Status: Active! :)

Keep on Going

Would it be cliche if...?

Kacey stood there dumbfounded as she stared at the closed door behind Kennedy. She looked over at the clock by the door and saw that it was almost six. Taking a couple of deep breaths, she moved away from the door and began pacing the living room in order to calm herself down and figure out her feelings for Kennedy. Surely he wasn’t starting to develop any feelings for her, right? Though after the day the two had spent together, she was starting to believe otherwise.

There was a knock on the front door, making her lose her train of thought as she quickly made her way over to the door. She looked through the peephole and saw Ben standing on the other side with a single flower that she couldn’t identify.

She opened the door to a smiling Ben. He leaned forward giving her a small peck on her cheek as she greeted him at the door. “This, m’lady, is for you,” he presented the flower to her.

“This is gorgeous Ben! I’ve seen these before, but have never known what they were called. I love these!”

His smile widened. “This is an Arizona Lupine. A gorgeous flower for a gorgeous girl,” he winked.

She blushed at his compliment as she welcomed him in. She went to the kitchen to find a vase to put her flower in. “So Ben, what’s on the agenda for tonight?”

“Well,” he started as he made his way to the kitchen, “would it be cliche to take you to dinner and a movie for a first date?” he asked.

Kacey chuckled a bit, “I suppose, but that’s fine with me.”

“That’s what I figured,” he mused, “which is why we aren’t going to dinner and a movie.”

She looked up at him from setting the vase on the center of the kitchen table. “We’re not?”

He chuckled, “No! Why would I take a girl like you on something as ‘typical’ as dinner and a movie?”

She stood there speechless, not knowing how to respond.

“However, I must admit, my initial plans for the evening won’t be accommodating for your lovely dress,” he mused.

“I mean, I can go change,” she mumbled as she made her way out of the kitchen.

Ben gently caught her by the arm as she passed him. “And let me miss this opportunity to enjoy your company in such an outfit? No way. I have a backup plan. We’ll save tonight’s plans for next time,” he smiled.

“Y-you have a backup plan?”

“Of course! I didn’t want to risk screwing this up,” he chuckled. “C’mon, and make sure to grab your dancing shoes because we’re gonna paint the town red tonight.”

“Ok, let me just put on my shoes. I’ll be right back.”

Kacey made her way to her room, her heart beating out of her chest. She didn’t understand why she was so nervous suddenly. Ben was a sweet guy and seemed to be so easy going. She honestly had nothing to worry about, however that only made her more nervous. She spotted the desired shoes at the back of her closet. Her shoes from dance class all those years ago were finally making a reappearance. She just hoped her feet hadn’t grown since then. The shoes fit comfortably. With a sigh of relief, she quickly sprayed on a splash of perfume on before rejoining Ben in the living room.

“Ready to go?” he asked with a grin.

Kacey nodded enthusiastically.

Ben offered his elbow, much like Kennedy had the night before. Kacey couldn’t help but draw the comparison before shaking it off and taking his arm. He led her downstairs and opened the door for her. “Your chariot m’lady.”

She giggled at his words as she climbed in the car. He got in on the driver’s side and turned the car on. Sounds of classical music filled the car and she looked at him with a quirked eyebrow. “Classical? Really?” she said with a breathy laugh.

He looked at her sheepishly, “It keeps me calm when I drive. Helps me clear my head.”

She smiled back, “I think that’s adorable.”

He laughed, “Well thanks.”

They drove the rest of the way in silence. Kacey was taking in the look of the city passing by her window. She found herself looking at Ben on occasion as he drove. She couldn’t stop the grin spreading across her face as she watched him drive. The sun was starting to set so the light was casting this heavenly golden glow on him. His bright blue eyes catching the rays of the sun and shining even more brilliantly than before. He was softly humming along to whatever orchestral piece was playing. Classical music wasn’t her thing and she would much rather jam out to the radio, however she was more than content observing Ben interacting with his music.

“We’re here!” he chimed as he turned off the car and turned towards Kacey. He got out of the car and once again opened her door. “Shall we?” he asked with a grin and slight eyebrow raise.

