Status: Completed, being posted one chapter at a time.

Hearts Like Ours

Sixteen

Charlie watched with bated breath as Allison turned slowly to look at her. The expression on her face was unreadable. She let out a small yelp of surprise as her best friend suddenly gripped her wrist, perfectly manicured nails digging into her skin. Wordlessly, Allison tugged her away from the doors where Cam and Harry stared bewildered after her.

“Well, that could have gone better,” Cam called after Charlie sarcastically. Charlie shot him a glare over her shoulder, still being dragged behind Allison and back toward the bathroom she’d been in earlier. She turned away just as Cam took a step toward Harry, extending his hand to shake. She wasn’t sure if it was a good or bad thing that Cam had taken a liking to Harry even before meeting him, but she didn’t have time to properly think about it as she was shoved into the small restroom, the large latch on the door locking into place.

“What the hell, Charlie,” Allison finally said. Her voice sounded angry and Charlie bit her lip as she took a step backward, letting her lower back rest against the cool edge of the sink. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she demanded.

“I didn’t know how,” she answered truthfully, guilt seeping into her tone. She regretted not having found the time to tell her, not making a spare moment when none naturally arose.

“Harry fucking Styles just sauntered into my birthday party and you couldn’t warn me?”

“I didn’t know what to say!”

“How about, ‘Hey, I’m bringing a member of the most popular boy band on the planet to your party as my date’? What about that?”

“He’s not my date,” Charlie argued.

“What is he then?”

“I don’t know!” she snapped, turning from Allison to face the mirror. She lifted a hand to pinch the bridge of her nose, annoyance getting the better of her. Allison let out a sigh and Charlie could her the sound of her heels as she came to stand beside her.

“What’s going on? How do you even know him?” Allison’s voice sounded much calmer now, almost gentle. Charlie knew she was really the one who had messed up in the friendship department. This was a huge deal and yet she hadn’t divulged this information to someone who was supposed to be her best friend, or at least was once. Sure, they stood on shakier ground now, but they were trying to rebuild their trust and she’d just ignored her responsibility to it.

“He found my journal on tour. It was on the street, he found it and then he found me.”

“What journal? The one Emmett had?”

Charlie nodded in reply and Allison’s eyes widened.

“So... He read it?”

Again, Charlie nodded. Allison furrowed her eyebrows together, taking a moment to silently process this information.

“Harry Styles stumbled upon your journal, read it, decided to find you, and now he’s here?” Allison summarized. It was the SparkNotes version, but was enough to hold her over until she could really get the details.

“Yeah,” Charlie affirmed, rubbing a hand over her eye before she realized the make-up she had on. A moment later she reached for a paper towel, wetted it, and padded softly over the place where she had smudged her eyeliner. She crumped up the paper towel and forced it into a nearby trashcan before looking up to meet Allison’s eyes in the reflection of the mirror. Allison’s lips upturned into a wide grin and Charlie narrowed her eyes, wary of this change in expression.

“You just successfully snagged the hottest, most popular musician on the planet right now, and you hadn’t even met him.”

Charlie felt her face flush crimson and was thankful for the dim lighting and foundation she was wearing.

“I didn’t snag anyone. We’re friends, and I use even that term loosely. I haven’t even known him a week.”

“But how long has he known you?” Allison quipped.

She cocked her head to one side as she considered this question. In the millions of thoughts that had flooded her mind about Harry’s fascination with her, this wasn’t something she hadn’t factored in. Allison wiggled her eyebrows suggestively before unlocking the bathroom door and easing back out into the ballroom.

Charlie turned back to her reflection in the mirror with the knowledge that she’d have to go back out there, have to apologize to Harry for what had just taken place and pray that Allison and Cam didn’t embarrass her in the meantime. But for a moment, she thought outside herself.

It was true that she was initially uncomfortable with the idea that someone, anyone, had read her deepest, most inner thoughts about her life and those around her. She had reservations about being fully on display for someone and not even knowing about it, and she resented him for it on some level, even if it was subconsciously.

But if anyone had to find it, she was glad it was Harry.

He’d been nothing but <i>there</i> for her from the moment he found her. He knew so much about her, really knew her soul, and yet leant an ear to listen anyway. She was being to harsh on him, and the realization made her feel queasy with guilt. With one final glance at her reflection, she turned and made her way out of the restroom, a new determination in her step.

Cam had shifted Harry away from the entrance, now standing in a corner of the room near a table of hors d'oeuvres. Allison was with them and she said something that made Harry laugh, his eyes closing hard as he bent forward. Charlie paused for a moment, watching as this strange mixture of friends interacted with each other. Cam’s eyes fell on her and Harry turned after taking notice, a trace of a smile still hinting on his mouth. She self-consciously tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as she began moving toward them again, feeling somewhat less powerful beneath his piercing green eyes.

“Hey,” he greeted, reaching a hand out for her as if to embrace her in a hug. Thinking better of it, his hand dropped to his side a moment later. Charlie bit her lip and tried to locate whatever small bit of courage might be residing within her to propel her forward and into his arms. He took half a step-back, surprised. His body was rigid at first, but he melted into it not a heartbeat later, acutely aware of how her body felt pressed against his. The topmost part of her head reached just to the tip of his nose and he breathed in the smell of her lilac shampoo.

