‹ Prequel: Junior Year
Sequel: Senior Year

The Summer After

Senior Summer (7.6.14)

This could be the greatest one month anniversary gift I will ever receive. I guess I knew what I was getting myself into with this relationship. The things that pointed in the right direction covered all the things pointing the other way. Odds stacked against us, we gave it a shot, but failed to hit the target. As a senior, I knew it unwise to have a relationship with an underclassman, especially an underclassman two years below me. As a senior, I knew that a summer relationship wasn't the smartest idea, given both our busy schedules, I knew we wouldn't have time to hang out. As a boy, relationships dazzled me, and the idea of having a girlfriend made me excited. Now, as a 17 year old, clinging to familiarity, being dragged by life into the unknown, I transition out of my shelter and into the real world, from high school to college, and from boyhood to manhood, with this situation perhaps indicating that transition; from something good, to something better. We both agreed that it wasn't worth having a relationship if we didn't have the time to invest in it (which really only makes sense for me cause she's only a sophomore, and we all know sophomore year is a piece of pie). I have to deal with college applications, IB Diploma, getting ready for graduation and college, and keeping up with transitioning. Regardless, relationships should be affectionate and compassionate, not obligatory. Whether I pushed her too hard to contract to this relationship, or by chance the real reason is we're both too busy (which is never the real reason), or I'm straight up just too awesome for her, I will never know. I thought that finally, I understood the mind of a woman, but perhaps it was the mind of a girl. We're still part of the hurdle family, nothing's changed in that regard, which is good, because that was the thing I was most afraid of. Let's get one thing straight, I'm not heartbroken, just extremely disappointed. I think I discovered my most recent quest, which is also the quest of many other people, but my most recent quest, is to succeed and inspire. Success is my goal, and I will obtain it, in every aspect of my life. Period.

"I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say,
Because of you, I didn't give up"

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning."

"I used to think life was unfair, until somebody told me,
'Life is fair because it's unfair to everybody."

"You'll never be good enough for some people,
the question is,
is that your problem, or theirs?"

"Focus on being the right person,
instead of finding the right person,
and the right person will follow."