London Bridge Is Falling

Locked in a binding experiment

We sat behind a pile of wood, listening to the gunshots. It's been hours since we last seen the group of burnouts, it was getting dark. Jake held me close, I could hear the beat of his heart. I laid my head on his shoulder and squeezed his hand.

"Scared?" He asked.

"Yeah" I said, whispering softly.

"I'll protect you" He smiled and ruffled my hair.

Lights from outside suddenly clicked off. Our only light source was gone. I closed my eyes and hoped for the lights to come on, the kind of thing you do when the power goes off at your house and then it's back on when your eyes open. But nothing happened.
Dark red lights appeared one at a time outside, backup lights. Just outside the wall of frosted glass, hands gathered, more and more, Moaning continuously and others would puke out something on the glass, I'm sure it was blood. There were people in the building with Jake and I. They'd run from wood pile to wood pile, making sure everyone was okay.

"Hey" A lady said.

"Yeah?" Jake replied.

"We're getting out of here. Soon enough, those things are gonna break through that glass" She pointed at the figures outside, slamming their fists over and over on the windows.

"Okay, we'll follow" He said, standing and pulling me off the floor.

At the back door was two people dressed in desert camo. One girl, and one guy. They both had guns attached to their side.

"Woah" Jake stopped. "I'm not going anywhere with these idiots" He pointed to the military members.

"We abandoned post...We're not working for them anymore. We also have a helicopter outside of the city. Your choice, kid"

"Okay...But my boyfriend and I need a weapon..."

The girl smiled at me, and I gave a faint smile back. They handed us a pistol and a small holster that clips onto our belt.

"Alright, My name is Scarlet and this is Daniel. We left after we ordered to kill anything that moves"

"Cheery" I said to myself.

"All we know is that the infected are fast. They don't take their time, they bite and move on"

"Kinda like a virus just trying to spread itself" Scarlet said. "Stay low and stay alert"

We gathered up the six or seven people and waited at the back door. The crowd at the front was continuing to get bigger the longer we stayed.

"On my count" Daniel. He counted down on his fingers and swung open the door quietly.

"Stay close" Scarlet whispered.

I looked back at Jake, making sure he was behind me. He smiled, a fake smile. He was scared, we all were. We crouched down some while staying against a brick wall. All the lights had disappeared, but we could still see somehow. There was no voices, just shoes against ground.

Daniel held up his fist, signaling to stop. He looked back at Scarlet and nodded. He rounded the corner and the rest of us followed. We sprinted across the street to another wall.

"Against the wall" Daniel whispered.

A helicopter flew over us, lighting the area only a tiny bit. Daniel nodded and we were moving again.
A light humming noise passed my ear. Blood sprayed behind Jake. A bullet had hit the girl behind him. She fell to the ground, a head shot; dead instantly.

"Sniper!" Scarlet yelled softly.

We took off, running for our lives. The adrenaline pumped through my veins. Another bullet hit the ground in front of me, sending shards of asphalt flying into the air. Scarlet hit the ground.
The bullet grazed her thigh. Jake and I pulled her up while Daniel wrapped gauze around the wound. Another person fell. He was shot in the throat. Blood soaked the pavement. It took me a second to realize what was happening, I was dazed by all the death.
Daniel grabbed Scarlet and held her up while we continued to evade the sniper.

"In here!" Scarlet yelled.

He sat her down on a small flight of stairs and removed the rifle from his back. He aimed for a few seconds and shot.

"Got him" He said. He turned around and kicked in the door.
It was a small house lit by an oil lantern. At the kitchen table a girl sat. She stood fast and ran to Scarlet's rescue. She was Asian and about 65 years old.

"Is this all the people?" She asked Daniel.

"Well, we lost a few on the way" He replied, wiping sweat from his forehead.

"Everyone, This is Donna Chang. She's a doctor. A good friend of ours, she's been taking in survivors" Scarlet said as Donna patched up the wound.

Jake pulled me into a tight hug and took in a deep breath. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Dylan"

"Me neither" I replied. I was glad to be in his warm embrace. Even if things weren't okay, he is and that's all that matters.