Status: Active! :)

Keep on Going

John Bender

Kacey was sprawled out on the living room couch, sifting through Netflix. It was another Friday night in, and her ankle was still a little sore almost a week later. Walking on it wasn’t quite the chore it had been a few days ago, but that didn’t mean that she wasn’t going to milk it for as long as possible. She was in the midst of looking through the RomCom section when she heard Abby calling for her from the other end of the apartment.

“What’s up Abs?” she yelled in response.

“Help me choose an outfit. I can’t find anything to wear!”

With a chuckle, Kacey set the remote down and hobbled towards the other end of the apartment towards Abby’s room. She walked into a trainwreck of a room. “Abby? What happened?”

Abby looked up at Kacey amongst the mountain of clothes on the floor. “I need help finding something to wear. I need your expertise,” she sighed in desperation and exasperation.

Kacey made her way to the bed, pushing over a pile of clothes as she sat on the end. “Alright, what’s the occasion? Hot date tonight?” she asked with a wink.

“Psh, not really. Ashley, one of the girls I train, invited me to her party. It’s a small thing, just friends of her boyfriend. She said I could bring someone, so you should come! Get you out of your weekly Friday night RomCom marathon…” she trailed off.

Kacey rolled her eyes. “Oh come on. I’m not that predictable.”

“Look me in the eyes and tell me you weren’t just in the living room, curled up on the couch, flipping through Netflix for RomComs to watch…”

Kacey sat there hesitant momentarily. “Ugh fine. But in my defense, you pick up on my habits because we live together.”

“No, I pick up on your habits because they’re habits. C’mon Kace, you need to get out of this rut you’re in. Who knows? Your prince charming may be at the party tonight.”

“Why are you so insistent suddenly about me getting out of the house and finding my soul mate?”

Abby sighed, “I just don’t want you to end up alone with nothing but shelves of romantic novels and movies. You deserve to find a guy that loves you and if that means I have to go all ‘personal trainer’ on your ass to do it, then I will.”

As annoyed as Kacey could get towards Abby’s intrusion into her personal life, she knew it was with good intentions. Hearing what Abby had to say about it made her slightly more willing to go to the party. “Alright. I’ll help you find an outfit and then go get ready. What time does it start and where is it? This isn’t some set up to get me to go hiking again is it?” she asked skeptically.

“Definitely not,” Abby chuckled. “Ashley gave me the address and it’s at some house actually not too far from here. She said it started at 8:30, but not to worry about showing up right then. Apparently they’re all notorious for their shindigs lasting into the wee hours of the morning.”

“Hmmm. Ok. Well, let’s find you an outfit so you can clean this train wreck up while I get ready. I can tell you’re itching to clean this mess up,” Kacey chuckled.

“God you know me so well,” she laughed.

Kacey helped Abby find a suitable outfit for the night and left her to finish getting ready. She walked over to her closet and began shuffling through her various outfits. She wasn’t sure what she should wear and how casual it would be. Based on what Abby had told her, it would be fairly casual. Unfortunately for Kacey, she didn’t really own many “casual” clothes. She finally settled on wearing a white off-the-shoulder crop top with a maxi skirt and gladiator sandals.

She opened the cabinet under the bathroom sink to get her straightener out and warming up while she did her makeup. She opted for a more “natural” look despite the night hours they would be out. She figured she would end up drinking and didn’t want to wake up the next morning with her makeup smeared all over her face and sheets because of coming in too drunk and tired to wash her face. She straightened her hair and then lightly curled the top layer of her hair just to add a bit of body. She turned her straightener off and made her way to Abby’s room to get her so they could leave.

Abby drove them to the address given and parked on the side of the street outside the house. They both looked out the passenger window at the house and all of the cars parked around.

“I thought you said it was a small get-together…” Kacey stated.

“I did...I mean, that’s what Ashley told me.”

“I’d hate to see a large party,” Kacey muttered.

