London Bridge Is Falling

The Tide Comes In

I awake with the moonlight peering through the curtains in my room. It's bright enough to light where the ground ends and the open air begins. I can jump off the cliff right now and end it all, but what would that accomplish?
I swing my legs over the side of the bed and touch my bare feet to the concrete floor, it's cold but I must deal with it for now. I grab the doorknob and turn it slowly, the wooden door squeaks as it opens. I walk down the hall to Sen's room and quietly push open the door. He lays in his bed, half covered. His hair isn't in the usual bun, his stringy and hanging in his face. I sneak in bed beside him, his face towards mine.

"Hey" He says, his voice hoarse.

"I couldn't sleep" I reply

He tosses the covers over me. "Me neither" He pulls me close. "The world might not be okay...but we are and that's all that matters, Dylan"

I kiss him quickly and stare at him, taking in the awkward moment. He rolls over and sighs. I swallow the lump in my throat and leave the room. I hear footsteps behind me, I turn around quickly and see Sen slowly making his way towards me. He grabs my cheek and pulls me close, his lips touching mine.

"Sorry I was so rude. I just didn't know what to do"

"It's okay, Sen..." I say softy.

We're interrupted by a loud bang and men with guns charging by us. One yells "Infected!" another yells "By the gate!"
Sen grabs my hand and we take off down the long hall. We twist and turn until we're stopped by a large wooden door. Sen pushes it open and the group is sitting there. Lara, Selena, Collin, and Arizona. They're talking about something but hush when they see me walk in.

"Dylan" Selena says. "It's nice to see you"

"Look...I know I've been out for awhile, taking in things"

"You don't have to explain yourself" Collin says, smiling.

"There's Infected at the gate" Sen points behind him.

There's loud screams and someone says. "They've breached. Evacuate!"

"Shit, they're inside!" Lara yells, frantically.

"Here" A girl says. She's beautiful with long curly brown hair, and she wears a black sweatshirt, blue jeans and black boots that fold over just above her calves. She opens up the window and points outside. "It's not a far drop" She gives a reassuring smile.

Everything is happening so fast, my head is spinning. I've got to keep myself sane, for the sake of the group, for the sake of me. Hands bang against the wooden door, we risk the window and make a jump for it. I'm the last to jump. I feel the wind guide me towards earth and then it hits me, the ground. My knee smashes against the grass and momentarily ceases my walking. But the girl that led us out comes back for me while everyone else runs. She picks me up off the ground and puts her arm around me, helping me walk.
As we round the corner, two infected jump out, attacking Collin and Arizona, ripping out their throats. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. Lara shoots the infected then comes towards me, covering me.

The infected keep coming, there's a swarm of them and they don't seem to let up. Finally I'm walking normal again and we're running. Me, the girl and Lara finally meet up with the rest of the group. They're stopped at a gas station, sitting at the curb.

"I'm Emily" She wipes the hair out of her face. "Sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier"

"It's okay" I say. "Thanks for the help"

"No problem" She smiles, breathing heavily.

The castle is lit up like a big sign, basically telling the infected that there's people there. Once again, we're on the run and we're broken, two of our friends brutally torn apart by the infected...