London Bridge Is Falling

Hymn To England

I walk over to the room that's directly across from ours. I knock on the door and enter slowly. Ellie sits on the edge of her bed, watching the rain slide down the window. She's so calm, but deep inside, I know she's scared. I take her hand.

"How are you?" I ask.

"I'm better. Dylan...thank you...for helping me back there" She smiles. "I was just about to give up"

"You can't ever give up...you have to keep looking for something to fight for, Ellie"

I leave the room and go downstairs. Veronika is dead, I knew she wouldn't last very long. Lara, Lucy and Selena are hovering over a map that's rolled out across the table. They point at different spots and argue back and forth.

"What's this?" I ask.

"A map" Selena replies.

"Of?"

"Manchester" Lucy says quickly. "There's a lab there...We're pretty sure Ben is there too"

"But Manchester was burned to the ground" I say, confused.

"Remember" Lara says. "Labs are underground"

I roll my eyes. "Lovely"

Morning comes, it's still raining but we have to push on. We pack our stuff and head to a helicopter that Finn found overnight. We pile in and take off into the air. London looks so small, but in reality...It's not. We pass over a part of London that's been destroyed by fire bombs. I wonder how many survivors were down there, I wonder if anyone survived the bombing. It only takes and hour to get to Manchester. The city is nothing but charred buildings and lost hope. We land in a spot that has an 'H' spray painted on the ground. When we get out, a woman greets us.

"Dylan, this is Josephine. She's the leader of a Militia group here in Manchester" Finn said.

"Please, call me Jo" She smiled and extended her hand.

I couldn't keep my eyes off of her, she was beautiful. Her skin was dark and her hair was shaved on both sides of her head but she had a strip of black hair that started from the top of her head and ended halfway down her back. She was wearing a grey coat with a black undershirt and brown, worn boots.

I grabbed her hand and shook it. "Where's the rest of your team?" I asked.

"This is all" She pointed to a man beside her.

He was gorgeous as well. His dirty blonde hair was tied into a bun that set messily on top of his head and his beard was long and well maintained. He wore a long sleeve shirt that cut off at his elbows and tight blue jeans with brown boots.

"My name is Sen. It's nice to meet you guys" He smiled.

"So, you guys are after Ben too?" Lucy asked.

"Yeah" Jo replied. "Our team was wiped out on the way here...It's just me and Sen left"

"The lab is right under our feet" Sen says, pressing a button on his watch. "The lab is very unstable, so they're pulling out tonight. But this gives us an opportunity"

The helicopter pad begins to slowly sink underground. We're on a large elevator that seems to go on forever. We finally come to a jolting halt. Jo and Sen instantly pull out their weapons and aim them at a small door with a green light above it. It opens slowly and behind it is a row of dead bodies. They aren't Infected, they're bodies of charred people...Most likely people that tried to escape the fire bombings. Ellie gasps and plugs her nose. The smell is too intense. We walk over the bodies and continue down a long corridor that has no end. The hall comes to a door that slides open. There's more bodies on the other side but they're military and one sits in a chair in front of a computer screen that flickers. We slowly walk up to the body. Jo looks at me and I look at her. The person in the chair is Ben, he has a fresh bullet wound in his head.

We walk back to the helicopter. "Do you think he brought back Scarlet or Daniel and one of them could have killed him?" Jake asked.

"It's possible" I said, opening the door that leads to the helipad.

A man stands near the helicopter, his eyes turn towards me. They're black and filled with nothingness. It's Daniel. He's not being controlled by a chip. He's been injected with a new strain of the virus, it makes him strong, fast...it makes him a killer.

"Daniel, it's me!" Lara yells.

"That's not Daniel anymore, Lara" Selena says grabbing her gun.

We all fire at him. Our bullets seem to do nothing. He still stands there, looking into our souls. He speeds by Lucy and punches her in the chest. She falls to the ground, gasping for air. He grabs Jo by the neck and tosses her on the ground. She rolls out of the way just as his foot slams on the ground. Sen grabs him and runs his knife across Daniels neck. Daniel flips him over his shoulder and heads for Jake. I shoot endlessly but it still doesn't phase him. He smacks me out of the way, then goes for Jake. He picks him up and smashes him against the wall. My mind is reeling, I can't piece anything together. I just lay there, watching him destroy Jake. Ellie jumps on Daniel's back and stabs him in the head over and over. She then takes her knife and starts sawing through his neck. She pulls his hair as she cuts through the last ligament and off comes his head. She holds it in her left hand, his hair bundled in her fingers. Jake falls to the floor, he coughs and takes deep breaths.
Sen presses the button and we're suddenly going back up. I hold Jake in my arms, kissing his cheek nonstop. I feel the cool breeze run through my hair as we slowly climb to the top.

"What now? Selena asks.

"I'm not sure..." I say. "We just try survive"