Status: Active! :)

Keep on Going

When the going gets tough.

"You realize it was one date right?" Abby asked as she stood with the still love struck girl in line at the coffee shop they always went to.

"I know, but he's like...so, perfect." She said with a grin and Abby rolled her eyes.

"For now anyways. Just like Kennedy was until he told you he didn't believe in love."

A frown lined Kacey's lips, "Hey, they are not the same."

"Right, well keep in mind you barely know him so try not to begin planning the wedding until at least you have another date."

Kacey glared at her friend before placing her coffee order. She was just happy for once, and had hope that he would be the person she was looking for. What was so wrong with that?

"It's my lucky day." Kacey heard and spun around after she received her drink.

She groaned once her eyes met John of all people. The long haired boy smiled at her before speaking, "Are you alone here?"

"No, Abby's ordering."

"Ah well, sorry I didn't bring Ken." He mused and she rolled her eyes as she moved by him to an empty table. He didn't waste time sitting across from her and she looked up at him boringly.

"So what's up with you and Ben?"

She looked at him quizzically, "How did you know?"

"Kennedy told me."

"He did?"

John scoffed, "Well, he wasn't very happy about it so he had to vent I assume."

"What do you mean?" She asked with a confused look on her face that caused John to laugh and shake his head, "Nothing."

She stared at John in thought as Abby sat beside Kacey.

"Did you already make her mad?" Abby asked John as she glanced at Kacey who was sipping on her coffee.

John laughed, "No."

"So are you here alone?" Abby asked him and he shook his head no.

"Well, Garrett's meeting me here."

"And Kennedy..." She added and John and Kacey immediately looked over to see the two walking in.

Kacey hated that her heart still raced at the sight of him. She was hoping spending more time would Ben would eventually end that.

John chuckled causing Kacey to roll her eyes as the others approached.

"Well, well who do we have here?" Garrett asked with a smile.

"John not just saying hey and moving on." Kacey grumbled and Kennedy chuckled, "That would never happen just so you know."

She smiled up at Kennedy and the pair pulled up chairs to the table.

"So how was your date?" Garrett asked and a groan escaped Kacey's lips, "Really Ken?!"

"It wasn't me! I mean, Ben is at every one of our parties, do you think he doesn't talk to anyone?!" Kennedy defended causing Abby to laugh.

"No."

Kennedy rolled his eyes, "Right, so you're delusional now too, huh? Cute."

She shoved his shoulder lightly and Garrett laughed, "Well?"

"It went good."

"Oh yeah. It was magical." Abby chimed in and Kacey shot her a look.

"I hope she didn't say that..." John mumbled and Kacey had to chime in, "No, I didn't say that!"

"You might as well have."

Kacey groaned and Kennedy chuckled from beside her, "Ok, enough of picking on Kacey."

"It's not picking on her if it's the truth."

Kacey rolled her eyes once more and John spoke, "So you like him?"

"Yeah." She mumbled and Kennedy looked at her. He didn't know why he hated to hear that. Sure, he knew Ben was a good guy and in reality he couldn't pick a better guy for her to be with, but for some reason that didn't settle well with him.

Kacey's phone buzzed fortunately so she didn't have to be faced with Kennedy's stare and a grin immediately hit her lips realizing it was a text from Ben.

Ben: Can I see you today or is it too soon?...

She respond with a smile she didn't know she had until John spoke up.

"So that must be him. Wow, Abby's right. It's slightly disgusting."

"Ok, I'm leaving." She replied moving from her seat.

"To meet Ben?" Garrett asked with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

"Um, I drove so..." Her friend said and Kennedy immediately spoke up, "I'll take you home, how about that?"

She looked over at him and simply nodded, "Thanks."

Abby gave her a look which she ignored and she patted Garrett's head as she passed where he sat.

"Goodbye to you too!" John shouted and she held up her hand before following Kennedy outside. The walk to his car was quiet and for some reason it made her on edge. She breathed in before climbing into his car and once they drove off he spoke.

"But for real, the date went well?" He asked and she nodded, "Yeah. He's really sweet."

Kennedy nodded, his fingers digging into the steering wheel as she spoke.

"So you like him?"

"Yeah, I do." She whispered out and he nodded once more, "That's good. I'm happy for you."

She looked over at him as he stared at the road ahead. For some reason she wished he would have hated the whole ordeal and since he didn't, it seemed to disappoint her and she wasn't sure why.

"Does this mean you're going to stop hanging out with me?" He asked with a forced smile, now trying to end the tension that had somehow taken over.

"What? Of course not." She replied, a bit shocked that he would think that. As much as she wanted her feelings for him to go away she couldn't imagine staying away from him and she wasn't sure if she wanted to now. It was always easier for her to say she wanted to when she wasn't around him.

"Good because um, well that would suck." He said with a nervous laugh. He wasn't sure why exactly he thought he sounded stupid for saying that, but then again, he never told a girl that he would like to keep hanging out with her and as simple as it was it nerved him.

A chuckle left Kacey's lips as she looked back out the window.

"Don't worry. You're not going to get rid of me that easily, Kennedy."

He didn't bother to respond and thankfully he didn't have to because they pulled up at her building.

"I would walk you up, but it seems like your boyfriend is here waiting on you." He stated a she noticed the car beside him.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and looked over at him. For some reason she knew Ben was waiting on her but a part of her wanted to stay here with him. She liked how easy it was to be around him.

"Can we hang out tomorrow?" She found herself asking and he grinned, "I don't know, will boyfriend be ok with that?"

Kacey rolled her eyes, "He's not my boyfriend. So yes or no?"

"If you want to hang out, we can hang out. I was planning to go hiking in the morning, but I can't do that with you so..." He teased and she glared at him causing him to laugh.

"Never mind. I don't want to hang out anymore." She groaned before hopping from the car.

He laughed loudly and jumped out to catch her before she made it too far. He grabbed her arm once he was close enough. She spun around to face him and a grin hit his lips, "So what time should I pick you up tomorrow?"

"Whenever I assume." She replied trying to fight the feelings now consuming her as his hand rested on her arm.

He flashed a smile causing her to give up on controlling the butterflies.

"Alright, so, I'll be here say noon?"

She nodded, "Sure."

"Great. Can't wait. Tell Ben I said hello." He spoke softly as he gave her a hand a squeeze before backing away from her.

"Ok. Be careful." She got out and he chuckled, "Always am, Claire. Always am." He replied with a wink before spinning around and heading to the car.

She breathed in trying to control herself before she walked to her apartment. Of course like already guessed Ben was leaning against the door, a single flower in his hand. Once he noticed her he stood up straight and a smile hit her lips, "Well hello."

"Hi, so, I hope this isn't creepy, but when you told me you were on your way here I was literally a few streets over and thought, why not?"

Kacey laughed, "It's not creepy. It's sweet." She responded taking the flower from him and kissing his cheek.

"Thank you."

Ben grinned at her before she began to unlock the door.

"You want to come in or stand outside all day?" She joked once she stepped inside and he chuckled, "I assume so."

She smiled at him as he walked in and she watched him as he carefully sat on the couch. Ben could make her stop having feelings for Kennedy. She was certain of it. Unfortunately, It was just getting Kennedy out of her head which seemed to be the main problem she had. Especially every time she had to be around him it seemed like he sucked her back in. From here on out she had to at least try harder or it would never end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting WhiskeyPrincess118, crossed out name., mmmxalright, and lovelyhope :)