“Why thank you my good sir,” she said with a smile as she took his hand as he helped her out of the car. “Where are we headed?”

“Well, I used to come over here on weekdays back in highschool and help teach dance lessons to the elderly.”

Kacey could’ve melted on the pavement right there.

“I just thought we could go dancing. On weekends, they have salsa nights open to the public and I thought we could give it a shot.”

“That sounds like fun! I haven’t danced in forever.”

“Woah, you danced?”

Kacey chuckled, “I did all growing up actually. Jazz and Tap mostly.”

“So you must be pretty coordinated huh?” he smiled, quite impressed with her dancing history.

With a nervous chuckle she replied, “Uh, you could say that.” She only hoped her clumsiness didn’t kick in tonight. It was the reason she stopped doing ballet and why she was eventually asked to stop dancing at the studio. She was only allowed to continue there because she had danced there for so long. However as soon as she finished high school, she was politely asked to leave. That’s when she knew dancing wouldn’t be her future career and sought other options that would utilize her unique skill set.

“This is us,” he claimed as they stopped in front of the small building. “Ready to go?”

With a nod, she clasped his hand tighter as he led them inside. She looked around and saw myriads of couples scattered around the room, and worried about embarrassing herself not only in front of Ben, but in front of these strangers as well. She worried her bottom lip with her teeth as she looked around the room.

Ben looked down at her and noticed her nerves. “Hey now, there’s no need to be nervous.”

“But what if I fall on my face?”

“Then I’ll be here to catch you to make sure that never happens.”

She gazed into his crystal blue eyes and could see the truth behind them. She nodded her head nervously as he led her onto the dance floor.

“Alright everyone, we’re about to begin. I’m Senora Rita and this is my husband Senor Luis. We will be your instructors for the night,” she spoke in her thick Puerto Rican accent.

“Don’t worry if this is your first time salsa dancing,” Senior Luis replied. “We will be at the front showing basic salsa moves and teaching them to all first-timers. Once you feel comfortable enough, feel free to join the rest of the group on the main dance floor. Bailamos!”

The upbeat salsa music filled the room as couples of various dancing ability began to dance. Kacey looked to Ben nervously as he smiled. “Alright, I may be a bit rusty on my salsa, but I’ll teach ya everything I know alright? Just follow my lead,” he winked.

Ben placed his right hand on Kacey’s back, and grabbed her right hand in his left. As Kacey placed her left arm on his shoulder, he began to instruct. “Alright, just follow my lead. I’ll keep it simple until you feel more comfortable alright?”

“Ok, just don’t make fun of me if I mess up.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it. Ok, so I’ll step forward with my left foot as you step back with your right.” He began to do so as he spoke, Kacey following his lead. “Good, alright, now I’ll step back with my left foot momentarily, before taking a step back with my right foot, while you follow with your left.” She once again kept up with his steps, but was hesitant to do so. “Great, now let’s put that together.” He repeated the steps before continuing. “You feel comfortable with that?”

“Uh, yeah actually. What’s next?”

“Now we do the same only with the other foot.” They slowly put the two steps together. “Feel comfortable enough to try and do it in time with the music?”

“Yeah, let’s try it,” she smiled.

They stood in place going over the steps. Kacey was starting to get back in the groove of dancing and quickly realized how much she missed it. As long as she had Ben there to help her keep her balance, she would be alright.

“Ready to take it to the dance floor?”

“Let’s do it,” Kacey smiled with a sparkle in her eyes.

Ben led her out on the dance floor before they started moving in time with the music. As she felt more comfortable with the steps, she found herself becoming more adventurous with her moves. She quickly fell back into her dance habits that had long since been abandoned and was able to sway and move her hips as if she’d been salsa dancing for years.

Once Ben noticed her enthusiasm, he spoke up, “Since you seem to be getting the hang of this, I’m gonna try and spin you now alright?”

Kacey smiled and prepared herself for the spin. It wasn’t quite in time and she nearly fell over, but Ben’s steady hands kept her from falling.

