London Bridge Is Falling

Things Which Have Not Been Tried

I awoke the next morning, the smell of french toast filled my nose.

"Good morning" Selena said as she handed me a plate.

I took a bite, the taste sent my mouth into a frenzy. I haven't had good food for awhile now.

"How is it?" She asked.

"It's amazing" I replied.

Luke was still laying beside me, asleep. His eyes shut tight. I leaned down and kissed his cheek, he smiled.

"It's about time I get some action" He laughed.

"Yeah, you wish" I playfully punched his shoulder.

"Morning lovely ones" Lucy walked into the room. "I slept fairly well"

"We're leaving in a few minutes. Everyone needs to be packed and ready" Selena said.

We all got our stuff ready and headed for the front door. James looked around, it was clear. We slowly made our way a little down the stairs. Infected were gathering at the bottom, they knew we were there. They ran, screeching as they stumbled up the winding stairs.

"Let's go!" James yelled.

We crammed into a small elevator. Selena pushed the 'Basement' button repeatedly. The doors closed slowly, slow enough for an Infected to reach it's arm in and grab at us. Jenna sliced off it's arm, spewing blood all over the doors as they finally slid shut. Well all were breathing heavily, once we got going we let out a sigh of relief and laughed a little.

"Shit that was close" Luke said, grabbing my hand.

"Look, once we get down there, we're probably gonna find tons of them. Just keep running" James pulled out his pistol as the elevator dinged, signaling our stop.

The doors slid open, smearing the blood. We all eased out, looking around. There was nothing for the first couple feet. As we inched our way towards the car, Infected spotted us. We ran for the car that was just up ahead. James hit the button to unlock the taxi.

"Hurry the fuck up!" He yelled, jumping into the drivers side.

Selena sat in front with James, Luke and I in the middle, Jenna and Lucy in the very back. James put the car in reverse and swung us around. We took off through the garage. We flew over destroyed cars. We all held on like our lives depended on it.

"Alright, hold on" James said as we smashed through a pile of non working cars.

We finally made it out, Selena in the front seat giggling to herself like she enjoyed the ride. I looked back, the Infected were still chasing us but they soon gave up. The sunlight peered through the windows, it was a devastatingly beautiful day in London. Luke laid his head on my shoulder and grasped my hand tight. I couldn't stop thinking about Jake, he was haunting my thoughts, my dreams, and my emotions. I rolled down the window and let the cool breeze touch my face, it was like nothing had happened, all my worries vanished when the air flowed in.

"How far are we from Manchester?" Jenna asked.

"About 205 miles" James replied, smiling. "It's gonna be a long journey, eh?"

"Sounds like it" She laughed and pressed her head against the window.

An hour passed, we had switched seats after stopping to get food. Selena sat in the back with Lucy, they played cards, laughing and having a good time. Jenna sat up front, Luke and I still in the middle, talking about our past. I felt more connected to Luke, he had lost someone too in the outbreak...His Grandparents that he loved more than anything in the world. I let Luke rest, he needed it after what he told me. I watched Lucy and Selena play cards, they got along like they've been best friends for years.

"Are you scared?" James asked me.

"Of what?"

"Of what might be in Manchester"

"Kinda" I replied. "We just need to realize that there might not be anything there"

He smiled. "Stay positive, son"

We stopped in a field, eating and setting up camp for the night. James was tired, we all were. Selena and James set up a small parameter while Lucy got dinner ready on the portable stove. Jenna, Luke and I set up the sleeping bags, everyone had to stay together, that was the main rule. As night fell, we ate our food and roasted marshmallows over a small fire. We laughed and told stories about the days before the outbreak. Everything seemed normal, calm, relaxing. I fell asleep in a sleeping bag beside Luke. I felt safe with James there, he was like a step-dad, protective and willing to do anything to help someone. I woke up throughout the night. James was sitting on a stump a few feet away.

"Come look" He said, realizing I had awoke.

I made my way over and sat beside him. "What?" I asked.

He pointed straight ahead. "They're so free and beautiful" In the distance, horses ran through the meadow nearby, they were beautiful, they were also free.

"C'mon" I said. "You need sleep, we have a big day ahead of us"

The next morning came quick. We all packed up after eating a delicious breakfast. Once again, we were out on the open road. We passed the windfarm, it was beautiful, the turbines moved slowly with the air. James came to a complete stop in the middle of the highway.

"There's Manchester" He said, running his fingers through his hair.

"It's completely fucked" Luke said.

"Useless" Selena chimed in.

Manchester was burning to the ground. Smoke billowed up from the buildings and the occasional mushroom cloud would shoot into the sky.

"It looks like they just bombed not too long ago" Jenna said.

"We'll head in that direction and see what we can find" James put the car in drive and continued down the highway. We stopped at a small Military Blockade, there was nothing left. Trucks and ammo stashed were discarded, a non functional helicopter. We were all losing hope, this trip was for nothing. Manchester is gone, that means the safe haven is gone too, we were fucked with nowhere to go...