Status: Active! :)

Keep on Going

Self Defense

Kacey couldn’t shake the words Kennedy had spoken the other day from her mind. He wasn’t supposed to have this big of an impact in her life. He was only supposed to be some guy that saved her on the hiking trails. Nothing more. She wasn’t supposed to see him after that day and he definitely wasn’t supposed to already be taking up all of her free thoughts and consuming her mind. She felt like some love-struck teenager and what hurt the most is she knew she could never pursue anything more with him.

With every guy she was with there was always that one chink in their armor. She tried not to be so nit-picky, but she couldn’t help it. She was so resolved in her belief that there was one person just for her. She knew he wouldn’t be perfect and would be flawed, but he would be perfect for her. It was both luck and misfortune that she found out Kennedy’s flaw. It was lucky that she found it sooner rather than later, saving her the time of finding out too late he didn’t believe in true love like she did. However it was also unfortunate because she had such high hopes for him.

She brushed those thoughts off as she did something completely out of the norm for her; laced up her tennis shoes as she grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge so she could go for a run. She had never been athletic in her life, but for once, she felt the need to just run. She was in desperate need to physically get away from what she was feeling. She grabbed her phone, plugging her headphones in as she walked down the steps of their apartment and began jogging around the town.

She didn’t know where she was heading, but she just wanted to feel something other than disappointment. She ran until she felt her lungs would give out, and then just pushed herself harder. She didn’t understand why she suddenly felt this need to run out her aggressions, but it felt good and she wondered why she never did it sooner. Abby needed to be told of this new realization Kacey made. Maybe then Abby would back off a bit.

Kacey rounded one of the corners of the sidewalk when she felt a slight pull on the back of her shirt. Her self-defense skills coming into play, she raised up her right arm and turned so her arm was over the arm still attached to her shirt. She had her left hand on the side of his face to push it away from her when she realized it was Kennedy.

She let go, and gently pushed him away from her with a roll of her eyes as she paused her music and pulled her earbuds from her ears. “God, must you always go around surprising me wherever I go?” she asked, still trying to catch her breath.

He was breathing heavily, chuckling a bit at her statement. “Well shit, had I known you were gonna attack me I would’ve let you be.”

She rolled her eyes as she turned to continue walking down the street. Now that she had stopped, she lost all motivation to run. It didn’t help that the guy she was running from was in stride beside her. She had to force herself not to stare at him. His baggy tank top and basketball shorts serving as enough of a distraction as it showed off his muscular arms and legs. “What can I say? Abby pushed me into self-defense classes a couple years ago and I guess the training stuck.”

He laughed, “I can see that. Definitely didn’t expect it out of you, Princess.”

She rolled her eyes, scoffing slightly. “I’m full of surprises Brock. Don’t think you have me pegged for a second.”

“Trust me, I don’t. Not anymore at least,” he grinned cheekily at her.

She had to resist all temptation to give in and stare at his smile. She was more determined than ever that he knew the effect his smile had on her and it slightly flustered her. “So to what do I owe this surprise visit? I was happily on a jog until I was almost attacked. Ya know, I’m starting to stick by my initial suspicion that you’re stalking me.” She opened the cap of her water bottle taking a swig of it before offering the bottle to Kennedy.

He nodded, accepting the bottle and taking a sip before handing it back to her. “I swear, I’m not stalking you. Truth be told, I had no idea you were a runner. Otherwise, I would’ve invited you out on my run this morning,” he chuckled.

“Truth be told, I’m not a runner. This was a first time thing.”

“Ah, so you’re a running virgin huh?” he snickered with a suggestive wiggle of his eyebrows.

She gave him a playful nudge as they continued walking. “Don’t get any ideas,” she said with a mock glare.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” he smirked. “So, it’s,” he pulled his phone out to check the time, “close to lunch. Wanna grab some food? Or are you still on doing your ‘starving model’ thing?” he teased.

“Hey now, I eat thank you. Have you failed to forget that I ate pizza with you the other day? If only you knew how I really ate…”

Truth was, Kennedy didn’t want to let on just how much he hadn’t forgotten that day. That time with her eating pizza had been constantly playing in his mind and he didn’t understand why. Not like he would let her know though. “What, you mean the fact that you’ll actually eat in the company of others or…?” he continued to tease.

“You’re such an ass,” she chuckled.

“Must be part of my charm,” he grinned widely at her.

As annoyed as she tried to be at the guy next to her, his smile was contagious and halted any negative feelings she had towards him. Damn that smile.

“So what culinary delight will you be gracing me with today? Any more greasy food?” she prodded with a smile.

“Possibly. I mean, you need to get some meat on your bones,” he joked.

“Psh, like you’re one to talk. You’re just as rail-thin as I am.”

“Yeah, but I actually exercise. There’s a difference,” he winked.

“God you’re exasperating. You’re just as bad as Abby is.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” he smiled widely. “Also, I feel the need to point out that you’re down one count,” he responded somberly.

She looked at him quizzically, “What do you mean?”

“I mean that your record for non-embarrassing meetings is only one. Your counter is back at zero.”

