the minivan and left them alone.

"I guess I'll see you when you get back then."

"Yeah. See you in a couple days. Don't take any shit from Cole or his boys ok?"

"I won't." Sonny watched him leave and felt a heavy cloud of sadness fall over him as they drove away.

"He'll be fine." Jared said quietly as they headed off for the airport.

"If those assholes stay away he will be."

"He's tougher than you think." John thought back to all those scars- yeah, Sonny was tougher in a lot of ways, but he was more vulnerable in others too. If Cole caused any trouble for Sonny while they were gone, John would kill him.

Their show was fantastic, one of the best John had ever played. The crowd was so responsive and hyped up, they put him in such a great mood that John forgot for a few hours all about Sonny.

"Fuck yeah...yeah-" Cole jerked forwards and spilled into his mouth. Sonny swallowed and Cole pulled him back to his feet and kissed him as he always did. What was he doing?? He missed John. Sonny didn't even want to think about how that all connected and just leant against the blonde heavily.

"My brothers are gonna be back soon..."

"Ok. I'll go-"

"You don't have to. Why don't you stick around for a while?"

"I don't really gel all that well wit-"

"Please?" Sonny sighed and stayed. The guys came home and they ended up buying a load of takeout and watching football. At least with them shouting and staring at the screen all night, Sonny could gain their respect without having to talk to any of them and Cole was able to touch his hand every now and then and shoot him sweet smiles.

"I called the girls round." Sonny and Cole tensed and Alex and some of their friends started making vulgar jokes.

"I'm gonna get going."

"What? Cmon man the party hasn't even started yet."

"Yeah - Angel said she was more bringing friends too-"

"I bet the redhead will like him." Ben said, gesturing a thumb in Sonny's direction. A murmur of agreement flooded the room.

"Just not in the mood guys-"

"Last time you said 'next time' now come on - get in the mood."

"We'll go get more beers." Cole offered, punching Sonny's arm.

"That's more like it."

"I'm going home." Sonny snapped when they got outside.

"They will notice, Sonny."

"I don't give a shit. I didn't sign on for this."

"I know, I'm sorry-"

"Just shut up." When they returned it was a full blown party and there was a sickening amount of sex going on in full view of everyone else.

"Thanks for warning me." Sonny hissed as they headed into the kitchen past a semi naked couple.

"Just-"

"There you are!!! Hey!"

"Iz, hey..." Sonny stood there awkwardly as Cole's girlfriend practically sucked his face off.

"This is Sonny."

"Hey you! I've heard so much about you!" Sonny didn't return the hug she planted on him.

"Funny that, I've barely heard anything about you." Cole was rigid as a wall watching them fearfully.

"really? Well I'm sure we'll get on great! Listen, my friend Hayley is super interested in you-"

"I'm not really looking for a girl right now-"

"Aw come on! I swear she's super cute! She's even shorter than me and she's size 2 and she's got this amazing auburn hair - she's gorgeous, you'll love her." Izzy ran off and within seconds had brought her friend back who was already drunk.

Izzy pounced on Cole again and Sonny had to try and protest as her friend wanted to do the same to him.
"I'm just not really up for a relationship right now, yknow?"

"Oh totally get it - I'm not either, we can just have some fun together, right?"

"I'm not really feeling it tonight to be honest, I just stayed cause the guys asked me to- you know how they are-"

"Oh...I get it..you're not interested.." She said sadly.

"No no no! It's not you- you're...gorgeous!! But I'm just not in the mood and you're drunk and I'd feel bad so.." She perked up again in a second.

"Oh don't worry about that! I've been wanting to meet you for weeks now! Don't feel like you're taking advantage - gosh you are such a gentleman!" He shoved her back firmly by her hips when she started tonguing his ear.

"Ok! That's it- I'm sorry- I'm gonna be honest with you here-"

"Sonny!" Cole broke his kiss with his girlfriend to shout at him.

"I'm gay. That's why I'm not interested in sleeping with you." Thankfully that stunned her into silence.

"Wow. Ok...why is it always the cute ones?!" She left. Thank god. Cole was staring at him, dumbfounded, and Izzy was watching as Alex shoved a girls hand out of his shorts and walked over.

"Did I just hear that right?"

"Yep. Big ol' fairy, standing right here."

"You've been lying to all of us- what a fucking creep."

"Alex, come on-"

"Shut up Izzy. Get the fuck out of my house."

"With pleasure - never wanted to be here in the first place. I only stayed cause Cole asked me to."

"Speaking of- did you know about this?!" Ben shouted at his younger brother who flinched a little and met Sonny's eyes for a few seconds.

"Sort of...I wondered...

"Why would you wanna hang round with someone like that?"

"Because he was fun and he never announced it to me, and I never saw him wth a guy but then I never saw him with a girl either so..it was none of my business, yknow."

"Probably been hanging around waiting to get with one of us- well it ain't happening."

"I've turned down much better than you, thanks. I'm relieved." That earned him a punch to the stomach. He kept his cool and left the house, deleting Cole's number from his phone as he went.

Never again.

John called Sonny while they were celebrating another great show.
"Hey."

"Hi, how'd the show go?"

"Great thanks! Really awesome! How are you doing?"

"Fine thanks."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah just...had a thing with Cole's family - I'm never going near him again."

"Well..is everything ok?"

"Yeah for sure. What time you back tomorrow?"

"Afternoon I think."

"Ok, see you then! Safe flight." Sonny hung up before John could say anything else and curled up in his bed, sad, hurt, and alone.

John couldn't wait to get home. He was jittery until the second he got back in the house and saw that Sonny was safe. He forgot himself and hugged the teen tightly. It was only Sonny's brief grunt of pain that made him let go.

"What happened?! Are you hurt!?!"

"It's nothing." John stared at him sternly until he gave in. He lifted his hoodie and t shirt up, John's stomach clenched with arousal in spite of himself as he revealed his low slung jeans and tight abs, but then the light skin was blemished by a dark purple bruise and John's emotions immediately switched to anger.

"Which one of them hurt you?"

"John-"

"Dont even bother, Sonny. Which one?"

"You're not going round there-"

"Yes I am! I'll fight all of them if I have -" Sonny yanked him back when he turned to storm out and pulled his head down to touch his.

"I don't want them to hurt you too." The way he said it shocked John into stillness for a few seconds and he calmed down begrudgingly.

"Fine, yeah, ok, but we're going to the pol-"

"Don't even think about it."

"Why?!"

"Look, it's over now. I've told Cole I want nothing to do with him, I stood up for myself in front of his whole family, I'm done - I've severed ties. It's finished. If you go to the police there will be backlash, I just never want to see them again."

"...fine. But if they give you any more hassle-"

"Then you have full permission to help me kick their butts." John nodded, Sonny have him a cheeky, persuasive smile and John gave in and chuckled at him.

"Ok." Sonny gave him a hug.

"Missed you, roomie. I'll make food."
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them! Thank you for reading :)