London Bridge Is Falling

Governed By Hell and High Water

The next day, the sun was behind a set of puffy storm clouds but there was no rain. We made our way down the road, looking for food. Out of nowhere, a tornado like sound rips through the air. I look up and see a plane spiraling out of control, it's heading right at us.

"Get down!" Sen yells.

We fall to the pavement as the plane slices through the buildings. The wings fall apart and crash against the ground. The plane is split in half and one piece sits a few feet in front of us and the other part is crashed between a few buildings. I stand up and gather myself. The plane is scattered for about 200 feet and there's no sign of survivors. I help up Selena and Arizona and go investigate the crash. Smoke billows up from the tail end of the plane. There's two rows of dead bodies strapped into their seats. There's no telling who they are, their skin has burned off. All the nearby buildings have been obliterated and nothing left stands.

"Something must have brought this plane down" Sen says investigating the tail end.

Something falls out of the front part of the plane. It's the most damaged part, so there can't be anything alive. I get closer and closer. An infected leaps out and falls to the ground. It's skin sticks to the pavement. More infected follows it, they're all on fire.

"What's worse than an infected?" Selena asks.

"An infected on fire" Collin says jokingly.

I get my pistol and begin shooting at them. They're very slow and they moan as the fire burns their flesh. We walk around them and climb over the ruble. A few miles from the crash, smoke spreads through the air. We walk closer and see a group of military throwing black body bags into a pile and burning them. We hide behind a few parked cars and look through the windows.

"Think those are infected bodies?" Collin asks me, whispering.

"Maybe, can't be so sure. They've done horrible things in the past" I say back to him.

"Alright, let's wrap up here. We have more bodies in District 1" One man says. The other shakes his head and they get in their Humvee and take off.

"Let's go look" Selena says.

I unzip a body bag that's on a pile that's not been burned. The person is a male, he has dark brown hair and all the color has disappeared from his skin. He's not bit. And there's no gunshot wounds on his body.

"Arizona, think you can tell me what happened to these people?" I ask.

"Sure" She walks over to the body and examines it. "Well, there's no bites or bullet wounds. He was most likely killed by a gas cloud...a tragic and painful death" She zips up the bag.

"They said they needed to go back to District 1...where do you think that is?" Lara asks.

"I have no idea..." I replied.

We walked for hours and the sun was setting. Light suddenly appeared out of the dark. District 1 seemed to be the Isle of Dogs or near it. We made our way up a flight of stairs and onto the roof. My thought was right. District 1 is a few buildings on the Isle of Dogs. The outside is surrounded by a huge fence. It didn't look very stable but it was just enough to keep the infected out.

"Think we can get in there?" Jo asks, looking through the scope on her rifle.

"Who knows" Lara says. "I think we could get passed the fence. But what would we do once we're inside?"

"We'd find the power source, shut it down and kill the leader" I say, standing from my crouch.

"That place is crawling with mili-"

I interrupt Jo. "But, they won't be expecting us"

"How do you know?!" She snaps at me. "We can't afford to lose anymore people!"

I sigh and sit back down. "We have to do this"

"If we do this" Jo says. "We do it my way. Rebel style, not B.T.A.R way"

"Okay" I say quietly.

It takes about two hours to get close to the fence. We split up and Jo is with me. She cuts open a hole in the chain linked fence and we crawl through. This is the first time I've seen some of London lit up after the outbreak.

"See that big building?" Jo asks.

"Yeah"

"That's probably the main building. We'll go in there while the others go into the building that supplies the power"

"And this is where the leader is?" I ask.

"Maybe...if there is a leader"

We sneak around the corner and run down a road that's dimly lit. The building that stands in front of us has a sign above the backdoor. 'Governmental Building'
Jo picks the lock and we're in. The lobby is empty and spacious. The floors are marble with brown and white splashed on them. I aim my pistol around, not seeing anyone. This room is lit with only one light and it hangs in the corner of the room, only illuminating a small part of the floor.

"Over here" Jo says. She walks over to a map and trails her finger up and stops on something. "Bill Overman's office is on the top floor. He must be in charge here"

"Great. So we just ride the elevator up and shoot him in the head?"

"That's the plan" She smiles.

She presses the up button and the elevator dings, signaling us to get in. I've always hated elevators, being suspended over nothing but open space. I close my eyes and grip the railings that circle the walls. It's makes me feel safer, but not too safe. It comes to a quick stop and the light inside turns red. My stomach knots and I gulp down a lump in my throat. I aim my pistol at the doors as they slide open. But there's nothing on the other side, just a small room with cubicles cluttered inside. Jo presses the up button again and she doors close.

"Could've been a mistake" She says as the light turns back to normal.

"Weird"

The elevator stops and the lights shut off. They must have cut the power already. Jo looks up and slides a tile on the ceiling. An escape hatch. I go up first, then pull her up. She walks towards a ladder and begins climbing it. I look up and my stomach jumps around inside my body. I climb despite my fear of falling off. I don't look down or up, I just look at the wall in front of me. I have to keep my cool, I have to keep it together.