London Bridge Is Falling

Days Numbered With Friction

We sprint to a nearby house and lock ourselves inside. The Infected look for us outside, but the eventually disappear.

"They still out there?" Jill asks as I look through the blinds.

"No...I don't see them" I reply.

"God Damn, they're fast" Lucy says, taking a seat on the couch.

"Don't get too comfortable, we still don't know if there's anyone here" Daniel makes his way around the house, shutting every blind and stacking stuff in front of the windows.

"We all need to stay together" Scarlet suggests, laying a blanket down on the floor. "Let's sleep here tonight and leave in the morning"

A couple hours pass. I awake to see Jake in the kitchen, looking at family pictures attached to the fridge. He's using a candle for light, it smells like apple cinnamon, it makes my stomach growl. I slowly walk up behind him and kiss his neck. He turns towards me, tears running down his cheek.

"What if I die again" He says quietly.

"You won't" I say sternly.

"But what if, Dylan?"

"What if I die...What will you do then?" I ask.

"Dylan...Don't say that"

"Jake...You aren't going to die"

Just as I finish my sentence, A group of Infected bust through the window and head for Jake and I. I grab a knife from the counter and slice at one. But it tosses me down on the floor and pins me, it's teeth inches from my neck. There's a scream and it flies off of me. Jake stabbed it over and over so many times, you couldn't recognize if it was an Infected or a mangled human. In the living room, Selena has her signature machete, swinging it around. But these Infected have mutated and they are too advanced for our moves. Lara takes a knife to the back of it's head and stabs it hard. Jill stabs one in the back and pins it to the floor.

"Rope!" She yells. "Get me some rope!"

It takes us all to finally get it tied down. And when the sun comes up, we watch it turn back into a normal Infected. It pretty amazing to see. Lucy kills it and we move on. We walk outside, the light blinds us all. It's sunny but freezing, we're all bundled up like Eskimo's. There's no Infected out on the streets yet. Which gives us an advantage, we can finally relax but only for a few minutes. We sit down on the curb and eat breakfast, it consists of apples and power bars. It's not fulfilling but at least it's something. I lay my head on Jake's shoulder and look over at Selena. She smiles and makes kissy faces at me. I throw my eaten apple at her and laugh. I can't even begin to explain how much I missed everyone.

"So" Jill says. "Dylan...What happened to Jacob?"

"He died" I said. "Right after he got back home...He was helping clean up the Infected one night and a group of Neo-Eo rebels killed him"

"Neo-Eo?" Jill asked.

"A rebel group that will stop at nothing to expose the virus to everyone...But B.T.A.R supposedly killed the last remaining group"

We pack up and move, they'll eventually find out we're here. We continue down the road, it's completely empty and lifeless. Daniel and Scarlet walk a little behind the group, holding hands. They've always seemed happy together, even in the worst times. A sharp object zips by my ear and slices it. I fall to the ground and retreat behind a car.

"Sniper!" Daniel yells. "Everyone down!"

Lara slowly raises up a bit and looks through her scope. "He's at the building across the street. Third floor up. I can take him out!" She aims for a few seconds then shoots. "Got him!" She yelled, the air getting foggy with each deep breath she took.

Selena digs the medical kit out of her bag and dabs an alcohol pad on it.
"Lucky it was only grazed" She said, smiling.

"Yeah...I would've been ear-less. Can you imagine that?" I laugh.

"I can actually" She smiles once again. "Your knight in shining armor is coming"

"Hey" Jake says as Selena leaves.

"Hey" I reply.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine" I say softly. "Nothing to worry about"

We continued on, not looking back. We had to focus on the mission. A few long and drawn out hours later, the sun was setting. But we wanted to keep moving, if we just kept quiet, the Infected wouldn't know we were here.
We walked, still no sign of Infected. I stepped on a loose stone and fell to the ground, a rope tied around my ankle. I was being drug farther and farther. I could hear male voices, not ones from the group. Then gunshots and a body fall beside my face. Everything went dark after that.