London Bridge Is Falling

The Issues With Destiny

ONE YEAR LATER-

A fire pops and crackles in the cold midnight air. I hover my hands above the flames to keep them warm, but pull away once they start getting too toasty. It’s been a year since we left Marlene’s compound. I’m not sure what happened to the rest of the group; all I know is that a Neo-Eo group attacked us. Sometimes I sit here, repeating my name over and over just to keep myself sane. When I close my eyes at night, I see Jake, I see what we used to be before all this madness and I miss it. If I just end my life, maybe I’ll be with all the people that died, all those that were close to me. The sound of twigs breaking in the distance brings me back to reality. I reach into my bag and grab the UV light. I haven’t seen any Shrinkers for months now, but I don’t want to risk it.

“Relax.” A voice calls out. “It’s me.”

“Alicia. You scared me.” I say as she enters the small sanctuary.

“Sorry.” She pulls off her puffy grey jacket and drops down near the fire. She tosses her long brown hair that’s loosely tied up over her shoulder and plays with the ends of it. “What’s on your mind?” She asks.

I stare into the fire. “Nothing really. Just wondering where they are in the world.”

“Cosima and the others?”

“Yeah. I hope they’re okay.”

“Don’t give up hope.” She smiles. “We’ll find them.”

A few hours pass and we retreat back to a house we’ve taken refuge in for a few weeks now. It’s not the best and the roof leaks, but it keeps us out of the cold and puts a wall between the infected and us. I don’t think Alicia would have any trouble surviving on her own, I found her when she was surrounded by a group of Virals, and she killed them all without one scratch on her.

“We have to leave soon.” Alicia says, breaking the silence.

“I know. The infected will eventually find us here.”

“We should head out in the morning. We can’t wait any longer, Dylan.” She starts packing up her things. “We should get prepared tonight. Just in case something happens.”

I’m shaken violently out of my slumber. It’s Alicia; she crawls over to the window and points outside. I come up beside her and peek out. A group of people dressed in black and carrying guns walk slowly down the road, pointing their flashlights at the houses they pass. I recognize a girl that’s with them. She looks very badass and ready to kill. A long braid trails down her back; a gun rests tightly in her hand. Her light shines in my direction and I retreat to the floor, taking in deep breaths. I peek back out and she’s pointing at the house we’re in. I’m almost certain it’s Lara, but I can’t be too sure. It only takes a few seconds before the team kicks open the door, pointing their guns at us.

“Dylan.” A woman says as our eyes meet.

“Lara.” I gulp hard. She looks so different. A scar starts at the top of her eyebrow and ends at the tip of her chin; she’s been through hell.

She pulls me off the floor and hugs me tight, tears soak through my shirt. “I’ve been searching everywhere for you.”

“Me too, Lara.” I can feel myself start to cry. “I thought you were dead.”

“The others didn’t make it...I’m the only one left.” I figured no one survived, but now that it’s coming from someone that made it out alive, it’s more real to me.

“Jason?”

“I’m sorry.”

“What’s with the outfits?” I ask.

“New B.T.A.R. uniforms.” She does a 360, showing me everything. It looks like a SWAT outfit but much cooler.

“I figured the B.T.A.R. was completely wiped off the map after the Neo-Eo attack.”

“They almost did destroy us, but we gained more and more troops. We’re back and stronger than ever.” She reaches out her hand. “Will you join us?”

I gulp hard. “Yes, I will. I’ll come back.”

“Where do I sign up?” Alicia asks, shaking Lara’s hand as well.

“Let’s get you two back to base. You guys look awful, no offence.” She laughs.