Status: Updated 4/26/17.

Ready to Live

Chapter 4

Luke was there on the couch waiting for me and staring at me as well, while Mason was sitting at a chair diagonal from him, trying to look calm.

"Sasha. It's about fucking time."

"Luke. Aren't you a delight?"

"Where the fuck did your confidence come from?"

"It's always been there. I just recently found it, is all."

The smirk on my face was ever apparent.

"So, is this the asshole who you left me for?"

I laughed hard.

"He isn't the reason I left, but if he was, he'd be a lot better than you."

"There isn't any guy better than me."

I kept on with the laughter and Brandon began to laugh.

"Where'd you find this guy?"

"He was the guy whose car I jumped. Remember me telling you?"

"You never told me it was for a guy."

"Would it really have mattered? A person is a person, you dumbfuck."

He jumped up off the couch and went for my throat. Before I could do anything, Brandon threw him to the ground.

"Don't you fucking touch her."

"Brandon. It's okay. I can handle this."

"Are you sure that he's not your boyfriend?" he said trying to get up.

Once he was up and came near me, I got my fist ready and hit him, giving the asshole a bloody nose... and another seat on the floor. I laughed as did Brandon and Mason. Because of this, Mason walked over and hugged me.

"How you feeling, asshole? 'Cause you don't look like you're feeling too good." I said with another smirk.

He growled.

"I'll take that as you're not feeling good then."

"You are coming with me whether you like it or not."

He was struggling to get up, but even more so.

"How can I if you're the one on the floor? How's that feel? To be the one on the fucking floor?!" I said screaming in his face.

He had nothing left to say, but he did get up again. Brandon and Mason walked over once he began walking away.

"I've one thing left to say. Good riddance. I'm gone. Someone else can deal with you, you crazy bitch."

Once I heard the door slam, I sat on the couch and began to bawl. The tears I were expecting finally came and I couldn't believe that I was crying like that in front of two of my friends who cared about me so damn much. Arms enveloped me and I cried on Brandon's shoulder, not Mason's like I was expecting to cry on; I was surprised. I met him that night after work, we hung out last night and we had lunch today; I mean, that's crazy. Mason has been my shoulder to cry on even when Luke and I were still happy. It was a nice change though and it's also nice to have options now.

"Tissues?" Mason asked after maybe thirty seconds.

"Yes. Please." I said, sniffling.

He stood up to get a box while Brandon's arms got stronger around me and I got more comfortable in them.

"Hi honey." he said what felt like an eternity later.

"Thank you, Mase."

"Anytime, Sasha." he said, kissing my cheek.

Even though I didn't wanna leave his arms, I did because I really did need the tissues.

"This is embarrassing."

"Why's it embarrassing?" Brandon asked.

"I'm crying in front of two amazing people that I can call my friends."

"Don't ever feel that way, okay? We care about you."

I smiled and kissed his cheek.

"You're both too sweet. You know that?" I said, looking at Mason then over to Brandon.

I decided to kiss Brandon on the cheek as well; he blushed and it was adorable.

"Do you still wanna hang out tonight?" Brandon asked.

"Of course. I really wanna watch and learn about hockey tonight. You can come with us if you'd like." I said eagerly.

"I would say yes, but you two need to bond. I'll join you for the next game."

"Sounds good."

"So, what do you wanna do till then?"

That's when Mason's phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Oh, hey Mom. How are you?"

I loved his mom.

"Really good. Sasha's here and our new friend, Brandon is too."

"Put her on speaker." I whispered.

He nodded and did so.

"Hi Mrs. Morris."

"Oh, hi honey. How are you?"

"Great. How are you?"

"Pretty good."

"That's good. How's my Mason?"

"Great. What's going on?"

"Not much, but uh...your dad and I are going on a trip to Europe in a month."

"That's amazing, Mom."

All of a sudden, I wanted to tell her about Luke. She obviously knew about him as she has become a surrogate mother to me over the past six years; she hates him so much that it's not even funny.

"Mrs. Morris, I wanna tell you something."

"What is it, hun?"

"I had a confrontation with Luke..."

I went on to tell her about the last time he yelled at me and hit me to now.

"Oh. My. God. That is crazy, but I am so happy for you! That piece of trash is out of your life!"

I love her.

"Thank you. That means a lot coming from you."