She stepped back a few second later, looking up timidly to meet his eyes, which were filled with curiousity and humor. “I’m sorry,” she apologized and he laughed.

“Sorry for hugging me?”

“No. Sorry for everything else.”

He raised his eyebrows at her, but she made no further elaboration. Instead, she turned to face Cam who was pouting at her for a hug. She stepped into his awaiting arms and he lifted her from the floor. Harry took a sip of the miniature bottle of water he was holding as he watched the exchange, vaguely jealous of the easy way in which she trusted him as he crushed her playfully. Cam looked up to meet Harry’s eyes and winked before releasing the giggling blonde.

“I never get any of those,” Allison frowned at Cam. He moved forward as if to ensnare her in a similar fashion, but she jumped back to evade his arms. “Not now. You’ll wrinkle my dress or mess up my make-up or something. You’re destructive.”

Cam nodded sadly, but Harry noted the glint in his eye. Charlie was laughing before he’d even lunged in Allison’s direction again, catching her off guard and twirling the chuckling redhead in the air. Harry looked from the two back to Charlie, who had unconsciously made her way back to his side. Her eyes lit up, following them as Cam safely sat Allison back on the ground and she punched him softly in the arm.

“Hope I’m not interrupting anything, but I need to steal Allison,” came the smooth voice of Sara Faulker. Allison turned to her mother, excusing herself from the small group as she followed Sara through the crowd of people that had gathered. It seemed not only family and friends were invited, but acquaintances of both her parents as well. At least one hundred and fifty guests had appeared and more were in the process of arriving.

“Charlize, who is your friend?”

She had been so captivated by observing the party-goers, that she hadn’t noticed both of her parents had arrived behind her. She turned suddenly, the trance broken. The two no longer waited for her response as Harry outstretched his hand, introducing himself to the two. Shifting her weight uncomfortably from one heel to the other, she guaged her parents reaction of him, which seemed distinctly positive. Harry had obviously turned on the charm and Charlie suppressed a smile as he talked easily to them.

“He’s good,” Cam murmured in her ear. She nodded in response, bewildered by the exchange that was happening. Harry wasn’t her date, but it felt vaguely like introducing a boyfriend at a family reunion.

“So how on Earth did you run into Charlize?” her mother asked. Harry’s eyes shifted to hers and she blushed, aware that at some point she should step in.

“It’s kind of a long story,” Charlie dismissed, pressing her hand lightly into her mother’s back in a silent plea for her to stop grilling a boy she hardly knew herself. The plea fell upon deaf ears as and she sighed as her father asked him how long he was in town.

“Another week. Maybe a few days more,” Harry replied, hands folded behind his back as he leaned into the discussion, tilting his head slightly in an attempt to hear over the music as her father began to talk again.

“Do you have plans on Sunday? Charlize, you should invite him to dinner.”

Charlie sighed, eyes fluttering closed in exasperation. When she opened them again, Harry was watching her with a lazy grin on his face.

“We have dinner as a family every Sunday,” her father explained. Harry nodded, licking his lips as he listened. Charlie felt an urge to punch him for encouraging it. As if sensing this, Harry hit her playfully with his hip. She frowned.

“We’d love to have you. Six o’clock. Charlie knows the place,” her dad joked. It took everything within her not to wince as her father winked in her direction and Harry laughed, promising to show up. Her face was hot as her parents leaned in to kiss her cheek in turn before leaving them in favor of fraternizing with Allison’s family.

“What gives?” Cam crossed his arms in mock anger. “It was months before I was ever invited to family dinner.”

“It’s a gift,” Harry shrugged with a chuckle. Charlie rolled her eyes, praying her make-up was hiding the tomato-like state of her complexion.

“You don’t mind, do you?” Harry asked, suddenly serious. He scanned her face as she looked up at him. “I don’t mean to intrude. If you don’t want me to come...”

“Don’t be an idiot,” Charlie replied with a dismissive shake of her head. Harry’s expression didn’t change, as if he was doubting everything she was saying to him. The nagging feeling of guilt was returning as she realized exactly how reserved she’d been toward him.

“Really,” she assured him. “I’d like for you to come.”

He relaxed slightly, but his gaze didn’t leave hers. She bit her lip, feeling a sudden wave of nerves wash over her as she determinedly stared back, not wanting to be the first to look away. A moment later, she felt a tap on her shoulder and sighed, feeling defeated in a game that hadn’t been formally announced. She turned to meet Jaclyn and Olivia, who eached hugged her in turn. Charlie bit her lip as each of their gazes shifted to Harry who still stood behind her. Reluctantly, she introduced them.

“This is Harry,” she said, turning to him. He smiled warmly at the two girls as they gawked at him. Charlie felt almost embarrassed by proxy.

“Harry, this is Jaclyn and Olivia.”

He glanced over at her for a brief moment, their eyes connecting as she realized he knew the names, recognized the major players in her life. She chewed on the inside of her cheek as he shook hands with both of the girls, complying when they asked to take a picture with him. Cam stood beside her, resting his arm over her shoulder.

