Status: Updated 4/26/17.

Ready to Live

Chapter 8

Five days later, I was due to work behind the scenes on a crazy Friday night and hoping to see Brandon in the audience who is there often, no matter what; seeing him there as much as he can be brings my heart immense joy. I try to make it to as many games as possible, but it's hard just like it is for him; our schedules tend to clash, but we do attempt to be there for one another as much as humanly possible. The reason why I'm hoping to see him is because he was having trouble with his car and he was highly doubtful if he'd be able to make it; it clearly saddened me, but I was fine with it because hell, shit happens and we just have to deal with it. About ten minutes before showtime, I heard a noise from behind me and saw a smile on Mase's face; he smiles a lot, but something was clearly up.

"Mase? What are you smiling about?"

He was looking in the direction of the sound I heard.

"I can't just smile?"

"Well, yeah, but..."

I didn't get to finish my sentence since I felt Brandon's arms around my waist and a kiss on my cheek. At the same time, I saw a flash. Mason with his camera phone, of course.

"I thought you weren't gonna be able to make it." I asked as I turned around to kiss him.

"I lied. I wanted to surprise you. Are you mad?"

"Of course not! I'm elated that you're here!" I practically squealed.

He smiled and kissed me again. I wrapped my arms around his torso and hugged him.

"You two are so adorable."

I smiled and buried my face into his chest. He was so warm and cozy and I did not want to move from this spot, but I had to; I had a job to do.

"Sash, we need to go." Mase said, touching my shoulder.

"No." I groaned, burying my face further into his chest.

Brandon laughed.

"Ok. Let's go."

"I'll be in the audience. I don't wanna distract you."

"Alright. I'll see you in a few hours."

"See you in a few hours and we'll head out to get a bite to eat or something?"

"Sounds good."

And with another kiss, he went from backstage and into the audience. What else I loved about him coming every night that he can, it didn't matter what was playing, he was there for me. If that's not love, I don't know what is. I then took a glance into the audience like I do before every performance and saw Luke in the audience.

Luke?

What the fuck is he doing out there?

"Ready to work?"

"Absolutely. Let's get going."

Not that I don't enjoy my job, but the fact that Brandon's out there, it's occasionally hard to focus, but now you add my abusive ex and that's a bad combination. I hope they don't see each other because I can't handle a confrontation and him calling me a whore and a liar. Once the show started, I relaxed and got something to drink; I sat down and took a breath before I heard my bestie walk into the room.

"Hey, girl."

"Hey."

"What's up? You look like you have something on your mind."

"I saw him out there."

"Luke?"

I nodded.

"So?"

"So? So?! What if he gets into some type of confrontation with Brandon? You know what he'll say and what he'll probably do."

My heart was racing as I was become panicky and slightly hysterical.

"I love you, sweetie, but you're overreacting. Quite honestly, how likely is that to happen?"

I shrugged.

"Don't worry about it. Please?"

"Ok."

"That's my girl." he said, giving me a well-needed hug.

"Sasha?" I heard from the hall.

I was needed, so I walked out and listened to what I was needed for as well as do what Mason asked for me to do. Roughly two-and-a-half hours later, the show was over and I helped to finish up while my honey waited for me backstage. When I was finished and had spoken to Mase one last time, I dashed over to Brandon who was there with open arms.

"That was a great show."

"You say that after every show."

"Well, it's true."

I smiled before taking a deep breath.

"Brandon?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you see Luke out there? Because I certainly did."

"I did and nothing happened."

I took a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness. I was freaking out about it."

He smiled at me before kissing me.

"Ok. Are you hungry?"

"Starving. Diner?"

"Diner, it is."

I was craving cheese fries and a chocolate malt like a fiend, so I was hoping that he wouldn't think I'm a hog when I get my food. We walked into a semi-busy diner and were seated quickly.

"This is so nice. I was on my feet for so long today and I'm here with one of my favorite people... well, favorite person, no offense to Mason." I said laughing.

He laughed as well.

"It is. After a wonderful show, I'm here with my favorite person."

I couldn't stop smiling.

