London Bridge Is Falling

Night Vision

We're jumping from building to building, ledge to ledge. Lara is leading the way, she hops over a roof and falls to the ground.

"Climb back up!" I yell as the infected screech in the distance.

"No" She says. "I'll find another way"

"Okay, be careful!"

It's been almost two hours and no sign of Lara. We pace back and forth on top of a small doughnut shop. The wind picks up slowly then begins to get faster. The clouds come together forming a horrific storm. The rain patters against the roof, we can't leave, we'll be attacked. We're soaked from head to toe now and there's nothing up here to keep us dry. 20 minutes of rain and we finally decide to leap from the roof and take our chances on the ground. We all stay in a small cluster as we slowly make our way down the street. And then the worst happens. A large infected jumps from the roof of one of the shops and slams against the asphalt. It's face was mangled and mushrooms covered it's arms and legs. It roared so loud, the earth shook.

"What the fuck is that thing?" Jo asked, aiming her pistol at it.

"That's what happens when you've been infected for a long period of time...they're turning into more powerful infected. They call these ones Stalkers" Emily says, letting the rain pour on her skin.

Sen starts unloading his magazine, not caring if he runs out of ammo. The rain bounces off of the infected and glistens it's skin. It doesn't seem to die until an arrow enters it's head and explodes. It's Lara. She stands on a roof, loading another arrow into her bow. More fungal infected start to gather behind us.

"Runners!" Emily yells. "These infected are relentless, cunning and fast"

Lara jumps down from the roof and waves at us. We follow close behind until we're out of sight. She pushes us into a small store and pulls down the metal shutters. The store is fully stocked with food and drinks. It looked like it was once an outpost for the people staying at the castle.
Shadows pass by and we all hush our breathing, it must be the Runners.

"So the initial outbreak was fungal?" I ask.

"I guess so..." Selena says, breathing heavily now.

"I just thought it was a standard virus. Fungal is hard to destroy"

"If it was a standard virus" Emily says. "Then the infected wouldn't be changing"

"Back in Atlanta, we found out that the infected evolved over night and turned back into a normal one by morning. It must've been the fungus" I say, thinking.

"They go through phases. Infected, Stalkers, Runners and Shrinkers...Shrinkers are the ones you encountered in Atlanta" I'm not sure how Emily knows all of this, but she does.

"We're screwed" I say.

"Relax, Dylan" Jo says, fumbling her fingers.

"There's a military extraction team close by" Emily says. "We were supposed to leave in a few days but I guess it has to be now"

"And where will we go?" Selena asks.

"There's a secluded place in New York, they call it the Division"

"We've heard about secluded areas before" I say, rolling my eyes.

"Listen. I could have left you all to die in that castle. But I saved you. And we need to get to New York...There's a chan-"

"There's a chance that everyone is dead or they'll murder us when we walk in" I say. "We've been through this before...way to many times"

She starts crying. "We just need to try...We need to have hope"

"In this world" Jo says. "There's no fucking hope. We'll go to New York. But if there's nothing there...We're leaving"

I fall asleep a few hours later. When I awoke, Emily was still up, looking out of the small cracks between the shutters. She's so calm, not like the others. They're all scared, I'm scared. We haven't been safe sense the beginning of this. She slowly lays back on the floor and shuts her eyes, falling asleep quickly.