Knights of Hell

My Knight from Hell

I never asked for this.

The stress, the pain, the guilt. . .the dying. And yet here I was, lying on the cold stone floor of his bedroom, breathless. . .paralyzed and hopeless.

Just hours ago I had witnessed a man, Dean Winchester, who I knew right and well, killed by an angel who claimed he was a God but in reality he was just a coward. By the time Sam and I had reached Dean, we told him he was going to be okay, that we would find some way to heal him.

At that point, I didn't know if we were just lying to ourselves or just couldn't accept the fact that he was going to die. Though he refused and it angered me until he said something that neither Sam or I would forget.

“I’m proud of us.” . . .

After everything we had been through. . .and he was proud of us.

“You have to believe me, when I suggested you take on the Mark of Cain, I didn't know this was going to happen. I never lied, Dean. That’s the important part. It’s fundamental.” She listened helplessly to Crowley. “But there is one story I may have forgotten to tell you.” Crowley stood up and walked over to Dean. She struggled for her liberation. “Apparently, he too, was willing to accept his own death, rather than becoming the killer the mark wanted him to be. He died. . . Except rumor has it, the mark never quite let go.” Crowley had now placed the blade in Dean’s right hand and positioned it onto his chest.

“What you’re feeling right now, it’s not death. It’s a new kind of life.” Max creased her brows, not sure of what he meant. Crowley came over to Max and they looked at each other. "I'm going to release you and don’t you dare think about making any moves.” Crowley threatened. The sudden force that held her released it’s grip and she was free. He grabbed her arm and pulled her up so that she was standing on her feet.

“I want you to see what this man has become. The greatness he will do.” He said as he tugged her over to Dean’s side. She squirmed in his hold. “Open your eyes Dean. See what I see. Feel what I feel. . .let’s go take a howl at that moon.” Crowley finished. Max kept her eyes on Dean, waiting for whatever was next.

Dean opened his eyes and Max's heart dropped. They were pitch black. “No.” She whispered. Dean blinked his eyes and sat up. “What have you done?” Max asked in fear. Crowley let go of her and watched her process.

She felt the air around her becoming thick and her head becoming light. "No. This can't be." She thought.

“Dean?” Max's voice cracked from the tears she was holding back. He didn't look at her, he just stared straight ahead. “Dean?” Her voice cracked again, this time she reached out to touch his face but just before her hand came in contact with his cheek, he quickly grabbed her wrist and stopped her.

She whimpered at his tight grip. "Dean is gone. This is demon Dean." Crowley walked over to the other side of the bed.

"You bastard. And to believe I actually trusted you for a moment." Max hissed. "Watch your tone." Crowley glared at her.

What was she still doing there? Why hadn't she called for Sam?

Just as Max was about to open her mouth to yell for Sam, Dean had her pinned against the wall with a flick of his wrist.

He rose to his feet and walked towards her. Now Max's heart was beating so fast, she feared that it might burst out of her chest.

Dean tilted his head and blinked. His eyes returned to normal but he still wasn't the Dean she knew. She couldn't find herself to be able to speak.

"From now on, you will serve Dean as he pleases." Crowley said. "If she causes any trouble, you make her learn her lesson." And then Crowley disappeared.

Dean snapped his fingers and they appeared in a large Victorian living-area. Max hadn't realized she had been released from his force and she stumbled to the ground.

As she laid there, she knew it was over. This was the end and no one could save her.