“Oh come on, it’s not gonna be that bad. Let’s go on in.”

With a sigh, and much reluctance, Kacey gets out of the car and follows Abby towards the front door. They could hear the music blaring from inside the house and voices coming from the backyard.

“Sounds like quite the rager…” Kacey mused.

With a scoff, Abby ignored her comment as they stepped onto the small porch. “I wonder if we should knock or just go in…What do you think?”

“I think we should go home so I can watch 27 Dresses. It’s James Marsden week. Gotta have my fill.”

“Oh c’mon Kace, you can’t be serious.”

“What? He’s attractive, he can sing…”

“So can Steven Tyler but you don’t see me knocking down his door begging to see his face.”

Kacey scoffed, “Ok, first of all, I’m glad I don’t share the same taste in men as you do. Secondly, I could deal without your sarcasm…” she quipped.

“Yeah, and I could deal without your insistence on staying home. So, should I go in or open the door?”

Kacey rolled her eyes and turned the knob, pushing the door open as she remained standing on the front porch with her arms crossed. “Well, the door’s open now. Your party awaits you.”

Abby laughed as she walked across the threshold, Kacey trailing behind her. Kacey instantly tries to become a wallflower just inside the door. Abby walked a few steps before noticing Kacey wasn’t following. She turned and literally dragged Kacey through the crowd. She was determined to make sure Kacey had a good time tonight.

She stood on her tiptoes and began scanning the crowd to find Ashley. She spotted her talking to a couple other girls on the other side of the crowded room. Keeping a firm grip on Kacey’s wrist, she dragged her through the crowd until they met up with Ashley.

“Abby! Hi! I’m so glad you could make it. Is this your roommate?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah, thanks. This is Kacey. Kacey, Ashley.”

Kacey nodded with a forced half smile. She wasn’t really in the mood to socialize at the moment, preferring the solitude of her room.

“Hey Kacey, it’s nice to meet you. Abby, Kacey, these are my friends Tessa and Falyn and my twin sister Melissa.”

The three girls smiled and waved to the other two. Abby greeted them enthusiastically. Kacey just stood there unamused. She had only been standing there a few minutes before realizing she would need alcohol to help her get through this night. She quietly excused herself from the conversation and went on the hunt to find alcohol. At this point, she didn’t care what she found, but she was desperate. She spotted the counter filled with various soft drinks and handles of liquor sitting on the counter.

“Thank god,” she muttered as she grabbed the infamous red Solo cup from a stack on the counter and began mixing her drink. She turned to head back when a towering figure ran into her, causing both hers and his drink to spill down the front of her once white crop-top. “Shit-fuck! This fucking shirt is now ruined. God, I’m never going to get these fucking stains out now. God-dammit!” She looked up from her ruined shirt to see a guy smirking at her.

“Wow, such obscene words from such a pristine girl,” he chuckled.

“First of all, I’m not pristine. Second of all did you just quote Breakfast Club on me you Bender-wannabe?”

He stared at her incredulously. “I must say, I’ve never been accused of being a John Bender wannabe, but I must say I’m quite flattered. I’m John,” he smiled as he stuck out his hand to shake hers.

“You’ve got to be shitting me. Your name can’t really be John…”

He laughed, “I swear it is! I’m the fifth actually,” he stated with a smirk.

“A fifth-John? Wow, your family must be so original,” she muttered sarcastically.

“It’s true! But that’s besides the point. Why do you think I’m a ‘Bender-wannabe’?” he asked trying to stifle a chuckle.

“I mean look at you. You’ve got this whole ‘tryin-to-be-a-badass’ look with your layered plaid shirt combo, ripped up jeans, long hair, and combat boots. You can’t honestly tell me you seriously dress like this all the time.”

“Is that so hard to believe?”

“If I had known it was a dress-up party, I would’ve worn a costume. Maybe then my shirt wouldn’t have gotten ruined,” she mused.

