London Bridge Is Falling

Destiny

The smell of pine reminds me of home. I'm outside of the lodge, looking through the thick forest, wondering if the other half of Ghost made it to their destination.

"Hey" Lara says as she walks up behind me.

"That attack was scary"

"Lost a few people" She sits down beside me.

"What's gonna happen to us?" I ask. I just want reassured, I want to know everything is going to be fine.

"I don't know. But, I know we're not all going to make it out of this"

"I know" I say, looking towards the ground.

"Hey!" Dylan says, running up behind me. "There's an emergency, hurry!"

I quickly jump up and run as fast as I can. I bust through the doors, I'm instantly stopped by a crowd of people.

"Surprise" They all say at once. At first I'm confused, but then I realize...today is my birthday.

"Gotcha" Dylan says, putting a party hat on my ratty hair.

"There's a special gift in the dinning hall. Go check it out" Anna says, smiling.

I walk towards the double doors, everyone fallows close. I push my way through the doors and gulp. On the table directly in front of me is a cake. I take in a deep breath and turn around, opening my arms to Anna.

"Thank you" I say. "This means a lot"

"Dig in" She smiles.

We all sit around the table, stuffing ourselves with bread, roast, cake and ice cream. I miss the taste of good food. The bread is moist in my mouth, it's like heaven. Hours go by and I'm the only one left sitting at the table. The rest of them are outside, sitting by a fire, probably exchanging stories. I scoot out the seat and walk outside.

"Hey, Emily" Cosima says, patting the seat beside her. "Come sit"

I see Anna and Charlie holding hands, it seems like they're happy to be back together.

"So Emily" Charlie says. "What got you here?"

"Oh" I say nervously. "I was in London, escaped with my family. Made it to Dover, just me. Found Dylan and his group in Dover. We came to New York and well....I'm here now" It's painful to talk about my parents and my sister. I watched them die while I hid from the infected.

"Glad you're still here" Jill says, patting my knee.

I watch the fire dance in the wind, it's beautiful. I can see the city from where I'm sitting, since we're up on a hill. It's so dark down there, mysterious and filled with horror. I can't imagine what other survivors are going through. After the fire goes out, I retreat back inside and get in the shower. For the first time in months, I feel the warmth of the water run through my hair and down my body. I stand there for awhile and embrace what I have and I'm thankful for it. I put on some nightclothes and head down the hall to the sleeping area. I hear voices, Dylan and Jason, they're out on the screened in porch. I sneak over to the door and listen to their conversation.

"This is nice" Dylan says. "To have running water and food"

"Yeah" Jason replies.

There's a moment of silence.

"Jason" Dylan says. "I don't know what I'm gonna do. About this mess, about the world"

"You don't have to do anything"

"I feel like everyone is expecting me to become the cure and save mankind"

I walk away. I now know what's been on his mind and honestly, that's what I was expecting. Him and Cosima partnering up and saving the world from total destruction. But I know they can't, they aren't capable of such lengths, they're normal and no normal person is just going to stand up and save the world on their own. They need a team, a supportive team.
I make my way to my sleeping bag and slide into it. I need to figure out what we're going to do, Dylan can't do this on his own.

The next morning comes fast. The sun peers in through the large windows in the sleeping room. It's a warm morning, hot to be exact. I walk outside and let the sun touch my skin. It's too hot, but this is California after all.

"Dylan" I say, catching him in mid sprint. He's been running around the cabin every morning since we got here, keeping up is stamina.

"What's up?"

"I overheard you last night with Jason. I just want you to know that we're all here to help. None of us expect you to save the world. We're a team and we're going to do that together" I pull him into a hug.

"Thanks" He says.

"You're all sweaty" I laugh. "Continue on"

I bump into Anna while walking back into the lodge.

"Hey" I say. "Just want to say thanks for the party last night. I needed that"

"You're welcome. If you ever need anything, don't bother to ask" She smiles at me and walks down the steps.

Everyone here is nice and inviting, I'm not used to that in today's world. I tie my hair up in a ponytail, for the first time in a few years and head outside. I catch up with Dylan and run with him. I need to keep my stamina up too if we're going to be heading into battle soon.