London Bridge Is Falling

Abandoned Help

I pull him into a nearby house and search for anything useful. There's a couple of blankets lying around and canned food in the cabinets, I guess I've hit a small jackpot. I take Dylan's coat off and pull up his shirt. The wound is very fresh and it's gushing blood. The meat around it is cold, almost frozen. I take a needle and string from my backpack and dump some alcohol on them. Dylan is out cold, but I know he'll feel it when he wakes up. I poke the needle through his skin and pull, it bleeds more as the wound starts to close. I sigh, my breath exposed. My hands tremble as I pull it through one last time then cut the string. I sit back and stair at my hands, they're soaked in blood. If it wasn't for Arizona, I probably wouldn't have been able to do that.
I pull his shirt back down and put multiple covers on him. As night comes, I sit against the wall, watching Dylan taking breaths, hoping he'll be okay and then I hear the faint screeches of something outside. I easily crawl over to the window and peek out.

"Shit. Shrinkers" I say to myself. The mutated monsters from Atlanta spread to New York.

There's a pack of them, sniffing the blood trail from Dylan's body. How stupid of me. I slide out of sight and take a large breath. I pull Dylan's body into a storage closet and make sure he's warm. If I don't do something about the Shrinkers outside, they'll get in here and tear us apart. I have to make sure I'm prepared for the battle, they aren't normal infected, but I'm not a normal girl. I slip out the back door and pull out my pick. The blistering cold touches my skin, it's almost too cold to function. I peer around the corner of the house and there they are, licking up the blood soaked snow. I press my back up against the house and grasp my weapon tight. This fight will either save us, or kill us. I wad up some snow and toss it at one. It looks my way and shows it's teeth, screaming at me. It's arms outstretch and it exposes it's claws. The other three are still distracted by the blood. It starts charging at me, it's face full of hate, it has one purpose and that's to kill me.

I swing hard, digging the pick into it's side. The monster falls to the ground, screaming. I pull it out and finish it off with another swing to the head. Now the others are alerted, all of them and I'm screwed. They come at me from all sides, growling and moaning. I can't think, my mind is locked, it's stuck in one place and I can't get out of this trance. I know I have to kill to survive, but part of my brain tells me to just die, it'd be better if I would just die. I swing around the pick, missing every time. Then one pins me to the ground and chomps it's jaws at me. It's teeth are only a few inches from my neck and then something happens. A bright UV light shines in the infected's face, sending it flying back on the ground, moaning in pain. It's a man in a long black coat, I can't see his face.

"Go" He says.

"Who are you?" I ask, but he disappears into the night.

The infected are gone, the UV light burned the skin off of them. They must be sensitive to light. I limp back to the house and check on Dylan. He's okay...for now. I lay on the floor outside of the closet and close my eyes. I've stopped dreaming, and if I did, my dreams would be nightmares. I wake up the next morning, my head burning from my skull hitting against the ground last night. I walk over to the window and look out, the snow is deep but it finally stopped coming down. I need to take advantage of the light and go look for food. I grab my gear and head out the front door, looking back at the house once I step foot in the snow. I trek through the snow, the houses are perfectly aligned like a small suburban area. At the end of the houses is a small gas station. There's cars at all the pumps but they're abandoned. I walk through the front door that's completely shattered. There's no food here, just empty shelves. I sigh and walk back out. It seems like there's nothing nowadays. I make my way through the other houses and to no surprise, there isn't anything. I enter a house just beside the one Dylan's at.

When I walk through the doorway, the floors squeak. They're rotting from the water seeping through the wood. I take a few steps in and fall through. I hit the concrete directly below me. There's bodies down here, dead bodies, infected bodies. I instantly jump to my feet and head back upstairs and something greets me in the living room. An infected, one of the yeti infected. It's on the other side of the room, where I fell. It leaps onto my side and I retaliate, kicking it into the hole. I make a decision and decide to jump to the other side. My body hits the platform and my legs dangle just above the infected's head. It reaches for me but I manage to pull myself up. I take a deep breath and wipe the sweat from my forehead and then I hear screams coming from the house next to me...It's the screams of a man...Dylan.