Status: Part of a Series

Forget About It

Chasing A Tale

“What do you mean, you want to run a sting to keep an eye on these guys?” Hayley asks.

Gerard had been practicing how he was going to introduce this all to the team for the past several hours and only decided to go for it when Hayley had come in, on her off day. She does that sometimes because she’s got the same amount of a social life as the rest of them do, which is to say, not at all.

“That’s it. That’s exactly what I’m saying, I’m positive they're doing something in that house I just don’t have any proof,” Gerard answers.

“He’s right, something fishy was going on between them,” Brendon says, “and I don’t like the way they’re stocking up like they’re making a lot. You can’t buy supplies in one go, you have to go to drug stores or supermarkets, pick things up in smaller dosages. Alerts are sent out immediately if anyone buys an above average limit in one place, so it makes sense to come to the conclusion that our guys are stalking up for an unfathomably large lab.”

“Yeah but still, drugs? That’s NYPD’s problem not ours,” Patrick says looking skeptical.

Hayley nods, agreeing with Patrick, “And hardened criminals owning a beach house on Coney Island? I just don’t buy that.”

“Have you seen drug money? You could put a kid through college if you’ve got enough stock and if it’s good quality,” Gerard says. He’d done some narc work back in his earlier days as a cop, but that was a while ago. He still remembered some of that job though, and drug money is very good money indeed.

“You know a lot about drugs,” Frank says raising an eyebrow, like he’s found some Achilles heel of Gerard’s.

“I went undercover for a while,” he says with a wave of his hand. It’s nothing more than it seems though, so Franks looking too much into it.

“I’m just not sold on it,” Hayley states.

“I don’t know guys, I just have a really strong feeling about this. There’s something else going on here, I’m positive of it, I just don’t know what it is yet,” Gerard says, and the feeling on the back of his neck creeps up again, like he’s missing something so completely obvious, but there just doesn’t seem to be a reason for that feeling to be there.

“Did you already ask for a warrant?” Hayley sighs.

“I went over to ask this morning, but ‘I have a feeling’ isn’t really going to cut it,” Gerard says, “that’s why I want to do some spying. The judge didn’t look to happy when I asked for the warrant so it’s unlikely. It’s just not a good enough case yet.”

“No, well that’s true because it’s a stupid fucking thing to ask,” Frank says, and Gerard gives him a distasteful glare.

“Well me and Brendon noticed the for sale sign across the way, and I think it’s a perfect angle to get some sort of evidence,” Gerard says. “We just have to gather enough recon, maybe a glimpse of the goods, and we’ll have it in the bag. There’s a lot of drugs there guys, think about the people we could be helping if we stop a major seller before they have the time to even sell.”

“Why do you care so much about it? Drugs are a lot less important than murders Gerard,” Hayley points out.

“I can’t explain it, okay? I just got this feeling about that house, and those men. Like you do when you’re watching a horror film and you know something really bad is about to happen. I can’t describe it and if I could you wouldn’t want me to. It wigged me out.”

“Yeah because Jason was waiting behind a bush to chop your head off,” Frank sneers. That’s exactly the reaction Gerard was worried he’d get from Frank.

“No not like that at all,” Brendon says shaking his head, “there was something, he’s not kidding. Like I can’t even begin to explain it but something felt... wrong.”

“Exactly!” Gerard says looking ecstatic that Brendon is backing him up on this, because he was worried for a minute there that he had imagined that whole thing.

“Oh great so both of you had these strange feelings,” Hayley asks, making a disbelieving face as she says it. “I suppose you had a psychic vision?”

“You could be a little more polite, I am your boss,” Gerard says, looking at her, and Frank snorts. Gerard sends him another evil glare, but he doesn’t seem to fazed by it

Brendon tries to add on to the case, “It can’t really hurt. If it’s drugs then we’ll be able to take these guys down for that at least.”

“It’s a waste of resources,” Patrick says, still looking unsure.

“I’ll go talk with Reyes about it then,” Gerard states and he walks away confidently. The department director happens to like Gerard, so it’s not entirely impossible that they’ll get permission. Gerard’s instincts are his responsibility, and if does end up being a bad lead, then it’s on Gerard not the others.

Patrick makes a face, “wonder how that’s going to turn out.”

“I don’t know,” Brendon says, “Gerard’s pretty persuasive when he wants to be.”

“I doubt that,” Frank snorts and he returns to his cubicle.

“Well I’ll do whatever you tell me I am to do, but if this all turns sour, then on Gerard’s head be it,” Hayley says.

“Fair enough,” Brendon says, and he gives Patrick a worried stare. He just shrugs and gets back to doing some paperwork.

It’s only ten minutes later when Gerard returns looking happy, but more smug than anything else.

“You got approval?” Hayley asks looking up, somewhat shocked.

“Yep, he green lighted us. He’s calling the sellers right now to take the house off the market for a little while,” Gerard says, “homeowners probably wouldn’t like living across from a meth lab anyway.”

“So what’d you say, to get him to go for it?”

“Just told him that they looked suspicious and that I wanted to break in the new guy a little more,” He says giving Frank slanted and evil eyes.

“Oh really? And by break in do you mean physically break?” Hayley asks.

“Well if that ends up being a repercussion then it’s just collateral damage,” Gerard says, twisting a grin as he looks at Frank scornful face.

Frank starts, “You motherfu-”

“Hey, hey,” Patrick interrupts and then shrugs and asks, “Alright, when do we start?”

“We’re a go for some time in a few hours, so prepare for a little tanning guys, because we are going to the beach.”
♠ ♠ ♠
More yelling and arguments to come! Comment maybe?