London Bridge Is Falling

Awoken Hearts

2 Weeks Later...

We still walk the streets of London. There's been no sign of Ben, but he did get obliterated in the plane explosion. That could have been a clone for all we know. I point to a hotel and we make our way there. I pull out my pistol and slowly open the door. It smells musty and old, there's a red carpet that leads from the entrance to a set of brown glossy stairs, it's frayed at the edges. The windows are boarded up and the lobby is big but not too big. Behind a large desk is a stack of chips and water, it looks like someone hid here before. We lay down our bags and take a few chips, after we eat, we search the rooms. There's ten rooms in all and they're all empty. We pick a room and bunk there for the night.
I look out the curtain and watch the infected roam the streets, they're clueless, they don't know we're here.

"Clear?" Sen asks.

"No" I reply. "There's tons of them"

"That's great" Selena rolls her eyes and falls back onto the bed.

"There's nothing now" Jill says, there's a lump in her throat. "There's no leader, there's no virus makers, there's nothing. They're all hiding or dead and we're just surviving now...we're not hunting down the bad guys, there is none...they're dead"

"She's right" Jo said, sitting in the corner of the room. "There is nothing now"

"But we can't just give up" I say.

"And we wont" Sen replies.

We didn't talk for the rest of the night. We've barely talked since Jake sacrificed himself, since Lucy got shot, since Ellie was bit, since Scarlet and Daniel were murdered. We've lost contact with each other, we're broken. We've lost so much and there's nothing that will repair the emptiness in our hearts.
I fall asleep next to Selena, I see her as a motherly figure, she's helped me through everything. I awake in the cargo hold of the plane. It's dark outside and the air is cold. I see Ben on the other side of the walkway. I run at him but go right through him, like I'm a ghost. He disappears and Jake stands in his place. His eyes are filled with tears, I know it's not real, I know this is a dream but seeing his face again makes me wanna cry. I'm somewhere else now, I'm where Lucy died. I see her over and over get shot. It's like an endless hell.
I suddenly awake, Jill is pushing me.

"Let's go" She says frantically.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Infected are inside, we need to go"

"Shit" I say and wake Selena up.

We make our way down a long hall and stop. Something catches our ears and from out of nowhere, an infected falls from the ceiling and attacks Jill. They both roll on the floor together, Jill pushing it back. Then arrows fly out of the darkness and puncture it's head. More infected come and the figure in the darkness screams. It has a climbing ax in it's left hand and it repeatedly drives it down into the infected's skull.
Then the figure appears from the darkness...it's Lara. She's bloody, her hair is ratty and dirty, her leg has a white cloth tied around it and a shirt tied around where the glass was. I couldn't tell it was her at first, she's changed so much, she's new. I see her eyes fill with tears as Selena hugs her. She drops the ax and wraps her arms around Selena.

"Let's go" She says. "There's an exit behind us"

She leads us to the exit and kicks open the door, she looks around and signals us to come. The sun is just peeking over the horizon and the air sticks to my skin, it's so cold. We run down a back alley and onto the road. We continue to run until we make it to Regents Park, then stop and rest.

"How?" I asked. "I seen you die" I said, catching my breath.

"Well...I thought I was dead too" She replied. "But I jolted awake after you left. I pulled the glass out and went on my own. I see we lost a few...Jake...Did he die when that plane exploded?"

I nodded. "He saved me"

"Lucy?"

"She was shot" Selena said.

Lara began to cry. "Fuck" She said. "This all fucking sucks"

"Yeah" Jo replied. "But we still have each other"

We stopped by a small pond and washed up. We took some soap from the hotel. Lara looked beautiful as always but she was beat up and bruised. She was dressed in new clothes and her hair was back in her usual ponytail. If I were someone different, I wouldn't be able to tell that she had a shard of glass wedged into her waist. I finally felt clean, after a week of no shower, I really needed one. I pulled out my portable radio and listened for any broadcasts of survivors. There was popping and cracking until a voice faintly appeared.

"Help" It's a man's voice. "There's two of us, me and my sister. Please help, we're at Wembley Stadium in a tent"

"Should we go?" Lara asked.

"It's worth a shot" I replied.