"So, how was your day? You pretty much already know how mine was."

"Other than practice? Very uneventful. Glad my night is going well."

"You know, although I love my job, I'm relieved that for the night, it's done. Do you ever feel that way when it comes to hockey?"

"After practice sometimes and overtime games, for sure."

"Good to know that someone else who loves his job feels that way."

When our food came, I looked up to see Luke come into the diner with a woman. Where'd she come from? She wasn't at the fucking theatre with him.

Are you freaking kidding me?

"What's wrong?" he asked, noticing the look on my face.

"He's here."

He looked discretely in his direction, then scoffed.

"I can't believe this." I said with my head in my hands.

I was on the verge of tears.

"What can't you believe?"

"What do you think? I thought I was fine. I haven't seen this waste of space in two months and have been fine and my self-esteem was at all-time high. Now, here he is unintentionally hurting me and I'm a fucking mess. A fucking mess, Brandon!"

"Could you calm down?" I heard from another booth.

"Go fuck yourself."

"Sasha, it's okay." he said, taking my hands.

Tears began to run down my face.

"Can we go? I'm sorry. I just can't."

"Of course. I'll get to go boxes and pay. Alright?"

I nodded.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you, too."

Less than five minutes later, we were out the door and I started to get myself back together. I sat in his car and looked into my mirror while he started it. My eyes were red and puffy and my mascara was running.

How embarrassing.

I reached into my purse for my tissues, since I was in dire need of them. While I was wiping my eyes, Brandon spoke to me.

"Sasha?"

I didn't look at him; I just continued to fix myself up.

"Yeah?"

"This is probably a stupid question, but are you feeling any better?"

"It's not stupid. A little bit. I just need to be with you for tonight. You okay with that?"

"Absolutely."

After we got to his house, I took my shoes off and sat on his couch.

"Want me to microwave your food?" he asked from the kitchen.

"Would you mind?"

"Not at all."

"Thank you."

A minute later, I had my food and about that amount of time later, he had his.

"You're the best. You know that?" I asked before I took a bite out of my burger.

"I'm not."

"In my eyes, you are."

He smiled.

"You're the best actually."

I blushed and turned back to my food.

"This is delicious. Wanna bite?" I asked, offering a bite of my burger.

"Sure."

I passed it over and he took a bite.

"Good?"

"Great. Wanna bite of mine?"

"Sure."

He had gotten a buffalo chicken sandwich.

"Delicious."

In the midst of me eating my messy fries, I heard Brandon laugh.

"What's so funny?" I said, turning to him.

"You gotta little cheese on your right cheek... and in your hair."

"Seriously?"

He nodded. I reached for a napkin and wiped my face and hair.

"Better?"

"Better."

Ten minutes later, I was full and leaning against Brandon; I was exhausted.

"Are you tired?"

I only made a noise as a response.

"Is that a yes?"

"Mmhmm."

He picked me up and carried me into his room where he laid me gently on his bed.

"Thank you." I said, resting my head onto the pillow.

"Anytime, beautiful."

He smiled and kissed my cheek.

What did I do to ever deserve a man of this magnitude who couldn't be more a gracious, sweet, romantic and selfless human being?

"Let me know if you want something to change into. Ok?"

He walked out of the room to get our phones, I'm assuming. He didn't just come back with our phones, but also a glass of water; I sat up at this point.

"Here's a glass of water, my lady." he said, bowing.

This caused me to laugh. I thanked him and then asked for something to change into. Once I changed, I crawled back onto the bed and waited for Prince Charming to change and join me.

"Hey." he said, facing me.

"Hey. I uh... know that tonight didn't exactly go the way I wanted it to, but overall it was a fairly decent evening and I'm glad that you were with me when I was clearly upset and when I was completely and utterly happy like I am right now."

He pulled me close and kissed me.

"I'm glad that I got to be with you tonight despite whatshisname unknowingly trying to hurt you, but ever more so, now that you're happy."

And with that, I fell asleep in seconds satisfied with the end of my night and the one man in the world who I would do anything for and how I wouldn't know what I'd without him.