Status: It's back :) xo

Street Kid

Chapter 9 - Memories

Gee POV

There was an awkward silence as we both sat on my bed. Frank was sitting on his hands, staring at the floor, his dark hair falling over his eyes.

"Frankie?" I asked, breaking the silence and he looked up at me and smiled

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you some questions?"

He seemed to consider it for a moment and I could see from his eyes that he was thinking of all the possible outcomes, good and bad.

"You don't have to answer them..."

"Okay then..." he said, nodding his head slowly and bringing his head up so that he could look into my eyes.

"How long have you been on the streets?" I asked, hoping that he wouldn't get offended or anything.

"Urm, well since I was 10... so 6 years I guess" he mumbled looking down again

I couldn't think of anything to say... he had been on the street when he was 10 fucking years old! He could have even been that kid me and my father saw!

He survived 6 years of cold, hunger and homelessness...

"Did you have any siblings?"

"No, I was...well still am, an only child. I may have some step brothers or sisters, but I don't know anymore."

I nodded again slowly and decided to ask a question that had been bugging me for a while... but I had to choose my words real carefully.

"So you told me about your Mother... but is that why you where on the Street? What about your Father?"

Frank seemed to freeze momentarily and I wondered if he was going to answer. He brought his head up again and I could see the pain swim through his eyes as he was remembering the past.

"Well..I..When I was ten, me and my Mom where in a car and and... It was summer and we where going for ice cream after buying a new CD and we where just singing and then all of a sudden... There a truck came out of nowhere and..."

I saw the tears start to fall down his face and I reached out and wiped them away.

"You don't have to carry on..."

"No, I need to... do me good or something" He said, sniffing and rubbing his eyes.

"The truck, it hit us head on and there was a light...it was so fucking bright and then silence. I tried to turn to my Mom but I couldn't move but I pushed myself real hard and I turned around and she was just laying there, pale skin and blood running down her face... Then there where sirens and I passed out."

Frank took a deep breath and I knew he wasn't finished. I kept quiet but placed my hand on his knee. He looked down at it, then back up, his eyes bright with gratitude and tears.

"When I woke up I was in a hospital bed... turns out I'd been in a coma for a while. I asked the doctors where my Mom was but they wouldn't tell me." Frank said, voice thick with sobs

"Then my Dad came and took me home... he told me it was all my fault that Mom died and then he... Well anyway I ended up running away a few weeks after." Frank was full out crying now and I pulled him towards me and I hugged him, he sobbed into my T-shirt.

I had to blink back my own tears. I had to be strong for Frankie...