Status: Completed, but editing along the way.

Change of Species

Mackenzea

I walked out of the bathroom and Zach was leaning against the wall. "Who was that and what did they want?" He sighed and looked away. "Why won't you look at me?" He just stood there. "Zach! What happened?" He sighed again, looking annoyed. "It was a detective. He had information that Emma worked here. I told him that she did but she left, and that was all that I knew." I nodded and plopped down on the bed. So, now we were suspects. What were we going to do? He stood there, not saying another word.

I exhaled slowly. "Zach, what are we going to do? What if they find us and arrest us?" He looked at me, which took my breath away. "I don't know what to say, Zea. We need to leave the city. We will probably have to leave the country." My eyes widened in fear. "But, our lives are here." Zach nodded. "We can't possibly stay here. We will eventually get caught. We need to leave as soon as possible." I knew he was right. There wasn't anything else we could do.

I grabbed my cell phone and called my family. I explained to them what happened and they gladly said we could stay. "I have a place we can go. My famly is allowing us to stay under their protection." He nodded and sat down beside me. "I understand how hard that must have been for you. Thank you for doing it for us." I hugged him against my chest. "Hopefully things will get better. It will only take a few hours to get there. Let's start packing." He nodded and grabbed a couple of suitcases and we both began to pac away our belongings for a new life.