“Told ya I wouldn’t let you fall,” he chuckled.

The two danced for the rest of the night, not even realizing that the other couples had long since left. It wasn’t until the music cut off that they realized they were the only ones left save for the instructors.

“Whew, you young folks just about out-danced us! Nice to see you again Ben,” Senora Rita said as she took a sip of water.

“Always a pleasure Lovely Rita,” he smiled with a wink.

“I forgot I have to keep an eye on you mister. My wife always claims that if she were thirty years younger she would run away with you,” Senor Luis teased.

“You know I would never let that happen. She’s far too good to me,” he winked with a smile again.

The couple laughed. “Well, thank you for not stealing my wife. I appreciate it. You should come back and make sure to bring tu chica bonita with you as well.” Senor Luis commented.

“Will do sir. As always, it was great to see you again and I’ll make sure not to be a stranger.” He then waved goodbye to the couple as they made their way outside.

“They really do love you huh?” Kacey spoke as they strolled along the sidewalk.

Ben smiled as they continued to walk. “Yeah I guess so,” he chuckled. “I used to come in there everyday after school and help them teach dance. I came occasionally during college, but i got harder as my schooling became more difficult. Then I got a job, and I honestly haven’t been back in a couple years. I didn’t realize how much I missed it,” he laughed lightheartedly.

“I understand. I haven’t danced, at least like this, since high school. I’ve missed dancing.”

“So I take it you enjoyed the night then?” he asked hesitantly.

“Of course! It was a very non-cliche first date,” she giggled. “Maybe cliche second or third date…” she teased.

He playfully nudged her shoulder with his own as they continued walking. “Well, to keep with our ‘non-cliche’ date night, I’m going to take you to the only joint that’s open this time of night and happens to be my favorite.”

“And where would that place be?”

“Right here.” He stopped them in front of a run-down barbecue joint wedged between a couple of condemned shops.

“Are you sure this place is open?” Kacey asked skeptically. “Much less, sanitary?”

“Of course! I eat here all the time. Best hidden gem in the southwest.” He led her inside the run down building. “Here, let me get the door for you. There’s a trick to opening it as the handles fall off and if the wind blows right, the door will fall off the hinges.” He propped the door open enough to let her inside before taking her hand and leading her to a small booth at the back.

Kacey sat down as she took in the disheveled wallpaper peeling off the walls. There were various picture frames of different sizes and style hung up. None of them were hung straight; the weird angle looking almost intentional. Each of the lamps suspended above each table were different. Nothing about the interior of this restaurant looked cohesive, yet it added to the quirky charm of the establishment.

Ben noticed her looking around and quickly realized he should’ve asked her if she wanted to eat here before dragging her in there. He felt embarrassed as he took in her elegant appearance and compared it to their dingy surroundings. “Shit, Kacey I’m sorry. We uh, we don’t have to eat here if you don’t want. I should’ve asked first if you wanted barbecue before just dragging you here. I just, I felt so comfortable around you, and the night was going so well, and I just thought you should come here as well.”

Kacey smiled as his nervousness as he stumbled over himself trying to apologize. She reached her hand across the table, grasping one of his hands in her own. “It’s alright Ben. The place has character. Maybe not my first choice initially, but it’s growing on me.”

“Really? Because I don’t mind taking you somewhere else.”

“Seriously, it’s alright. What’s good here?” she asked as she looked around for a menu.

“Just about anything. What’re you looking for?”

“The menu…”

He laughed, “They uh, don’t have one.”

“Then how do you know what they have and what’s good?”

“Two answers. The first one being that they make whatever you could possibly want in the realms of barbecue. The other is, only those that are regulars actually know what they make.”

“But I thought you said they make whatever you order?”

“They do...if they actually make it.”

“So what if you order something they don’t make?”

“They’ll make you something instead that they actually serve and pass it off as what you ordered.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, why?” he said trying to stifle a laugh.

“It’s just so…”

“Unique?”

