‹ Prequel: Junior Year
Sequel: Senior Year

The Summer After

The Perfect Day (6.17.14)

If anybody asked me to describe my idea of a perfect day, today was probably the closest it's ever going to get to perfect. There was a tiny situation in which I felt awkward, but I'll get to it later. Spent the whole day with the hurdle crew. I almost cried today 'cause they got me the most awesome gift ever. A starting block for track, which was really expensive, so it meant a lot to me that they went to that extent to get it for me. Almost burned down my girlfriend's house, so that was pretty intense. Played the question game: what have we never told anyone, describe your biggest regret, describe your first crush, those kinds of things. Played clue. Ate some dinosaur chicken nuggets and cooked some pasta. Watched a couple of movies on netflix. Here comes the awkward part. We went out to eat dinner with my girlfriend's family. Even though the rest of the hurdle crew was there, it was really weird. I felt like I was being interviewed or something, like I felt obligated to make a good impression. Part of making this good impression was using chopsticks the whole meal. I got it eventually, but it was not as comfortable as using a spoon and fork. Not only did I feel like I was being judged by her family, but I was sitting directly across from her dad. I mean, I guess it wasn't that bad, since her family doesn't know yet, or nobody outside of hurdle crew really knows yet, but it was still pretty terrifying. Anyways, after that, went back to my girlfriend's house, almost burned her house down, AGAIN. Lol, jk, just playing with some sparkler fireworks. Then went to go watch the fault in our stars, which, I will admit, was a pretty good movie. Very...emotional, would be the word I'm looking for. Great way to spend a day before I spend a week apart from the hurdle crew. Also, I created an instagram. These guys are the best yo.

P.S. Something I actually learned from Fault in Our stars, as cliche as it may sound:
Never take anything in life for granted. Given that everyday is just another day, many of us fail to realize that everyday could very well be our last. We abide by a routine so much, we often forget to admire the things in life that make us who we are and make our routine a routine. The knowledge that what we have in our daily lives is a privilege and not a right eludes us nearly every single day. And the day when it finally slips free, it will be too late to have appreciated what we had.

I love her.