“Your shirt is only ruined because you’re clumsy,” said that hauntingly familiar voice from behind her. Kennedy smirked as he went to stand next to John as he joined the conversation.

Kacey felt the blood rush to her cheeks as she wasn’t expecting to see him here. Especially since her clothes were now stained with hers and John’s mixed alcoholic concoctions.

She scoffed at Kennedy’s statement. “I’m not clumsy.”

He chuckled. “Correct me if I’m wrong Princess, but is your shirt covered with your drink?” he directed towards her shirt as he tried to stifle a laugh.

“Yeah okay, but it was this guy,” she pointed towards John, “that caused that. He’s the one that ran into me. Not the other way around. I’m not clumsy,” she defended.

“Riiiight...so how’s that ankle doing?” he smirked over his drink with a wink as he took a sip. His eyes dancing with mischief.

Kacey could only glare at him. She couldn’t believe he was still hung up on that.

“Woah hold the phone. You’re the clumsy-hiking girl?!” John asked incredulously.

She could only groan. Of course he had told all of his friends. She knew she would become their on-going joke now. She was now determined that this was the last time she listened to Abby when it came to her dating life. Because of her, she nearly broke her ankle and was rescued by an attractive guy. She listened to Abby and finally got out of the house, interrupting her weekly RomCom marathon, only to be further teased about her fall from not only said attractive guy, but his friend as well. She wasn’t going to put up with it any longer. She rolled her eyes and quickly walked off towards the backdoor. She was more than thoroughly embarrassed now and was ready to leave.

After a few minutes, she sighs looking down at her empty cup, and decides to go back inside and make another drink. She was even more in need of the alcohol now than before. She looked around, trying to see if she spotted Kennedy or John in hopes of avoiding them. When she saw them on the other side of the room talking, she deemed it safe to return inside. She weaved her way through the crowd and into the kitchen. Once again at the drink counter, she began to fill her cup with coke. She began scouring the counter for the cherry Grey Goose but couldn’t find it. She was almost certain she had seen it sitting on the counter before.

“Looking for this?” The bottle of cherry Grey Goose suddenly appearing in her line of vision from an unknown hand. She turns, following the arm of the man holding the bottle to see who it was. Luck was not on her side as none other than Kennedy was on the other end holding the bottle.

“Uh yeah, thanks,” she muttered. She gently grabbed the bottle from his hand and began pouring it into her cup until it was full. She knew this glass would make her more than wasted as she had always been a lightweight. She didn’t care though as she was wanting to forget as much of this night as she could.

“Look, Kacey was it? I’m sorry if I embarrassed you earlier with John. I find your clumsiness endearing,” he said with a devilish smirk.

“Well as much as I appreciate your sentiments, I’m not clumsy.”

He laughed, “I’ll believe it if we can be in the same place without something dramatic happening to you.”

“What, because spilling a drink is dramatic now?” she questioned.

“With you, yeah. You’re a girly girl,” he chuckled. He then leaned forward to whisper in her ear, “Ya don’t like getting dirty, remember?”

She nervously chuckled. “Right, and what makes me girly and unwilling to get dirty? My nails right?”

“Well...in part…” he trailed off in mock contemplation.

“What else then? I’m dying to know what you think since you seem to have such a firm grasp on the female gender,” she retorted.

“Gosh you’re a spit-fire aren’t ya?” he laughed. “I mean, your nails are what clue me into the whole ‘not getting dirty’ thing. As for the girly girl thing...I mean c’mon. You seriously don’t see it?”

“See what?” she asked exasperated.

“Your outfit. I mean, a dressy top and a skirt? It’s a Friday night party. Where did you think you were going? A weekend in the Hamptons?” he joked.

“What’s so wrong with my outfit? So what if I like to dress up. What’s the big deal?”

