Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 1 - Numb

I'm sitting in this god forsaken bus stop, trying to wait off the weather. The wind is spitting needles of rain and I am so cold that I lost feeling in my limbs around an hour ago.

16 and living on the streets. Not how I imagined my future when I was 10. Ah 10, such an innocent age, not having a care in the world. My biggest worry had been whether Mom would let me watch my cartoons, and if Dad would help me with my drawings.

Well maybe I could go back to my 10 year old self and tell him, warn him... that soon Mom will die in a car crash. You will be in the fucking car but survive, only to go back to your soon to be alcoholic father and get the shit kicked into you everyday, until you eventually run away. Now that's a bright fucking future!

It's so cold.

It's around 6:30pm to 7:00pm as far as I can tell, still early evening. I just hope to God it doesn't get colder tonight.

You may think cause I've been on the street for years that I'm an idiot. Well your quite wrong. I'm sure I could outsmart many of the people I see walking around with big fat wallets.

Okay, I admit, I'm not exactly "book smart" but "street smart?" Hell. I could teach a class in the art of it.

After all, you do spend many hours outsmarting cops, shop keepers and other kids when you live like I do. Speaking of outsmarting shop keepers, I'm starving. And I don't mean starving as though I skipped lunch, no I haven't eaten for days and it's starting to effect my energy levels.

Sighing I make my way over to a local store. I haven't really stolen food from this one, which is good, meaning this will be easier cause I'm unknown. I pull my baggy hoodie closer and shiver inside it.

My eye's scan the rows, looking for something that would fill me up, and be easy to steal. I grab a couple of candy bars and then risk it all by going for a pack of skittles, a rare treat.

I make my way quickly over to the door again. Suddenly I hear a voice.

"Hey kid! You need to pay!"

That's all I need. I'm off, running out of the store and away from the site. My hand's in my pocket to stop my prizes falling out.

I turn around to see if anyone's following me. I see that nobody is and I'm just about to stop and congratulate myself when I run straight into somebody else.

Shit.