London Bridge Is Falling

Decisions

It's not a dream. I'm really falling through the floor of the lodge. I look up as the sanctuary falls to pieces. Chunks of wood and bodies fly by my face. The place we once knew as a temporary home is on fire, burning down. I hit the first floor, landing on my back. I lay there and watch the logs fall. They land beside me, breaking through the wooden floors. It all happened so fast. The army coming in, shooting people, they even let off a bomb that sent me falling through the second floor. We will never be safe, ever. I lay there until a hand grabs me and pulls me to my feet, it's Cosima. Nothing seems right in my head, It's like I don't know what's going on around me.

"C'mon, into the woods!" A man yells.

But before I make it to the edge of the woods, I see a girl lying in a pool of blood, multiple bullet wounds. I kneel down and take her hand, not caring what's happening around me.

"Rachel" I say softly, letting my emotions pour out.

"G-go" She can barely get the words out. "Finish...this"

I squeeze her hand and trace my fingers over her eyelids as she takes her final breath. "I will"
I sit there for a few more seconds, not wanting to let go, I can't let go. Jill grabs me and drags me along, my legs move but I continue to look back at Lara, watching her lifeless body, watching the blood soak into the grass.

The lodge is gone before we get a few feet into the forest. I see Emily, Cosima, Lara, Charlie, Jason, Anna and a few of the Ghost members. The something plows through the trees behind us, it's the military and they're coming with a truck. We take off running, hoping that they don't catch up. Bullets fly through the air, slicing at trees, hitting the ground, hitting anything in their way. A member from Ghost goes down, another and another. We're running for our lives now, nothing else matters. I jump over twigs and fallen logs. My lungs burn, my legs strained, but I have to keep going. I look beside me, Emily runs fast, but everything seems to be in slow motion. She looks over at me, her face filled with fear. I can see an opening at the end of the woods. I run, almost there and then...jump.
The opening was a cliff. I plummet towards earth, towards water. I feel cold surround me and water enters my lungs. Waves toss me around in the water, I'm gasping but instead air, it's water. I feel nothing, numbness takes over my body and I slowly close my eyes.

Jake greets me, along with Rachel. They take both of my hands and walk me towards a large white door that starts opening as I get closer. I look at Jake, he stands with a glow behind him. But I can't go, not yet. The ground begins to shatter and they slowly start to fade away, like dust blowing in the wind. I fall through darkness and awake with pounding on my chest. I see Emily above me, soaked.

"Get up" She says. "We have to go!"

I get up and wobble for a few seconds, but I regain my balance shortly. I can't wrap my mind around what just happened. I look over our group again. Emily, Cosima, Jill, Charlie, Rachel, Anna, Jason. Everyone is here except for Lara. Then it finally hits me hard, harder than anything. Lara must have not made it to the cliff. A pain shoots through my chest and I fall to my knees, sobbing.

"Dylan" Jason says. "It's okay. I promise it is. We have to get going, they're gonna find us"

A day passes, no sign of the military. We're walking through the streets of California. We pass by the place we were attacked, the bodies are still here. We walk for miles and miles, getting as far away as possible.

"Where are we going?" Cosima asks.

"There's an old bunker nearby. That's where the rest of Ghost was supposed to go" Charlie says.

We walk down an old road, cracked asphalt, looks like it hasn't been taken care of, even before the outbreak. There's a bus just outside of a large cement building. Charlie walks towards the door and pounds his fist on it, there's no reply. He opens the door, surprised it's not locked. Inside, a light hangs from the ceiling, it flickers, exposing a bloody hand print that extends from the opening, down to the end of the steps. There lies a body, mutilated. I look at Jason and he looks back at me, we both know what this means. We continue down into the bunker. There's bodies stacked on top of each other and blood everywhere. The remaining Ghost members...dead. Charlie falls to the floor, letting all his emotions go.

"I failed everyone...I failed you guys" He says, sobbing.

"No. You saved us" Anna squeezes his shoulder. "Let's get out of here"

We pile into the bus out front and take off. There's nowhere to go, but we have to find somewhere. I sit in the seat with Jason. He grabs my hand and looks at me.

"What's gonna happen?" He asks.

"We survive. That's all we can do. We have to go back to Ghost headquarters and get stop the B.T.A.R. members before they all get there. We need all the help we can get. We leave for battle tomorrow" I say. If I'm going to be a leader, I need to lead.