London Bridge Is Falling

The End Is Not Nigh

Maybe we shouldn't have left at night, but it's better than having groups of Virals or Runners coming after us. At night, we have a better chance of avoiding them but also a greater chance to be eaten alive by Shrinkers. UV lights hold them back, but don't keep them away forever. We're almost to the building where we'll meet the B.T.A.R. evacuation. I don't hold my faith in them, but I know Dylan would, so I must think positive. B.T.A.R. hasn't always been there for us, but this time, it better be. We hop over a fence and head up the stairs that lead to the top of the building.

"When the outbreak happened, it was up to us to contain it" Marina said as we took our time up the stairs.

"Up to civilians?" Sen asked.

"No. I work with the CDC. Or, what's left of it. When the B.T.A.R came, it was like hope was brought back to the CDC. They worked together to contain the virus and then another outbreak happened and the two groups went extinct"

"I know that feeling" I say. "The B.T.A.R was a thriving group at first but the more missions we went on, the more people we lost"

"Quiet. Infected" Selena said, raising her machete.

We started to hear more infected gather at the bottom of the staircase, we took off running. My lungs burned and my legs started to feel like noodles, I guess I'm out of shape. Sen is the first to the top. He busts open the door and hurries us along. Once we're all through, he closes the door and stacks stuff in front of it. There's not a helicopter in sight and the infected have started to bust through the door. We all push ourselves against the door, making sure they don't get on the roof. And then it comes, our savior. The helicopter hovers just about the building, he can't land, he needs a quick escape.

"Sen, let's go!" I yell.

"No. Someone needs to hold the door"

"We can make a run for it!"

"No!" He yells, pushing me away. "Go!"

Marina grabs my hand and drags me along. I'm tossed into the helicopter and strapped in. I'm screaming to go back for Sen, but no one listens to me. The infected bust through the door and rip him apart. I can't watch but I do. Another friend dead.

"So now we're leaving people behind, Selena?!" I'm so frustrated, I can barely see straight.

"We do what we have to do, Lara. That's how things work now"

"Dylan would have never left Sen behind. He wouldn't leave you behind!" And then the tears start coming, I can't keep them in.

"I'm not Dylan" She says sternly.

"No...no you're not"