London Bridge Is Falling

Variations Under Domestication

The prison was nothing but ash and the moon was just peeking in the midnight sky. Infected gathered in small groups in the distance. They growled, tasting our blood from afar. I couldn't get the image out of my head. His face being mauled by the smooth, cold and dull knife. It slices into his head over and over, not missing a beat. I snap out of the trance and grab Jake's hand, squeezing it tight. He can tell I'm afraid, he can tell I'm scarred.

"It's over, Dylan" He said softly, rubbing my cheek with his index finger.

"I know...I just can't get it out of my head...Did I go too far?"

"No" He replied. I know he's lying...

I walk over to Selena, breaking Jake and I's handhold. "How're you?" I ask her.

"Unscathed" She smiled. "I'm fine. They didn't hurt me"

"Good" I smiled and retreated back to Jake's hand.

We stopped in the middle of the street, listening to the Infected roar in the alley beside us. Their eyes glow bright yellow and their breaths show in the cold air. They sniff like they smell something distasteful. They're sniffing us.
We pull out our weapons and walk slowly away from group of Infected. But they're too cunning for us. They come out of the alley then sprint for us. We start running but we're too slow for the mutated versions of the undead. An Infected leaps onto a car then tackles Jill, we try to save her but it rips out her throat. She's still alive but gurgling on her own blood, she finally dies. It's a slow and agonizing dead. That's the last we'll ever see of her.

We just continue to run as fast as we can. Daniel and Scarlet slowly catch up with us. Lara is leading the group, she's the fastest and most athletic out of all of us. She jumps up and grabs onto a ladder, bringing it down to the ground. She points to the roof, it's risky, we've seen what the mutated Infected could do but maybe they can't climb. We all make our way to the roof of a small post office building. Lara is still behind, pulling up the ladder so the Infected don't follow. But a few of them latch themselves to the stairs and start pulling. The bolts release one by one and the flight of rusty stairs starts to fall. Lara jumps just as they plummet to the ground.

"Daniel!" She yells as his hand wraps around hers. He pulls her up. Her eyes were wide, like they were glued open.

"You okay?" Daniel asks.

"Yeah" She replies, taking in deep breaths.

We all relax for awhile but it's hard. The Infected gather around the building. They roar and scratched at the brick walls below us. I fall asleep in Jake's lap, once I awake, the sun is beating down on my face. It's warmer than yesterday but it's still cold. I take in a deep breath, the air fills my lungs. Jake is still asleep. He's beautiful.
I don't want to wake him, but I do anyway.

"Morning" He says softly, smiling at me.

"Good morning" I say back.

I stand up, stretch and then walk over to the edge of the building. All the Infected are gone. Now is our chance to get down. After everyone wakes up, we come up with a plan to tie a rope to the pole on the roof and repel down. Daniel goes first to make sure it's clear, he gives the signal and the rest of us follow. I go back to where Jill died, but her body is gone and there's only a puddle of dried blood, no marks from Infected dragging her away.

"Jill's body is gone" I say as I walk back to the group.

"Weird" Selena replies. "Maybe the Infected took her"

"Yeah...Maybe" I shake off the thought of Infected dining on her flesh.

We continue on down the road. According to the GPS, Veronika Valentina's hideout is only a couple hours away on foot. We'll be there in no time. The air is silent, our boots tromp against the pavement. The city looks like it hasn't been tended to in years. There's military checkpoints at almost every block. But no one is there, no military, no humans. Just us and a pile of charred bodies. Bodies that looked like they had been lined up and shot. I'm starting to think that the military is the last people we should trust. After all, they did eradicate London.
We stop at one of the checkpoints and rest. Before the military fled, they stocked up on ammo, I'm guessing just in case they needed to come back. We took the remaining ammunition and MRE's and headed out.