"Well, I love you to death. You know that."

"Yeah. I love you too."

"Mom, Sasha made a new friend the other day."

"Oh, is that so? What's her name?"

"He is sitting right there. His name is Brandon."

"Hi Mrs. Morris. It's nice to meet you."

"Well, hi there. It's nice to meet you too. How'd you meet my Sasha?"

"She jumped my car after a performance."

"That was so sweet of her! You should know that I've never met a person as nice and kindhearted as her."

"I love that about her. I don't know her too well, but... I really do love it." he said smiling.

"Aww..."

I blushed.

Is he saying he likes me?

That's crazy if he does.

Mason looked over, smiling and saw the look on my face.

Oh, jeez. What the fuck is he thinking?

The subject was left there and I was thankful; I wasn't sure I wanted to know if Brandon was crushing on me. I literally just ended a relationship and I don't need that... as sweet as it is.

"I love your Mom, Mason." Brandon said just a minute after Mason hung up.

"She's the best. Isn't she?" I asked.

"Just about. Next to my mom, of course."

Mason and I nodded.

"So, does anybody wanna do anything till the game?" Brandon asked.

"I wanted to call my cousin and chill before I do anything, maybe even nap. You know, I would do anything otherwise, but uh... Luke was exhausting. Sorry."

"It's fine. I'd probably do the same... well, the latter."

I smiled.

"Thank you for understanding."

"How could I not? I couldn't imagine going through something like that."

A few minutes later, Brandon was on his way out when he hugged me.

"I'll see you at six-thirty? I'll pick you up?"

"Sounds like a plan." I said hugging back.

"See ya. See ya Mase!"

"See ya!" Mase and I said simultaneously.

Once the door was shut, he smirked and I knew what he was about to bring up.

"You like him and he likes you."

I rolled my eyes and began my walk to my bedroom.

"I already told you to shut up about Brandon, and two, he doesn't like me."

"I'm sorry... I can't help it."

""Well, try a little harder 'cause it's irritating."

When I got to my door a few seconds later, I shut it and locked it. I then took a breath, laid on my bed and called my cousin, Elyse, knowing she wasn't working.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ellie."

"Sashie! How are you?"

I smiled at the nickname, a nickname that has resonated since we were kids. Elyse is two years older than me and started calling me that as soon as she could talk. Well, that's what her mom(my mom's sister) told her; she couldn't have possibly known that. She's also the only one who's ever called me that, so there's definitely a special bond there.

"That's a loaded question."

"Why is it? What happened?"

"Um... it all has to do with Luke."

She's the only other person I've told about him.

"Oh. Him."

I let out a heavy sigh.

"Sasha, please tell me what's going on."

"Well, it started earlier this week when he hit me and I decided to leave..."

And on I went on with the story. By the time I finished the entire story, tears were streaming down my face. Damn. I thought the tears were all gone and in Brandon's shirt.

"So, this Brandon. Is he cute? Is he single? 'Cause he sounds like a sweetheart."

Really, Ellie? Really? I just told you about all that happened with Luke.

"I can't believe you just asked me that!"

"Why not?"

"Why not? I just told you about everything with Luke!"

"Well, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have."

"I forgive you. So, what do you think of all this?

"I think it's crazy and I gotta say, you have two great friends there. I've never met Brandon, but he surely sounds like one."

"Yeah. I must be lucky to have them. After all that's happened, I have people who have my back, including you, hun."

"Oh, sweetie. I don't know about Brandon and Mase, but I'm pretty sure we're all the lucky ones here."

She always knows what just to say.

"I love you. You know that?"

"I love you too. Am I free to ask more about Brandon now?"

"Yeah. Absolutely."

"What he's do for a living?"

"He plays hockey."

"NHL? OMG. Is it Brandon Sutter? It is. Isn’t it?"

She was so fucking excited and is way into hockey, just like Mason.

"Yes. It is."

She then squealed.

"He is so fucking gorgeous!"

I laughed at her reaction.

"Does this mean you wanna meet him?"

"Ooh... could I?"

"Of course. I'll ask him about when and then, I'll talk to you."

"You are the best. You know that?"

After about ten more minutes of talking, I hung up and laid down for a well-deserved nap. I needed as much rest as I could get before he picked me up because who knew what the night would bring.