London Bridge Is Falling

A Nation Funded By Death

When the outbreak happened, I was the only one in my family to know what was actually happening. I knew something was wrong, what kind of virus turns people into monsters? The kind of virus developed in a government lab.
I see Dylan on the floor with multiple gunshot wounds. My brain can't think, my wires are coming undone and I don't know what to do.

"Cosima, please help" Marlene says, blinking away tears.

"I can try" I feel the building shake and a large puff of smoke comes in through the window. "Keep me covered!" I yell.

Marlene and I pick Dylan up and drag him to the elevator. I know it's not safe to take, but we need to get there quick. The doors slide shut and open once we reach the floor that has my lab on it. Elisa quickly runs out and grabs Dylan from me.

"Don't let him die" I choke back tears.

"Luke?"

I shake my head. "He's gone"

She drags him into the lab and Marlene follows. The rest of us head down to the main lobby, where all the action is taking place. Once we get there, we see Marelene's group fighting the Neo-evolutionists which have a blue stripe painted on their sleeves. I grab my pistol and get to cover. Lara crouches next to me then nods her head and we both quickly stand up and fire round after round. There's nothing but adrenaline pumping through my veins and I tosses me over the concrete slab and behind a pillar. I take in a few deep breaths and then leap out into gunfire, I feel a bullet hit my leg but I must continue. I don't even aim, I just shoot and hope they go down.

When did I become brave, when did I decide that my life is no more important. Something lands a few feet away from me and I instantly know what it is. I manage to get a little farther from it and then It explodes, sending me flying through the air and smashing against the wall. There's a huge hole in the ceiling and one of the pillars has been reduced to ash. My head pounds and my vision is blurred for no more than a few seconds. I bring myself to my feet and look around. The Neo-evolutionists bomb backfired and killed most of them. Lara, Jason and Charlie took cover, saving their lives. I run out the front doors and see that the dome is gone, there's nothing shielding us and the snow pours in. Rubble covers the streets from a previous war. I climb what used to be a small tool shop and see the carnage. The Neo-eo group are retreating but arm something before they leave.

"Bomb!" I scream. "Go, run!"

I don't know how long we have, but it's probably seconds. I hear a whistle then a flash of bright light follows it. I'm thrown into the air and I can hear glass shattering from all nearby buildings. I hit the ground and fell the shards of glass fall against my face. There's a moment where I don't even breathe, I look back on life. My beautiful mother, My handsome father and my two sisters, I miss them. I close my eyes because I know this is my fate, this is my end. I feel something cover me, it's something heavy. I know that bomb is over because I don't hear anymore cracking and popping of the buildings. I open my eyes but I can't see, I'm underneath a pile of ash, rocks, building and whatever else. I punch my hand through the top and start moving rubble out of my way.

The light hits my eyes like a bus. I stand on wobbly legs and look around. The paint has been stripped from the towering buildings, pieces of them are littered along the roadways and no windows survived the blast. I slowly walk towards Marlene's building and enter the front doors that have been blown off. Pipes and wires hung from the ceiling and the elevator doors opened and closed continuously. I push open the doors that lead to the stairs and walk up till I get to the lab. I have to pry open the door to the lab since the power was cut off on this floor. Once I get inside, I see Elisa on one side of the room and Dylan on the other.

"Cosima, is that you?" She asks.

I run up to her and press her lips against mine. "Yes, are you hurt?"

"I'm okay" She smiles and stands.

"Help me get Dylan" I say.

We pick Dylan up and head up to Marlene's office. She gathers up a group of survivors and directs us downstairs where Lara, Jason and Charlie meet up with us.

"There's a few trucks in the basement. We'll get them and take the tunnel leads out of here" She says.

We take the stairs to the basement and load up one truck. Elisa and I put Dylan in the backseat and get with him. He's so fragile and I'm so scared, I'm afraid he wont make it. Charlie, Jason and Lara are in the front. The truck turns on and takes off into a tunnel that has no lights. We're following Marlene, I hope she know's another place to take shelter. We drive for a few minutes and eventually come up outside of the city. I look back and watch the smoke tower from the buildings. This means war.