Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 27 - Crushed Angel

The bright hospital lights stung Gerard's eyes as they tiredly stared at the floor. Sorrow ripped through his heart every time a member of staff walked past him.

What was happening to Frankie? They had become so close and now they had been torn apart.

Lost in his own world of pain, Gerard didn’t even notice a young nurse walk up to him. She cleared her throat and his head whipped up.

”Is Frankie okay?” He asked as he stood up.

The nurse shot him a sympathetic smile before starting her explanation of what was wrong with the boy.

”I’m afraid your friend has hypothermia…”

”But he was getting better! He stopped shivering and everything!” Gerard cried,

”That’s why hypothermia is one of the most deadly conditions, it has 3 stages. In the later stages the victim may seem to be recovering, shivering stops and they may feel warmer.”

”Oh… Is he going to recover?” Whispered Gerard, almost afraid to ask.

”It’s very lucky you brought him in when you did, any longer and he would not have survived. At the moment we cannot be certain but it appears he has a fighting chance. At the minute we are injecting warm fluids into his body to help heat it.”

Gerard nodded his head slowly as he processed all the information. His greasy hair fell in his face and he used his fingers to comb it back.

”Can I see him?”

The nurse nodded and she began walking. Gerard assumed he was meant to follow her so he did so.

His feet felt like lead as he walked along the hospital wards that smelt so strongly of disinfectant that it stung his nose.

They stopped at a room and the nurse spoke to Gerard before walking away.

”Try not to move him, any movement could send his heart into shock due to its hypersensitivity. He may also have an irregular heartbeat, don’t panic it’s all part of the recovery process.

Gerard nodded even though the nurse had already spun on her heel and begun walking off.

Sighing softly he placed his shaking hand on the cold metal handle of the door that was separating the two soul mates.

It groaned slightly as he pushed on it and then it swung shut once Gerard was inside.

Gerard felt his heart shatter as he studied the broken child in the bed. Blankets engulfed his delicate form while wires connected to a drip and a heart monitor, trailed across the bed and disappeared into a gap in the blankets.

”Frankie…” he whimpered.

Tears burst their way through his eyes and he let out an agonizing cry.

He sobbed for a few minutes before a knock at the door disturbed him. He swiftly wiped away his tears and tore his gaze away from his crushed angel, and took a few steps closer to the door.

He opened it slowly and it revealed a man who has dark brown hair, who’s cheeks where flushed red from the cold and was wearing a police uniform.