London Bridge Is Falling

Expiration Of The Unexpected

We slowly make our way to the flare site. Luke behind me, Jenna in front of me, Lucy beside me. We're all scared, we're all trying to survive out here.

"Okay, what now?" Jenna asks as she points at the building.

"We go up until we find those people" I said. "Stay close"

We race up a flight of stairs, it seems like it'll never end.

"I need a break" Lucy says.

We all sit down and get something to drink. The past few weeks have pushed me to become something I never thought I'd become, A survivor. A screech echoes below us, a group of other screeches follow.

"Infected!" Luke yelled.

We all jumped up in a panic and headed up the stairs. We ran, not knowing when the Infected would catch up to us. The guy behind Lucy tripped, there was no time to go back for him. He was left to die. We kept running and running until met a man at the top of the stairs. He had a bat in his hand and his face was covered with a mask that had a painted skull on it.

"Any infected?" He asked.

"No!" Jenna yelled.

"Move along" He opened up and metal door then closed it behind us.

Down the hall a little was another metal door with light shinning through. An African American girl stood there with a machete and a red bandanna tied around her short black hair.

"Make yourselves at home" She said, opening the door.

We all huddled inside, standing in the living room awkwardly. The guy and the girl walked inside, he locked the door behind him.

"Name's James and this is Selena" He removed his mask and held out his hand. He looked about 45 and Selena looked younger, maybe 32. We all shook his hand.

"We've been sending up flares for days now" Selena said. "We're just glad a few others are alive"

"We are too" Luke said, smiling.

"There's plenty of food and water here" James made his way into the kitchen and gathered a few cans of beans.

That night, we dined on heaven. We haven't ate since the outbreak in Paris. We went over a few plans, going to Manchester, there's supposed to be a safe haven there. But who knows. James wants to leave as soon as possible. He has a truck in the basement garage filled with supplies. We all agree to head out in the morning.

I lay down on the hard wood floor and cover myself up. James blows out the only candle lighting the small room. I feel a hand brush against my cheek.

"I couldn't sleep alone" Luke says as he snuggles next to me.

I turn around and look into his eyes. "Think we'll make it to Manchester?"

"Hopefully, Dylan" He kissed my lips and closed his eyes. He mumbled the words 'I love you' just before he dozed off. I wrapped my arm around him and cuddled into his chest. His warmth set my mind at ease, and I need exactly that at the moment.