Safe and Sound

Chapter Thirty One - Dead Heartbeat ||PART THREE||

PART THREE - THE SCAR

Chapter Thirty One - Dead Heartbeat

I had never kissed anyone before, and I wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to feel like, but if kissing normally felt something like the kiss Grayson and I were sharing, I wondered why I hadn't tried it more often. Yes, I could taste blood, and not only my own. Yes, we were bruised. Yes, there were tears. But it was soft, warm and just how I imagined it would be, perhaps even better. I wasn't aware of the arena, the Games or the Capitol. All I knew in that moment was Grayson's bloody fingers lacing with mine as our lips seemed to dance together perfectly, the warmth from the kiss spreading all over my body and reaching my fingertips and toes.

The pain in my leg seemed to disappear as my brain was distracted. Grayson's warmth mixed with my own, making the situation that had been quite cold before seem warm and comfortable, as if we were really on fire. But a good fire. Not a scolding, burning, scarring one. A warm one. One that you would roast marshmallows on and stare at for hours. One you would sing to when you sat next to it, and one that welcomed you home after a long, cold day outside.

When we both pulled away and my eyes flickered open again, I found myself staring right into Grayson's blue eyes. The pain was still gone and they shone. The realistation of what I had just done suddenly dawned on me, and I sat up, only for my leg to practically beg for mercy. Grayson looked up at me, curiously. His blood stained my hand and the rest of it lay in a pool around him. He was bleeding out, bleeding himself to death. I had just kissed him, thinking of my own needs instead of his. Even after all this time and despite the amounts of times we had worked together, I felt like I was still quite bad at this 'ally' thing. I choked back a sob, tears streaming down my face.

"Grayson, I'm...I'm so s-" I started but Grayson dragged his frail body over to me and shook his head.

"Don't, please." He said. He sounded so heartbroken that I could have just ran after the mutts and let them eat me alive. "Actually, Harper. You wouldn't believe how long I have had to wait for that. Harper, don't look sad, please. That was all the painkillers that I need right now. Harper, it's been so good knowing you and I can't say how thankful I've been. But it's my time, I can't prevent that, and I know you know."

Grayson then turned away and coughed, his whole body shuddering. Blood came out from that cough, genuine blood. He was bleeding internally too. His whole body was begging for mercy, but Grayson stood firm. He was holding on for just a few more minutes, trying to stay in this world for as long as possible.

Yet again, another thing he had over the Capitol. Yes, he was dying, but he wasn't letting the Games snuff out his light as quick as a switch. He was elongating his death, making sure he touched the hearts of everyone in the Games. He turned to face me, the blood from his lungs covering his mouth and chin. It genuinely hurt me to see him like this.

Grayson then took another breath, before falling backwards. He was completely still. I screamed and dived forward, grabbing onto his body, not caring about the blood. Why hadn't the cannon gone? I thought, but I had more important things to think about, such as waking up my ally. That is, if he could be woken up.

"Grayson?" I said, my voice barely a whisper from shock and sadness. "Grayson? Grayson?" I was cut off the by the cannon and the anthem of Panem blaring loudly. I gasped and looked up to the sky.

No, I couldn't.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to present the victor of the ninety-ninth Hunger Games, Harper Anselin!" Claudius Templesmith's voice says. But I didn't smile or fall to the ground crying with joy, I shook my head.

"No!" I screamed, my voice sounding mad and pained. I grabbed Grayson's pack that had been discarded and threw it across the Cornucopia, so it landed with mine a few metres away. The Hovercraft had appeared in the sky and was hovering above me. The ladder had been dropped down, but I skidded away from it, dragging Grayson's bloody body with me. I couldn't think straight over the sound of the Capitol's live cheers that they were playing for me. "NO!" I shout, even louder. The Capitol's cheers suddenly died down and I could hear them muttering among themselves.

I shook my head, tears pouring down my face. I slump backwards and snuggle myself into Grayson's body...it was still warm. That made me cry harder.

It was still warm.

When someone died, their bodies went cold in a matter of seconds. Grayson had been dead, or so I thought, for a few minutes now. He should have been stone cold. But no, he was warm. I was still crying, as to not alert the Capitol of my shock, but I pressed my ear against Grayson's chest, pretending that I was holding him closer to me. I could hear the steady thud, thud of his heart. Come to think of it, I could feel his chest rise and fall slightly beneath me. I had to try hard to stop myself from smiling. They had blown the cannon so they could get me out of there, with me thinking that Grayson was actually dead. They had just wanted it over quicker. They knew he was going to die anyway, so the Gamemakers had waited until he looked dead enough before they blew the cannon.

I looked up to the skies and let go of Grayson. They wanted a show? I would give them a show. I stood up, pain coursing through my leg, anger coursing though my veins. I had to think of a plan, and quickly.

"I will come...just...just let me say goodbye." I said. As expected, the Capitol's cheers started up again. Perfect. If they hadn't heard me shout 'no' at the top of my voice over the sound of their own cheering, then they wouldn't hear what I was whispering to Grayson. And they would definitely not hear what Grayson would be whispering back.

I lowered myself to the ground and turned on my side so I was looking at Grayson. He kept his eyes shut. I had to give it to him, he was definitely clever.

"Grayson." I whispered. He nodded slowly and discretely, signalling he could hear me. "Grayson, we can both get out of here. I know. You'll have to trust me and stand up. Wait a minute." I shuffled over to his pack and pulled out my arrow with the mockingjay feather attached to it. I could now hear sobs coming from the Capitol, as well as cheers. They thought that I was going to give him some sort of burial. I ignored the Hovercraft that was waiting for me.

I gritted my teeth and shuffled back over to Grayson and slipped the arrow into his hand. I then leaned down and kissed his cheek.

"For luck." I said. I rubbed my red ribbon once, before leaning down and started to heave Grayson up to his feet. He didn't move or speak. He acted as dead as a dead person would. The Capitol started to hush once more, evidently confused. I then leaned into Grayson's ear. "Now, I know it hurts, but you've got to stand strong. Please, just one more fight. Please, for me."

Grayson opened his beautiful eyes and stared up at the sky, anger and hatred taking over his features. I heard gasps from the live feed from the Capitol.

"Gamemakers." He muttered, addressing them exactly. "I'm not dead, so why did you fire the cannon? If you did this for me, does this mean you've done it to other tributes, making them a permanent relic in the Games?" Grayson sounded so heart broken, so angry and so shocked that the Capitol went silent. "As if the Games weren't bad enough, you've lied to us. You've killed our children and you've lied about it."

Grayson then sat himself down, wincing. He held my arrow, slowly stroking the feather. My fingers found themselves playing with the feather weaved into my plait.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Claudius Templesmith's voice rang out, "I am pleased to present the victors of the ninety-ninth Hunger Games, Harper Anselin and Grayson Stengard!" The Capitol started cheering once more. I turned and looked down at Grayson, who was looking very sickly. He was now clutching his abdomen, the blood seeping through his fingers, almost completely unable to move. I crouched down in front of him, gripping his arms.

"We're going home." I whispered, not quite sure if what had happened. Grayson managed a small smile, a pained smile.

"Yeah, we're going home."
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't think this chapter is very good, but eh. I tried. I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless! I know it's short, but it will do :)

I am also sad to say that this book is nearly finished! It has taken me hours of typing, thinking and listening to music to write it and I am so glad that I did!

Please tell me what you think as I love feedback and comments! But remember, just having you as one of my readers is more than enough. I love every single one of you and I hope to see you on the next chapter :)

foreversmaug x

May the odds be ever in your favour ❁