London Bridge Is Falling

Part 3

WINTER.

Three months have passed since the Government attack. We've been on the road ever since. The war still rages on though. Rogue B.T.A.R. members have been following us. Dylan survived the explosion. I put a small mobile shield in his belt that goes off during any impact. We've lost so many people since I joined the group. Emily, Lara, Paul, all good people that didn't deserve this.

The cold air tingles against my skin, we've just entered Indiana and so far, it's completely empty. There's no infected, no people, nothing. I look back at Dylan, he's snuggled into Jason's arms. The heat in the truck doesn't work sadly. Charlie is so focused on the road, nothing could break his concentration. Anna sits in the third row seats with Jill, they're playing cards. I look out the window, watching the snow gather on top of the ground. Without plows, the roads are dangerous.

"Ya know" I say, breaking the silence. "If I could get a sample of the virus, I might be able to reverse it into a vaccine, maybe even a cure"

"My friend Lucy developed a vaccine but the military destroyed it" Dylan shifts in his seat uncomfortably, probably from the memory.

I toss my head back against the headrest. I'm so worn out, we've been on the road for a week straight, no stopping and resting at any motels. I close my eyes and let my dreams take me. I dream about the complexity of the virus, how it mutates, how it destroys living cells. Then I jolt awake. We've entered the city. The buildings tower over us, without maintenance, nature has taken it back. It's been four years since the outbreak, four years for nature to entangle itself back into the way it used to be. We stop just outside a small motel. I smile and smack Charlie on the shoulder.

"How'd you know I was craving this?" I asked

He laughs. "Maybe I was reading your mind" He puts the truck in park and shuts it off. "Let's make a sweep before we set anything up"

We enter through the front door. Glass covers the floor on the inside. Jason dings the bell at the front desk and laughs a bit. Dylan and I stack stuff against the front door and windows. We choose a room that's right beside the lobby. It's a comfortable temperature in the room. I go to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror. I don't look terrible, I've been good on my upkeep. Dylan enters the room with Charlie. They went to other rooms and gathered blankets and pillows, they even have a few mattresses. We set everything up and get ready for bed.

"Hey" I say, smiling. "You'll never believe what I have" I pull out a bag of marshmallows and everyone goes crazy.

"Cheeky" Anna says. "You had those all this time?"

"I was waiting for the right time to share" I pull out three more bags. "They were on sale" I laugh.

We dine on marshmallows and eventually fall asleep with a full stomach. I awake during the night and see Dylan sitting up on the edge of his bed.

"Something on your mind?" I ask.

"I'm just thinking. If you wouldn't have given me that belt, I would be dead right now" He says, looking at me.

"I'm just glad you're here, Dylan"

"Yeah me too" He smiles and lays back down, grabbing Jason's hand.

I take in a deep breath and position myself until I'm comfortable. I close my eyes and hum a song until I'm finally asleep. The morning sun peers through the small hole in the boards against the window. I sit up, stretch and yawn. I haven't had a sleep like that for a long time. We pack our bags and hit the road again. We're headed to a place in Pennsylvania, we heard the broadcast last month. We've been communicating with them. They have a small community, it sounds very promising.

"You know what's weird?" Charlie asks.

"What?" I reply.

"We haven't seen infected for a month. Think they've died off?"

"Well. Dylan destroyed their cloning machines. Maybe they've started dying off"

"I doubt that" Dylan says. "They're just hiding, it's winter. I'm just surprised that we haven't seen any of the snow infected, the Yeti"

"People really call them that?" I ask, laughing.

He chuckles a bit. "Yeah, that's the only thing we could think of"

We're finally out of the city and on the highway. We pass through fields covered with snow, it's beautiful. It's just too bad that the crops will never grow again. I'm hoping this community has some chocolate, I've been craving it for the passed few months.

"Think this place will be goo for us?" Anna asks.

"I'm hoping so" Charlie says.

The highways are clearer than the ones leading into Indiana. The snow hasn't covered much here. I've always liked the snow, but recently, it's been a bit annoying. At least it's better than the hot summer air. I lay my head against the window, I admire how concentrated Charlie is with the road, like he's afraid of wrecking.

"I hope this place has a nice roast" Jill says. "I can taste it now"

"Making me hungry" Jason says, laughing. "Hey, Cos. You got anymore marshmallows?"

"Yeah. I stocked up" I pull out a bag and hand them to him. "Enjoy"