London Bridge Is Falling

Everything Done Is Undone

Spring.

Horse hooves clank against the asphalt just as we pass underneath a sign that reads "Welcome to Virginia"
After long months of starving and fighting for my life, I've finally made it. Cars are aligned in perfect rows on the highway, they've all once belonged to someone, a Doctor, a Lawyer or just an everyday person, but now they belong to earth. The vines sway and intertwine between the dashboards and the steering wheels. I'm warm now, I'm glad the snow has all melted away. I feel the fresh breeze touch my cheeks and it excites me, the warmth never felt so good. I remove my light jacket and put it in the bag attached to the side of the horse. It's perfect weather for my tank-top. The crisp air glides across my exposed shoulders and once again, I feel alive. I hit by boots against the saddle and we start to move faster. My hand clinches the harness and the air flows through my hair. I laugh to myself, I haven't felt like this in years.

The horse comes to a halt and my giggling stops abruptly. We're stopped just outside of a tunnel. My ears catch the screams of infected, it sounds like they're in pain. One crawls out on it's hands and knees, reaching it's broken fingers towards me. Then a group of screams gather together, like a small melody. I hit the saddle with my boots hard and turn the horse around. The fear in the horse is apparent. He jumps over cars, making his way to safety. I look behind me and see the infected closing in. They aren't Virals, Runners, Shrinkers or any of the common type of infected. They're skin is a light grey and their teeth are razor sharp. It's like they're acrobats, swinging on poles, jumping over the abandoned cars.

"Alright, Sparkie. Keep on running" I pat the side of his head and turn around. I'm facing the infected and they're out for blood. I reach into the bag and pull out a bow and some arrows, I know it's not an ideal weapon, but I can't run out of bullets.

I load an arrow, pull back the string and aim. It's hard to aim a bow on a moving horse but I do it. The arrow rips through air and slices into one of the infected's head. But I don't have enough arrows to kill them all. On the other side of the horse is a gas can with a hose attached to it and a torch on the end. I click the button on the tank, letting some of the gas leak out. I press the trigger on the torch and watch the flames dance around on the ground. A wall of fire now protects us from the infected. They stop charging just as they reach the fire. I turn around and breath heavily. We're still going, I can't stop now. We make our way around the tunnel and end up at some sort of mall. We enter a small shop and I close the shutters behind me.

"What kind of infected were those, Sparkie?" I know he won't reply, but it's nice to just talk to someone. I pat his head and reach into the bag, pulling out an apple. I feed him then indulge in some chocolate I found.