“Well, I was going for odd but that works too. Well, since you know what they make and what’s good, why don’t you order? Tonight’s been a success thus far so I trust your judgement.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere,” he winked as he got out of the booth.

She watched him as he made his way up to the counter on the other side of the room. He came back a couple minutes later with two cups of water in hand. The two sipped on their water until their food came. She was surprised at how massive the platter of barbecue was that was put on the table. Ben assured her that it was only one serving that they were sharing. She unrolled her silverware and began attacking her side of the plate with her fork and knife.

Ben looked at her sort of strangely as she continued to cut her strips of barbecue into small bite size pieces with her knife and fork. He had an idea that she may have been a bit girly or at least prim and proper to some extent. However what he was witnessing was beyond description. He’d never seen anyone eat barbecue so elegantly. She looked so dainty and fragile as she nibbled on her food and took small sips of her water. He sat there in amazement as he watched her eat.

“You’re something else Kacey,” he chuckled.

Her face turned red as she wondered what brought that comment on. “Uh, thanks? I think?”

“It’s a compliment. Take it as one,” he winked.

Her face turned even more red as she turned her head to the side. The discomfort caused by his words making it hard for her to keep eye contact.

The pair continued eating, occasionally engaging in small talk. Kacey had thoroughly enjoyed their time together thus far and was sad to see the night coming to an end. They walked hand in hand back to his car. He sometimes swung their interlocked hands back and forth as they walked.

The drive back was silent. Kacey didn’t mind as her exhaustion from the night was settling in. She lazily laid her head against the window as they drove; the classical music and lights flashing by slowly putting her to sleep.

She was woken up by Ben gently shaking her arm. “Hey Kacey, we’re back.”

She nodded and slowly sat up as she tried to fix her hair, hoping she didn’t look like a train wreck. Ben opened up her door and helped her out of the car. “Here, I’ll walk you to your door.”

She gave a tight smile as she nodded and stumbled to the door. Lucky for her, Ben had an arm wrapped around her waist, helping to keep her stable as she walked to the door. She had fallen in a deep sleep on the car ride home so her mind was still foggy as she made her way up the stairs. She found herself putting much of her weight on Ben as they walked.

Once he reached her front door he released her from his grasp. “Think you can make it inside?” he teased.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said over a yawn. “God, I’m sorry. I promise your company wasn’t boring. I really did have a great time tonight and my lack of dancing in the past few years put my body in shock. So that’s why I’m so tired. I really did have fun and--”

Ben cut her off by placing a small kiss on her cheek. He back up enough to where their faces were only inches apart. “I uh, figured a kiss on the first date was a bit cliche. However I couldn’t help myself. I settled for a kiss on the cheek instead. I just...I don’t want anything I do with you to be cliche. You’re too special to have cliche things wasted on. You deserve the best.”

“But...you barely know me. How could you possibly know that?” she whispered. His face was close enough she could feel his breath hitting her face.

“Intuition,” he smirked. “I’ll see you soon.” He pressed another kiss to her cheek before he made his way downstairs. She unlocked her door and stood on the other side. The grin on her face hurting her cheeks. Thoughts of Kennedy no longer consuming her mind as she could only focus on her new prince charming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another update for you lovely readers :)

Replies:
princewentz: Well....don't kill me buuuuuut here's more Ben being a gentleman....

brighten.: Thank you for your kind words :) We're glad you're loving the story!

mmmxalright: boys are dumb. haha. (sometimes though...haha)

recycledsweaters: I'M SORRY BUT BEN IS HERE. GETTING SHIT TOGETHER MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN. guess you'll just have to stick around and find out ;)

megsyxyo3: Thank you so much!!! We can't quite update that frequently, but it is updated every Monday so keep checking back :)

lovelyhope: hahahahaha "you're in time out"...I laughed really hard at that. I like that. :)

WhiskeyPrincess118: remember? he doesn't do relationships...how would the poor guy know the do's/don'ts? ;) also, yes, for the record, I'm TOTALLY on board with inserting #touchthebutt into the story...actually, I wouldn't be opposed to even naming a chapter after it. just sayin