“You’ve got it bad,” he joked, squeezing her closer to him. Charlie’s eyes left Harry to look up at Cam.

“What are you talking about?”

“You’re jealous,” he shrugged.

“No I’m not,” she answered immediately. Cam rolled his eyes in response but said no more. She felt annoyed suddenly and shrugged off Cam’s arm, making her way to the bar and asking for a bottle of water. Cam had followed her through the crowd and now stood beside her with that knowing look he sometimes used. It always made her feel like a kid caught with a hand in the cookie jar and she resented him for it. Somehow, he always compelled her to tell him what was on her mind. She twisted off the cap to the bottle and took a drink before sucking in a breath.

“I’m just realizing that I might be an awful person,” she admitted after a moment of Cam’s intense stare. Cam let out a bark of laughter and she smiled weakly at him before taking another sip.

“Oh, that’s all, then?”

Charlie punched him lightly on the arm and he laughed more.

“He knows so much about me and I’ve been so closed-off to him ever since he arrived. I know almost nothing about him and I haven’t really even tried. I’m being too harsh, aren’t I?”

She peeked up at Cam who stood beside her with his arms crossed. He was focused on Jaclyn and Olivia, who were flirting shamelessly with Harry across the ballroom. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Charlie could sense this happening and made an effort not to watch.

“Did the thought ever occur to you that maybe it’s difficult for him to know you so well while you still treat him like a stranger?”

Charlie swallowed, the saliva catching in her throat. It hadn’t, and admitting it only progressed the terrible feeling she had in her gut.

“Yep. You’re terrible,” Cam confirmed with a laugh and nod of his head, throwing his arm back over her shoulder. From across the room, Harry’s head turned in their direction. Olivia and Jaclyn were still talking, but he offered Charlie a grin anyway. The edges of her lips upturned in a reflex reaction and Cam nudged her with his leg.

“Maybe it’s time you invest some interest in him,” Cam whispered in her ear. Half a moment later he was gone, weaving his way through the crowd to meet Tanner, who had just walked in. Charlie stood alone for a moment, watching them as they greeted each other with a kiss. Tanner noticed her and sent her a friendly wave, which she returned immediately.

“Charlie?”

She turned to face Allison, who stood behind her. Despite this being her party, she looked angry, yet somehow sad.

“Yeah?” she responded, moving her hand to touch Allison’s arm, a reaction she didn’t pause to think about. She was perplexed by Allison’s change in demeanor.

“I’m so sorry,” she apologized, throwing a glare over her shoulder at Sara, who was on the phone in a corner of the room. “It’s my mom. Apparently someone here let word slip that Harry’s here and now a crowd’s gathering outside. She wants him to leave.”

Charlie sucked in a breath, taking in this information. Her eyes found Harry, where he stood already watching her, excusing himself from Olivia and Jaclyn to make his way over to her. It was as if he could tell already something was wrong, that it had something to do with him. The thought that this had happened to him before deepened her sadness and she forced her eyes back to Allison who was becoming visibly more angry by the moment.

“I hate that she’s making me do this. I mean, it’s my party. I should be able to have whoever the fuck I want here, but she’s turned this into some sort of event to impress her colleagues at work and...”

“What’s going on?” Harry asked, taking his place beside Charlie. He seemed calm, despite the fact that Allison was visibly upset and Charlie’s hands were shaking lightly. He pressed his warm hand against hers casually in an attempt to steady them and she let out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding.

“Allison’s mom is concerned about the crowd growing outside,” Charlie explained, turning to look up at him. He sucked his lip between his teeth and nodded, unfazed.

“Is there a back exit?” he asked. Allison nodded in response, beginning to tell him of its location through the kitchens. Harry nodded as she spoke, listening intently to her directions.

“I’m coming with you,” Charlie declared suddenly. Allison stopped talking and Harry raised his eyebrows, momentarily stunned.

“Sorry, Allison. I know it’s your party...”

“No. You should go with him. We can meet up after all this is over and do something fun. Sounds much better than what’s going on here,” she huffed in response. Charlie stepped forward and took Allison into her arms, hugging her tightly before releasing her a moment later to step back toward Harry, who watched her amusedly.

“Where are we going to go now?” he asked just before Charlie began leading the way through the throngs of party goers toward the kitchen.

“My apartment’s down the street. We can go there until we meet back up with Allison.”

Charlie kept her head forward, determined as she pushed through the doors to the blinding fluorescent lights of the kitchen. The staff didn’t seem surprised at their appearance, having apparently been warned. They hurried through it, Charlie breathing in deeply as they hit the open night air. She spun in a circle, looking upward at the stars in the sky. When she returned to Earth, Harry was standing beside her, somewhat dumbfounded, yet smiling at her warmly. She laughed, feeling a thousand times lighter as she returned to his side, their hands brushing softly as they began to walk beside each other. Comfortable silence settled between the two, and despite herself, Charlie couldn’t help the smile on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi hello.
Been a busy week and will probably continue to be that way, but thanks for your patience as always.
Love you all.
Say hi here or at socoolyouseem.tumblr.com
You know, as per usual.
(: