London Bridge Is Falling

After The Storm

It's been a few weeks since the Wales attack and I still haven't explored the castle completely. I've been locked in my room for the past couple days. I haven't wanted to see anyone, my mind is set on something bigger. We sit around around and enjoy being safe but we still need to figure out how to stop the infection. I walk down the hall to the bathroom and slowly push open the door. I see my reflection. My eyes are sunken into my skull and there's purple rings around them, my right cheek is bruised and there's a deep cut just above my collarbone. I look like I've been beaten to a pulp.

There's a knock at the door. "Come in" I say.

It's Sen. He looks at me closely. "You look like shit"

I smile. "Thanks"

He touches the scar on my neck. "What's this from?"

"I dunno" I say, looking towards the floor. "Sen, we've lost so much"

"I know, Dylan"

"Lucy, Jill, Ellie, Jake...My parents" I slowly fall to the floor. "How are we gonna stop this, Sen?"

"We might not be able to"

I quickly stand up and push him out of my way. I walk to the dining room. It's a huge room with a long wooden table and a light that hangs a few feet above it. I pull out a seat and sit down. I imagine a family sitting here, eating dinner and enjoying their day. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I feel like their all counting on me to make a great plan and everything be normal again, but it's not going to happen. The world isn't going to change.
I get up from the seat and walk into the kitchen. The chef named Marco is flipping hamburgers on the stove. He's preparing a feast.
I make my way through two doors and up a few flights of stairs. At the top of the stairs is another door, I put my hand on it and feel the cold. I open it and the roof appears. It's beautiful.

"I've never seen the stars so beautiful" Collin says as he looks at the sky.

"Me neither" I reply, shivering. It's so cold up here.

"Need a coat?" He takes off his sweatshirt and hands it to me.

"Thanks" I say, putting it on.

"We're in this together" He says.

"I know..."

"You don't have to make decisions alone" He smiles and pats my back.

"Okay" I walk over to the edge and sit down, looking at the ocean crash against the salt cliffs of Dover.

"This is just the beginning of something new" He says.