“And what exactly did I do this time?”

“Seriously? Did you just forget that you almost went black-belt on my ass?” he laughed.

“Can you blame me? It was my self-defense skills coming into play. Not my fault you grabbed my shirt.”

“Yeah, because you weren’t responding to me yelling your name,” he challenged.

“How could I? I had my headphones in.”

“Who in their right mind runs while listening to music?”

“Normal people. C’mon, you’re seriously telling me, a musician no less, that you don’t listen to music when you run?” she asked truly curious now.

“Hell no! Music is for those that are too chicken to face their own thoughts. It’s weakness,” he replied simply.

She wouldn’t let on just how accurate that was for her; at least that day. “That’s not true all the time. Some people just like the beat to run to…”

“Yeah, to drown out the thoughts they’re too scared to face. So what thoughts are haunting you Miss Bland?”

Like she would honestly tell him. “Nothing…” she trailed off. She couldn’t tell him that it was his very presence and feelings towards him that she was running from.

“Mhm, I’m sure,” he chuckled. “Well, you can talk to me about whatever. We’re friends now, so the invite’s open alright?”

She nodded and gave him a tight-lipped smile. It was almost ironic how this twist of fate had come to be.

They continued to walk until his phone began ringing. He stopped momentarily, holding up his hand towards Kacey to hang on while he answered his phone. “Yeah?....Out for a run….I can be there in like 20 minutes….Okay….Yeah dude, see ya shortly.” Kennedy then hung up his phone and replaced it in his pocket. “Hey sorry, that was one of the guys calling about a last minute practice for our show so I’ve gotta run. But hey, are ya still coming? It’s this Friday night.”

She nodded with smile, both relieved and a bit sad that he had to leave so soon.

“Awesome, I’ll text you later with the show details. I’ll even get you to see us side-stage if you’d like,” he grinned with a wink.

She laughed, “Whatever Brock. I’ll see you Friday.”

He laughed and began to walk back towards the direction he came from.

Kacey continued walking in the direction she was headed when she heard him call out her name.

She turned to see him walking backwards as he talked to her. “Make sure you don’t go hiking any cliff trails or go black-belt on anyone before then. I would hate to have any more casualties to deal with,” he said with a smirk.

“Goodbye Kennedy,” she chuckled.

He shook his head, laughing as he turned and began jogging back towards his initial destination.

This boy was going to be the death of her. She shook her head and continued walking, deciding to just head back to her apartment rather than continue her run. Luckily she wasn’t that far away and the walk back was short. She was relieved because the last thing she wanted to do was drown in her thoughts of her interaction with Kennedy.

Kacey jogged up the stairs to hers and Abby’s apartment and unlocked the door, happy to find Abby lounging on the couch.

“Woah, where’ve you been?” Abby stated from her slouched position, now sitting up to take in Kacey’s sweaty appearance.

“Don’t have a heart attack, but I went out for a run.”

“Voluntarily?”

“Ugh, yes. Don’t sound so surprised.”

“I mean, you’ve never showed any interest in being athletic or do any exercise whatsoever in the past, so pardon my unbelief. What spurred this on?”

“Nothing. Just felt like it.”

“It wouldn’t have anything to do with Kennedy would it?”

Kacey scoffed, “Why would you think that?”

“Oh I don’t know. Maybe because I’ve found his name scribbled around various parts of our apartment in your handwriting….complete with little hearts and everything,” Abby said with a knowing smirk.

“Whatever, I just needed to let off some pent up energy. I’m gonna shower.”

Abby waved her off, knowing that Kacey wasn’t open to talking about it at the moment. Kacey always liked to brush off anything having to do with her feelings towards the opposite gender, and Kennedy was no exception. Abby feared Kacey had already found some flaw with Kennedy that dismissed him as potential dating material. She hated that about Kacey; how quick she was to dismiss guys that weren’t up to her unnaturally high standard. She was determined to get those two together when everything was said and done.

Kacey turned the shower on as she stripped from her jogging clothes. She raked her fingers through her sweaty and tangled hair before stepping into the shower. As she stood under the water, she tried to scrub away all of the dirt and grime she had acquired while running as well as wash away her feelings towards Kennedy. She refused to let this boy continue to have such an effect on her.

However, as she stood there, she couldn’t help but let the cogs in her mind continue to turn. Maybe he didn’t believe in true love now, but who’s to say he won’t ever change his mind? She now had a renewed mission to prove to Kennedy that true love did indeed exist. She stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around her frame. She took her arm and cleared the steam off the mirror to take a look at her appearance. She had a smirk on her face and she couldn’t wait to prove him wrong. She had no idea how she would convince him, but it was going to happen one way or the other.

Kacey quickly dried off and dressed in her room before reappearing in the living room and joining Abby on the couch.

Abby looked over at her and saw the smirk adorning her face. “What’s with the grin? What are you up to Bland?”

She turned towards Abby and replied, “Proving true love does exist.”

Abby rolled her eyes as they both resumed watching whatever was on TV.

They hadn’t been sitting there long when Kacey’s phone went off. She looked down to see she had a new text message.

