London Bridge Is Falling

Bind The Undecidable

The next morning, we search for Sen and Jo. It's not long before we find Jo, she's just waking up in a bed of grass. Her forehead bleeds only a tiny bit. I help her off the ground and we continue looking for Sen. I see Ellie in the distance, she's fighting off a group of infected. She swings a piece of metal back and forth but they keep attacking her. Before we could arrive, an infected grabs her and tears it's teeth into her neck.

"No!" Selena screams, running towards her.

Gunshots come from the left and Sen is running to her rescue. But it's too late. Ellie is dead...Infected. Selena swings her machete and closes her eyes. But the rest of us watch as her head goes flying into the air. Once we're reunited, we take off down the road, leaving the field behind. I can still see the smoke rising from the treeline, it hasn't stopped burning. In the back of my mind, I know all of our journeys have been unsuccessful, but I wan't to believe they aren't. Jake stops me and sits on the ground.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Sitting"

"I can see that" I snap at him.

"What are we doing?" He asks. "What are we fighting for? Even if we do stop the military, we won't be able to kill all the infected and someone will think of a new virus in the future"

"We can try!" I yell, tears slide down me cheek. "We can fucking try!"

"That's all we've been doing!" He yells back. "Trying isn't good enough!"

"Then let's succeed...Let's save the fucking world, Jake..." The others are ahead of us, quietly talking.

"Who's gonna make it out of here, Dylan?"

"We all are" I say softly.

"We've already lost five people" He says back. "We're not all making it out of here alive"

"We can-"

He interrupts "We can what? We can try? I'm done trying"

I can't hold my anger in anymore. "Scarlet didn't risk her life in that tunnel for you to sit on your ass. Lara didn't take a shard of glass so you could wallow in self pity. Get up off the ground and stop being such a bitch!"

His eyes filled with tears but I didn't care. I slowly walked to the others and kept calm. We started moving again, Jake slowly lagging behind.

"You guys are humanities last hope" Emily says, breaking the silence. "Human existence is in your hands...You hold the key to life and death"

Like we don't know that. We have risked so much to get here, we've lost so many to survive here. I want to tell her that, but I don't want to lower the group moral. I take a sip of water and rest on the sidewalk. But that comes to an end when a group of infected come around the corner. They see us and instantly start charging at us. We run and run until our legs burn. We lost most of our weapons in the crash, so fighting would be useless. We hop over and fence and run, there's a small fire ahead of us so we keep running until it's closer. We stop at the sound of gunshots. I feel something spray across my face. I look ahead and it's Lucy. There's a large hole in her head and she slowly falls to the ground.

"Oh god...I'm sorry" The man says, lowering his weapon. A couple more people walk out of their small shacks. "I didn't mean to. Oh god. I thought you were infected"

I fall to the ground beside her and scoop her into my arms. I can't help the sobbing, it comes out so strong, I can't control it. Jake pushes to the front and takes Emily's gun and shoots the man in the neck. I can't concentrate on what he's done, I can only concentrate on Lucy and how lifeless she is. She's been here for so long, she's been a part of this journey. She's so pale. I sit there and cry over her body until I hear screams.

"What have you done, Jake?!" Selena screams.

"I had to do something!" He screams back.

"Not that!" Jill yells.

The other people watch me, they feel my loss, the mourn with me. I stand and wipe the tears from my face. Emily grabs me, I look back and the others are running away. It's time to go. I run with them. I blink away the tears and hop back over the fence. We're still running. That's all we ever do. And Jake might have a point. Who's gonna make it out alive?