Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 23 - Sleep

As soon as I opened my eyes, pain hit me like a tidal wave and I hissed.

I was confused and disorientated. I looked around and worked out I was back under the bridge, which means Frank has gotta be here somewhere. Unless Leo… no!

My worries where extinguished, when my eyes grew used to the dim light and I could work out Frank’s small figure, rocking back and forward in front of Jay’s memorial.

I felt a slight twang of jealousy that Frank was over with the memorial instead of being with me, but that twang was soon turned into guilt as I heard what he was whispering.

”I’m sorry Jay…I know it’s my fault your not here anymore, and I have no right but please… make sure Gee’s okay? That dick Leo and his goons cornered us and… I’m so scared Jay, he won’t wake up. You wouldn’t wake up. What if… no, I couldn’t take that” by the end he was sobbing and I was on the verge of tears too.

I tried to sit up but I ached all over and I let out a “shit” as my body protested the movement.

At once Frank sat up and turned to me. “Gee?”

”Hey Frankie”

Frank let out a squeal and ran over to me.

”I was so scared, you wouldn’t wake up or nothing and I didn’t know what to do!”

”It’s okay now Frankie… how come we’re back at the bridge?”

”Well, after Leo ran off I stayed with you for ages but then it started to rain so I brought you back here.

A detail that my blurry vision had missed earlier along with my hearing it seemed, that it was in fact raining.

”Wait, you carried me all the way back? Like dead weight?”

”Well there was no way I was leaving you, plus the rain can make you ill.”

A silence fell across us and I knew that Frank was reminiscing into the past.

”How bad do I look?” Yes it sounded vain, but I wanted to know

”Not too bad, yet. It’s mostly bruising so it probably wont be totally visible until tomorrow.” Sighed Frank, obviously upset.

”You do know this isn’t your fault, don’t you Frankie?” I soothed,

”I should have stopped them” He growled

”The guy holding you down was three times your size, you would have ended up hurt.”

”I’d rather it had been me, than you” he said and my emotions went wild. Nobody had ever said anything like that to me and it came as a bit of a shock.

”You okay?” Frank asked, seeing my non responsive face.

”Frankie, I’m more than okay. Do you know why?”

He shook his head and I smiled, despite my pain.

”Because I have you.”

Frank grinned and hugged me tight, but being careful of my bruised skin.

”Now let’s get some sleep.” I whispered.