London Bridge Is Falling

Breaking Character

Winter.

I awake to a jolt. My head flies forward and my eyes shoot open. It's 3:00A.M. and we're driving across a bridge in New York. It's been about two months since we left England and we've been all across New York, looking for the Division or City 17. Selena, Jo and Emily are in the back of the RV, Sen and Lara sit upfront, laughing about something, but I can't tell what's going on. I must have dozed off and rolled off of the seat. I'm able to gather myself after a few seconds and look outside the window. The snow slowly blankets the road as we weave passed abandoned cars. And then something rattles the RV. It's the bridge and it's crumbling. The rest of the group comes up with me and we prepare for the worst. The road falls to pieces behind us, we try to speed up but it's too late. All I can feel is weightlessness, we're falling and then an impact. It feels like we've crashed into a slab of concrete. Water seeps in from every crack. It's cold, colder than the winter air. I take a deep breath and unbuckle my seat belt. It's too late, I can't breathe and everything goes fuzzy.

Then I'm awake, spitting out mouthfuls of water. The snow covers the sand. Everyone is here, they're shivering but safe. We're almost into the city, just a climb over a hill and we'll be there. We'll be in the most populated city in the world...populated with infected and looters. We all stick together, trying to stay warm. The roads are filled with uninhabited cars and signs that say 'Help us' and 'We're not sick'
We enter a small clothing store and find some winter clothes. Luckily, no one needs clothes now since almost everyone is infected. I feel warm now, cozy with a warm jacket around my body. I take a deep breath and push myself against the wall. I'm lucky to be alive, we're lucky to be alive. It's crazy how many close calls we've had since day one. I can't help the memories that flow back into my head. Jake, Lucy, James, Ellie, Scarlet, Daniel. Their close calls led to their death. I have no tears to cry, I'm extremely dehydrated and I'm sure everyone else is too.

"We need to find food and water" I say. "Emily and I will scout the other stores across the street, you guys find some stuff around here"

Emily smiles and walks out the doors with me. The snow is getting deeper with every flake that touches the ground. Emily busts through the door and looks around, making sure the coast is clear. She pulls out her knife at the sound of glass crunching.

"It's just me" I say, smiling slightly.

"Sorry...Can't be too sure in these times"

I walked around a desk and looked at a body, a dead body. It was decayed and it's teeth were falling out.

"So" Emily said.

"Yeah?"

"How'd you get here?" She asked.

"I was in London when the outbreak happened"

"With...Jake? Selena told me a bit about him. You really cared for him"

"Yeah" I said. "Well...We met a few members of the military, they helped us and we helped them. Jake died and It was just me. I was evacuated to Paris and then the virus spread there. I met a guy named Luke and a bunch of other survivors. We went back to London and found Selena. Long story short, everyone you see with me have died except Jo and Sen"

"What? Died?" She sounded confused.

"A guy brought them back from the dead using cryostasis"

A bottle hit the floor in front of us then exploded and sent us flying back against the wall. My vision was blurred and I started crawling to cover but a boot met my stomach and I fell to the ground, moaning in pain. On his arm was a badge that said 'The Division' but they're supposed to be good, they're supposed to be saving us...