Handsome Guy that saved you: Hey Kace, show is this Fri @ 7. Marquee Theatre. See ya then :)

Abby giggled as she looked at the name Kennedy put as his own. She shook her head, still laughing as she replied to his text.

First of all, nice name. I guess I don’t have to call you Kennedy anymore huh? haha. I’ll see you Friday.

She set her phone back down beside her, but it quickly went off again, signaling another text.

Handsome Guy that saved you: Thought you’d like that. I was hoping it’d be original enough that you would know it was me. There hasn’t been anymore handsome strangers rescuing you have there?

She could almost hear the concern and teasing in his voice.

Sadly no. Guess I’ll have to settle for just you instead. Bummer.

She couldn’t deny she was enjoying this playful banter with Kennedy.

Handsome Guy that saved you: Hey now, I could’ve left you down there to die…

She chuckled at his reply, remembering how he said the other day that he could’ve pushed her off the cliff if he wanted to kill her.

True...but you didn’t which means you obviously want me around. Can’t say I blame you. I’m quite the catch.

Kacey didn’t know where this boost of confidence was coming from, but if it kept her and Kenendy talking in any capacity, she was all for it.

Handsome Guy that saved you: Duh. I wouldn’t be wasting my time with you if I didn’t want your company.

Her cheeks flushed at that comment as she tried to formulate a response. She thought momentarily before typing her reply.

Wish I could say the feeling was mutual, but I’ll stick around to appease you ;) but hey, don’t you have practice? I mean, that’s why you blew me off for lunch…

She set her phone down, now wondering if he really did have band practice or not. She quickly got her answer as her phone went off again.

Handsome Guy that saved you: I do I swear. We’re taking a break. Well, we would be if they didn’t get distracted. I wouldn’t intentionally ditch you.

Kennedy set his phone down beside him, frustrated with his current situation. He had to cancel plans to grab lunch with Kacey for an emergency practice for this Friday’s gig. However, since he arrived, all they had been doing was sitting around and cutting up. Nothing had been accomplished and the guys were more interested in watching stupid YouTube videos and making jokes. If they weren’t going to practice, he was going to leave and see if Kacey still wanted lunch.

“Yo, what’s wrong there Ken? Ya look a bit blue…” John observed.

Kennedy scoffed, “Nothing. Are we gonna practice or not?” He looked back down at his phone and still didn’t see a reply from Kacey, which only put him a bit more on edge.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Are we interrupting you? We can put the band on hold if there’s something so obviously more important going on,” John replied sarcastically in mock sympathy.

“Fuck off,” Kennedy scoffed as he grabbed his phone and got up off the couch.

“Where are you going?” John replied.

“I’m getting some air. Be back in a few,” he muttered as he made his way outside.

He sighed as he leaned against the brick wall outside. He fumbled around his pockets and found the pack of cigarettes he kept in his shirt pocket. He didn’t smoke often, but the desire to do so was too strong at the moment. He wasn’t sure why he was so on edge suddenly, and he needed the space and the nicotine to help clear his head.

Reaching into his jeans pocket, he grabbed his lighter and lit the stick before he began inhaling. Something about the act calmed him down.

The text alert on his phone went off and he pulled it out of his pocket to see a reply from Kacey.

Good to know. I’ll see you Friday

He groaned, leaning his head back as it hit the brick wall and letting the smoke fall from his lips.

The back door opened and he turned his head to see Jared peaking out to check on him.

“Hey man, you alright?”

Kennedy nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be back in shortly.”

Jared smiled a bit. “Alright, well we’ve got the equipment set up and ready to go whenever you’re ready.” He then closed the door and went back inside to join the others.

Kennedy stayed against the wall until he finished smoking his cigarette, stubbing the remaining embers out with the toe of his shoe. He didn’t understand why talking with Kacey and canceling his plans with her bothered him so much. There was no explanation. He just met the girl and they hadn’t really interacted much. It wasn’t even like he had woke up that morning planning on seeing her and making plans for lunch. However once he saw her while on his run, he had to make plans with her.

He pinned his disappointment on the fact that he was a guy that once his mind was set on something, he followed through with it. He hadn’t initially planned on having lunch with Kacey. But once the idea was in his head and offered, he had fully intended to go through with those plans. Having to derail them for band practice was excusable, but not desirable. Especially since most of practice had been spent goofing around in the practice space.

Kennedy brushed off those thoughts as he rejoined the guys to start practice. Kacey wasn’t a girl any different than those he’d been friends with in the past. Why was he letting himself get so worked up over it? He dismissed all thoughts of the clumsy girl from the cliffs as he made his way inside and strapped on his guitar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!! Thanks so much for your continued support through reading, subscribing, and commenting!! This story is so much fun to write and it's exciting to share with y'all!!

Replies:

WhiskeyPrincess118: i hope this chapter addresses some of your concerns...haha. also, I know patience isn't high with you, but patience. haha ;)

sunsoakedseason: thank you so much!! we fully intend to :)

recycledsweaters: very fitting quote for that chapter. you and your quotes...very nice :)