London Bridge Is Falling

Experimental Sound And Reason

A few days had passed. I was finally up and walking again, it felt good to stand on my own. I went down to Lucy's lab and watched her work on the vaccine. She was so concentrated, she looked through a microscope and quickly jot down notes.

"How's it coming?" I asked.

"So far so good" She said, smiling. "It's a long process though"

Gunshots from upstairs rung through my ears. Lucy looked at me and we both took started running towards the sound. I pushed open the door and seen Amanda standing there, pointing a gun at James. He was laying on the ground, blood gushing from his throat.

"Amanda!" Lucy yelled as she walked into the room. "What have you done?"

"I had to..." She said, pointing the gun at Lucy. "The virus was supposed to be England only" She smiled.

"What?!" I asked, steam rolling from my head.

"It was a Bio-terrorism repellent...It was supposed to kill the enemy. So a group of scientists and military tried it in London. It worked, but it wasn't supposed to spread. It was supposed to kill everyone"

"How dare you!" I yelled. "You wiped out an entire population for what? A bio-chemical testing?!"

Selena and Luke ran to James' rescue. Luke shook his head, we all knew what that meant.

"You cannot use that vaccine" She raised the gun at Lucy's head. "The virus is not meant to be cured. The military is on their way to seize the vaccine and all of you"

"You betrayed us, you bitch" Selena slapped her across the face, making her drop the gun. Selena bent down and picked it up. "Tell me why I shouldn't splatter your brains all over the wall"

Amanda smirked, not saying a word. The smell of fire filled the air. "Too late" Amanda said.
Selena pulled the trigger, not feeling any remorse.

Lucy ran down to her lab, then back up to us. "It's burning, they're burning it...burning everything. The vaccine is destroyed" Tears rolled down her face. "Let's get the fuck out of here before they kill us"

Suddenly blood sprayed on the floor and Lucy hunched over. A bullet pierced her leg. I picked her up and we all moved out into the hall. It must have been a sniper from the building next to us. Behind us, military grouped up. We ran as fast as we could. I seen a window at the end of the hall.

"There!" I yelled.

Selena busted out the window, it was a long way down but I know we could do it. Selena went out first, then Lucy. She hit the ground hard but she managed to do it. Luke went out, then me. We ran into the parking garage and hopped into an ambulance. Luke hotwired it and then we were off. We didn't know where to go, we were just driving away from hell.
Selena sat in the back, wrapping Lucy's leg. She had tears in her eyes, she had just lost her father figure but she couldn't let that stop her from surviving. We passed the windfarm that we seen on the way to Manchester. Luke grabbed my hand and held it tight.

"We're in this together" He smiled. "I promise"

"I know, Luke. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole experimental cluster fuck" I wiped the sweat from my forehead. "The Military aren't even following us which is weird"

"Maybe they don't care" Luke said.

"Or they have a plan for us"

"Either way" He said. "We'll make it through this"

Selena popped her head up in between us. "Lucy is okay, there was pain meds back there, I made her take some. She'll be asleep for awhile" She smiled and rested her hand on my shoulder. "I can't believe what Amanda told us. What are they planning next, global destruction!?"

"I honestly don't know" I said. "It's probably nothing good"

We entered London at sundown. It was dreary, blank, no creature was left.

"We can go back to the hotel Jake and I were staying at. It's in the part that wasn't firebombed" I suggested.

"Sure, lead the way" Luke said, smiling.

We drove down a beautiful road with small stores lined up. At the end of the street was the hotel. We parked out front and entered through the spinning doors. We all had our guns ready, flashlights illuminating the darkness. Dead bodies were everywhere, the floor was a bloodbath. The clerks were dead, holding hands, it looked like a suicide. We slowly made our way up the winding stairs and hit the fourth floor, where our room was. The red carpet in the hall still looked beautiful, the flowers on the shelves weren't so lucky. They were wilted and ugly. Selena picked the lock and pushed open the door. I walked in, taking in the smell. There was still an aroma in the air, Jake's cologne. I looked at the bed, the bed we made love in, I went to the balcony and stared out at the skyline. Luke came up beside me.

"Lot's of emotions?" He asked.

"Tons, but it's okay...I have you" I grabbed his hand. "I just wish...I dunno, I wish this whole virus thing didn't happen"

"We all do, Dylan...We all do"

I leaped into his arms and cried. All my emotions poured out into his shoulder. He hugged me tight and kissed the top of my head. I just wish everything was back to normal, I wish I didn't come to London, I wish a lot of things but that wasn't gonna change the past. Selena and Lucy joined us. The cool air in the night flowed through us. We took in the view, it was beautiful even in all of it's chaos.
A few hours had passed, I was lying on the floor, Luke next to me. His arm wrapped around my body. I couldn't sleep, I had too much on my mind. Like why the military wasn't following us, why did they kill millions of innocent people, why did they let it get out of hand. My brain hurt from all the questions. But I couldn't think about it now. I had to move on, I needed rest.