London Bridge Is Falling

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

I can't shake these nightmares. We're all having them. We're all victims of something horrible. I push myself off the floor and make my way over to the window. It's snowing, and it's not a light snow. It's a white out.

"Shit" I say quietly.

It seems like we've been stranded in this apartment forever, but in reality...It's only been two and a half days. The days are short but the night's are longer. The nightmares last forever, there's no getting rid of them. Something in my body clicks and I fall to the ground. It's like I'm paralyzed. My eyes shut and I'm taken to a forest. A little girl runs by me, she's happy and her long brown hair flows gracefully in the wind. It's warm here. She stops, struck by fear. An Infected stands in front of her, she screams and cries for help. But as much as I try, I can't help her. She looks into my eyes as she dies.
I wake up with a violent muscle spasm and see the others staring at me.

"You passed out...Most likely from dehydration" Selena says as she hands me a bottle of water.

"Thanks" I reply.

It's 9:00AM. We're finally packing our stuff and getting out of the apartment building. Once by one, we climb down the ladder that leads to the street. It's freezing, the snowflakes feel like knives slicing into my skin. I try to ignore the cold, but it's impossible. A few hundred feet away is the Capitol building. It's tall and has lost most of it's coloration. Our target is supposed to be in there. We climb the steps up to the entrance and surprisingly, the doors are unlocked. We walk in, there's no sounds except our shoes against the cement floor. We look around but there's nothing to look at. The building was pillaged and there was only rolling chairs left.

"Let's head downstairs...Labs are normally underground, right?" Daniel said with a smirk on his face.

"I guess" Lucy smiled.

We made our way down the long flight of stairs. The power was out, the power was out everywhere. The flashlights attached to our guns were our only source of light down here. We got so far down and had to stop. The rest of the staircase was filled with water. We had no other choice, we had to go in it.

"Fuck" Selena said loudly. "It's bloody freezing"

"I know" I replied. "But it's the only way down..."

I dove under and started swimming. Bodies floated around in the water, bodies of lawyers, business workers, normal humans doing normal things. But we failed to keep the virus contained. I found a door, I could see that there was no water on the other side. I kicked it with all my might and the door flung open, draining out me and some of the water. It was now waist high, bad but not too bad. There was still nothing, it seemed like every part of this building was ransacked except for something down the hall. There was a flashing green light at an elevator. Cautiously, I walked towards it. I pressed a button and the doors slid open with a ding.

"Guys" I said. "I found something"

We piled into the elevator and pressed the button that said 'Laboratory'
"I guess all labs ARE underground" Selena said, chuckling.

As we got closer to our destination, we all aimed our weapons at the doors, preparing for what awaited us at the bottom. The elevator violently stopped and the doors slid open. There was power down here, every hall and every room was lit up with bright white lights. The floors were white, the walls were white, the ceilings were white. My head throbbed with the lack of dark colors. We rounded corners and more corners until we came to the office...the office that held our target. Daniel kicked open the door and charged in. But there was no one waiting for us, no one there to try and kill us. Just lab works and pictures of Ben Allin...The leader of the military group that saved me and brought my group back. Reading some of the files on her desk and looking through her computer...We find out that...She, is not our enemy...Ben Allin is and we were deceived by the one we trusted.