Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 21 - Memorial

The fire crackled in front of us, lighting up Frank's eyes. We had sat in the warmth of the fire for hours but now it was almost time to leave, due to the time and temperature now that the fire was dying.

Frankie yawned and stretched, which made me smile at his child like manner as he sniffed and rubbed furiously at his nose.

"Tired Frankster?" I giggled. He grinned sheepishly at me then nodded.

"But where are we gunna crash?" I wondered aloud.

Frank looked thoughtful for a few moments and I thought it was adorable how his face scrunched up slightly.

He seemed to come to a conclusion and then stared deep into my eyes.

"Well...I mean we could go where I stayed before...I suppose, if it's de-flooded itself. It would be a little squashed though...,” he babbled nervously

I put my hand on his shoulder and he stopped.

"So where is it?"

He looked embarrassed and his gaze followed the dying shadows of the embers.

"Not far from here... I could like show you? And then if it's crap then we can go elsewhere..."

"I'm sure it'll be fine Frankie." I reassured him, standing up

He nodded and bit his lip, took one last look at the fire and began walking.

We moved slow at first but sped up, trying to keep warm.

We walked along a track, which had dying grass over the edges. The bank started to get real muddy and the track was disappearing.

I started to get apprehensive...maybe we should go somewhere else?

The sound of running water was getting louder and an old bridge came into view.

"Under there" whispered Frank, his breath making ice crystals in the dark air.

I nodded and followed him under the bridge.

"There's... urm, not much room cause I was usually alone, but me and Jay fitted... but we where younger and smaller, well not much but..."

"We'll be fine" I interrupted his rambling, which I guessed he did whenever he was nervous. It was real dark now and the orange dim glow of the town didn't reach the darkness of the bridge and I couldn't really see.

We awkwardly lay down on the hard surface.

Frank shifted until we where both comfy... which happened to be Frank in my arms and me next to the cold wall, but I didn't mind.

"Thank you Gee." Frank whispered

"No worries Batman"

I imagined him smiling as it was to dark to see him but I could almost guarantee that he was.

"Good night... Love you" Frank yawned

"Love you too..."

He didn't speak again and figured he was asleep, I didn't blame him, it had been a long day.

I however, had more difficulty. The constant noise of the river kept me awake and every time I closed my eyes some noise would snap them back open.

I kept imagining a terrified and sobbing 10 year old Frankie stumbling down the bank and coming across this bridge... shivering and...

I quickly shook the thoughts from my head and soon the scene left my head and my own troubles haunted me...I'm homeless, I threw away everything for this one boy...I've really fallen. This wasn't some stupid crush, this was destiny.

I really need to tell him. Sure we said the big three words but that was nothing. Words are nothing without action.

Soon the restless thoughts soothed and I drifted away into a deep sleep.

***

Light fell on my eyes but I didn't open them.

What the hell? If Mikey opened my curtains again I'm going to kill him!

I eventually opened my heavy eyelids and to my surprise they where met with stone.

Suddenly it all came rushing back to me. I glanced down and smiled as Frank twitched in his sleep. Realising he wasn't going to wake up anytime soon I shifted slightly but stayed lying down, Frank in my arms.

I took the opportunity to look around my surroundings.

The bridge was pretty much your average stone, old fashioned bridge. Frank had been right there wasn't much room under here, room for two maximum really... The river was still running and it sparkled in the sunlight as it shot out of the depths of the bridge.

The walls of the bridge, however, caught my attention due to all the markings and scribbles on them.

I studied the wall closest to me and saw a set of marks running up the wall, one set read Frank, 10, Frank 11, Frank 12, Frank 13 and then stopped while another read Jay 11, Jay 12, Jay 13 and Jay 14.

I quickly gathered that the marks had been measuring height and I smiled at the fact that households quite often had a chart measuring children’s growth and here was this... bridge with one.

There where many more markings - some crude drawings, hangman, lyrics and two names written a number of times, Frank and Jay over and over.

As I glanced around I noticed a corner, which stood out. It was done in bright colors and stood out. It looked like it had been taken care of and been done carefully.

It had a set of hand prints that looked quite old and some flowers and a guitar had been drawn around them. There was lyrics there too, written in cursive writing, they read:
"Saying goodbye this time the same old story
Seeing you cry makes feel like saying sorry

Just a few last hours we gotta make this count
We're counting backwards"


I shuddered at the sadness of the place and read the final message.
"R.I.P Jay
May - November 23rd 2005
My Savior


It was plain that Frank had tried to make a memorial even though he was missing some of the vital information.

I remembered how hard it was for Frank to remember his surname... Looks like Jay couldn't remember either.

Suddenly the atmosphere of the enclosed space was uncomfortable and I felt like it was full of an over powering stench of memories and pain.

I heard a yawn and looked down and saw Frank had woken up. I looked into his eyes that where half covered by his hair and he grinned. And all of a sudden... I was okay again.

And hopefully that's how it's going to stay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song lyrics that are on Jay's memorial are from Hawthorne Heights - Saying Sorry off the Album If Only You Where Lonely.

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to my very own savior, they know who they are.
xo

Edit: I'm dedicating this to Casey from Hawthorne Heights. When I wrote this he was alive and well and it's so upsetting looking back that I had no idea was loomed in the future.
RIP Casey.