“I’m not saying it’s a bad thing Kace, I’m just saying you could’ve worn jeans or something,” he laughed. His facial expression quickly changing when he saw her visual response. “You do own jeans don’t you?” he asked seriously.

She looked up at him meekly, the blush returning to her cheeks. “I may still have a pair from high school stashed somewhere,” she mumbled.

This only caused his laughter to increase, “That’s what I’m saying! You don’t know how to dress casual.”

“But...this is casual,” she defended.

“Yeah, for a first date maybe.”

“Why are you so hung up on this? So what if I’m girly?”

“Ah, so you finally admit it,” he smirked in victory.

She tried to formulate a response but came up short. “Fine, I’m girly. Big deal.”

He placed a hand on her shoulder and leaned towards her a bit, the alcohol starting to course more strongly through his system. “Hey, like I said before, it’s not a bad thing.”

About that time, Kacey heard someone clear their throat from behind her. She turns to find Abby standing there. “Hey uh, I’m sorry to interrupt but we need to head back. I’ve got to get up early to teach a class at the gym in the morning.”

Kacey nodded as she turned back to Kennedy. “Well, I uh, guess that I’m headed out.”

“It’s fine. I’m glad I got to see you again Kacey.” He then directed his gaze towards Abby, “Nice to see you again, too,” he smiled.

Kacey tried to ignore the butterflies in her stomach that erupted from his gap-toothed grin. Something about it was so adorable to her and she wanted nothing more in that moment than to just stare at his smile. However, she knew that wasn’t going to happen. With a small wave she said goodbye to Kennedy and followed Abby out to her car.

The car ride was silent at first, but as soon as they turned off the street the party was on, Abby began in on her incessant questioning. “Okay, wow, what was up with you and Kennedy tonight?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Kacey muttered as she stared out the passenger window. Wishing Abby would drop the topic already, she opted to keep her answers short.

“Really Kace? I saw the two of you flirting,” she squealed.

“You say flirting, I say teasing. We did nothing but talk about how ‘clumsy’ I apparently am as well as me being girly. I don’t see how that’s flirting. It’s definitely teasing.”

“Teasing...flirting...they’re essentially the same thing babe. So did you get his number?”

“What? No.” She was now internally kicking herself for not even letting the idea cross her mind. Around him, she seemed to always be on the defensive and froze up. She wouldn’t even know what she would do if she were to have his number anyway. Probably embarrass herself more she supposed.

“Aww, why not? The two of you obviously have something between you.”

“Yeah, and it’s called oxygen. Seriously Abs, there’s nothing between me and Kennedy. Just air.”

“Thanks Don Lockwood. I’m serious though, you two are so cute together!”

“I seriously don’t know what you see between us, but there’s nothing. I show up somewhere, embarrass myself, he’s around to witness it, and then he teases me about it relentlessly. That’s it.”

“Fine, but can you honestly say you don’t at least find him attractive? Or at least have some semblance of a crush on him…”

“Uh, not really. I mean, he’s sort of attractive I guess, but I don’t know,” she sighed.

“Girl. Denial. You’re swimming in it. Get the water out of your ears and think about this for once. He could be the prince charming you’ve always been looking for.”

Kacey takes her friend’s words and mentally digests them. She couldn’t deny that Kennedy was attractive. She was especially fond of that gap-tooth grin and contagious laugh he had. Basically anything pertaining to his mouth. This led her to thinking about what it would be like to kiss those lips that housed those gap teeth. With that thought, she decided that maybe she did have a slight crush on the man with the gap-toothed grin from the cliffs. Was that such a bad thing?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Chelsea here :) Thanks so much for reading, subscribing, and special shoutout to recycledsweaters for commenting!! (hope you had fun at warped!)

I can't wait to continue to share this story with you guys. I'm so excited to be working with Nicole and I feel like I'll sound like a broken record saying this every update, but it's true. haha.

And ok, let's be real, you can't deny how much this looks like THIS....