Status: Completed, but editing along the way.

Change of Species

Zach

"Freaking out is not going to help us any. I will figure out something." She nodded and looked away from me. I walked over to her and hugged her gently. She buried her face into my chest and began to relax a little. I stroked her hair gently, trying to ease her into sleep. She closed her eyes, falling deep into sleep. I sighed and laid there with her asleep in my arms. My life was finally at peace.

I slowly closed my eyes and fell asleep. When I woke up, Zea was in the shower. I stretched and stood up, running my hand through my hair. She stepped out of the bathroom looking absolutely gorgeous. I smiled and walked closer to her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and smiled. "Hey, baby." I smiled back at her and kissed her forehead." Hi, darling. You look wonderful. How are you feeling today?" She grinned and hugged me tighter. "I feel very good today. Thank you." I laughed and pulled her towards the window. She tensed slightly and moved away from me. "What's wrong, sweetie?" She looked at me, fear showing in her eyes.

"The sun could kill me." I felt horrible for trying to get her near the window. "I'm sorry. I knew you were a vampire, but I forgot. I'm really sorry." She shook her head and moved across the room. "It's fine." I felt like a jerk for not remembering about it. It could have killed her. We both just stood there shocked when someone knocked on the door.

Zea moved into the bathroom so I could open the door. "Hello?" Standing before me was a guy dressed in a suit and tie. "Hi there. My name is Detective Staples. Are you Zach Lawrence?" I nodded and allowed him to enter the house. "I've been assigned to Emma Wayler's case. I have information saying that she worked here for several years.She reported here for work but never went home. "

I nodded, trying to think of something to say. "I'm sorry to hear that. She did show up for work. But, then she left. I'm sorry, that's all the information I have." The detective nodded in relief. That was a big bullet to dodge. What was going to happen now? We needed to be really careful about what we did from now on. I checked the backyard and where we burned the body. I checked again and nothing was left, not even ashes. I checked the store for any sign of her. Thank god there were none. I sighed and leaned against the kitchen wall. This was not going to be easy.