Where Is Your Heart?

Chapter 1 Welcome to Mystic Falls

First day of school at a new school. I can do this, I can totally do this... OK, maybe I lied, I can't do this. We (my dad and I) have been moving across the country for what reason? I have no idea why Dad wouldn't tell me, but I love my dad, so I didn't question it and went along with it. Though, he technically isn't my real father he is the closest thing I have to one. I'm just guessing it has something to do with vampires. See, my dad is a high school teacher by day, and vampire hunter by night. It's pretty cool, I guess; he trained me, so that I could protect myself just in case. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice my Dad calling my name,

"Maya! Maya! Amaya, hello?" I snapped out of my thoughts and I saw my dad looking at me amused " are you coming out of the car or do you plan on sitting in the car all day?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"Do I have to go? I mean you're a teacher, why can't you just homeschool me?" I asked. He laughed and practically dragged me out of the car and into the school. Walking down the hall people stopped and watched us. This must be a small town, I'm guessing there aren't used to new people. After a short journey, we stopped off at the office, where I got my schedule and other things. Before I could escape my grabbed my arm and turned me around to face him.

"Are you gonna be okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry Dad. I'm a big girl, " I said, giving him a hug. I walked off trying to read the map to find my first class, which was math. I walked down different hallways trying to find my math class. I finally found it and walked in right before the bell rang. After math, I had Gym. Nothing interesting really happened. And FINALLY it was lunchtime. I rushed out of the locker rooms to my Dad’s classroom. I had promised I would have lunch with him today.

"Hey Dad!" I said, taking a seat in front of his desk and pulling out my luchables- don't judge me okay, I love lunchables-

"Hey Maya. How's your day going? How are the classes?" He asked, taking a bite out of his sandwich. I gave him a seriously? Look.

“It's going okay, I guess," I said shrugging.

“Have you tried talking to anyone? Make any new friends?” He asked. I gave him another look. He sighed, “Maya trust me, it won't hurt you to try to make new friends”

“Welllll you never know” I singsong and kept eating my lunchables," It just might".

A guy appeared in the doorway. A very, very cute guy, might I add.

“Hey Mr. Saltzman! My name is Jer- oh, um sorry Ill come back later” The guy said.

“Um no its okay, I’ll just go. I’ll see you later Mr. Saltzman,” I said with amusement. I was about to walk out of the when Dad stopped me.

“Maya wait. Jeremy Gilbert right?” Dad asked the guy. He nodded and leaned on a desk in the front. I took a seat at the desk nearest to the door.

“You know your old teacher had a Jackass file. It has a type label. It has all the troublemakers in it, but really its an opus to you.” Dad laughs and stands up and throws the fill full with papers in the trash can. “But I’m not him. Clean slate.” He goes on and on about Jeremy’s grade and gives him an opportunity to get back on track.

“Okay, now THAT is over” Dad signals me over “ Jeremy Gilbert I’d like you to meet my daughter Amaya Hale. As a favor for me, since I AM after all giving you this wonderful opportunity. I was hoping you could show my niece around a little bit” Before I could protest Jeremy cut me off.

“Sure thing, Mr. Saltzman. No problem” He said and signaled me to follow him. I gave a glare to my dad’s smug smile and followed Jeremy out the door. When we were a safe distance away my dad's classroom, I turned to Jeremy.

“You know, uh, Jeremy?” I asked. He nodded. “It's really okay. You don’t have to show me around. I’ll be fine. I don’t want to bother you”

He smiled and let out a small chuckle. “Now what kind of guy would I be if I just let a pretty girl like you wander the halls lost” I blushed and we walked the halls and him pointing out various classrooms along the way. We compared schedules and we had a lot of the same classes; we just never noticed each other.

-

At the end of the day as I was putting my books away in my locker, I felt a presence next to me.

“Hello, ” I said to the person.

“Hey. You’re new right? I’m Tyler Lockwood” The person said. I turned to look at him. He was handsome for sure, probably a star football player.

“Um, Hi. I’m Amaya Hale, but call me Maya” I said. I held my hand out for him to shake. He shook it.

“Oh look, you’re new around here right? I wanted to know if you wanted to hang out tonight. Me and you to-“ “You and I” I stated. He paused- “What?”

“Oh, sorry I, uh, um never mind go on, ” I tried to stutter out. He smiled, amused probably at my nervousness.
“Do you want to hang out tonight? At The Grill.” Tyler asked hopefully. I bit my lip and thought about it for a few seconds then nodded. He flashed his perfect smile at me, “Cool”. We exchanged numbers and I went out to the parking lot to find Dad.

-

Later on, I arrived at The Grill with Dad. He wanted to make sure I was "safe". Once we walked in, I spotted Tyler sitting at a table. I pushed Dad towards the bar despite his protests and made my way toward Tyler. He saw me and waved me over.

"Hey Tyler" I said, sitting down.

"Hey Maya. What's up?" He asked. We made small talk while looking at our menus. I got to know him a little bit more. He's the son of the Mayor, he's a junior and he's on the football team. We got to talking more and he didn't seem like such a bad guy. A handsome blond, blue-eyed waiter came to us and did a little man's handshake with him. He then noticed me and stuck out his hand.

"Hey, I'm Matt Donovan, " I smiled and shook his hand.

"I'm Amaya Hale, but call me Maya" I told him.

"What can I get you guys?" He asked, pulling out a pad and pen. We told him our orders.

"Did you guys know that Mr. Salzman has been watching you guys forever?" Matt said quietly. I turned quickly and saw Dad keeping his eye on us, while sipping his drink. " I think he has a thing for you Maya, he's been watching you all day." I snorted and Tyler's jaw clenched.

"Yeah... ewww! No. He's my dad, my very protective dad. Well, technically he's my uncle, but I consider him my dad." I explained to them. Matt excused himself laughing. I saw Jeremy walk in with who I'm guessing is his Aunt-who he told me about, I think her name is Jenna- we waved at each other before they sat at a booth.

"You know Gilbert?" Tyler asked, glaring at Jeremy. Uhhh, aca-awkward. 

"Yeah. He showed me around today. He seemed pretty cool." I said quietly. 

"Yeah, well watch out. He's recovering. " Tyler warned. "Uh recovering?" "He used to be a druggie" I nodded. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not; Jeremy seems fine. Matt brought us our food. Yum cheeseburger and curly fries. I noticed a guy with longish black hair, wearing all black hair.

"Hey Tyler. Who's that guy at the bar?" I asked, pointing to the guy. His face scrunched up in dislike.

"That's Damon Salvatore. Bad news. Freak actually, he's one to steer clear from. He's the brother of Gilbert's sister, Elena, boyfriend, Stefan. That's him right there next to him. Why?" He asked. I just shook my head "Just wondering, he looks familiar". Then I saw Damon turn and look at me with his electric blue orbs, smirk then turn around. He heard- we were too far away from him for a normal person to hear.

When we were done eating, we decided to play pool. I was failing miserably.

"Stop laughing," I pouted glaring slightly at Tyler.

"I'm sorry, but you suck" He said in between laughing. I walked towards the other side of the table and aimed the cue stick and hit the ball. FINALLY! I got one in and did my victory dance. I looked up to see Tyler glaring over my shoulder. I followed his glare, right towards Jeremy. Why does he keep glaring at him? I mean, if he isn't looking my way, he's glaring at Jeremy.

"Tyler? You okay?" I asked, trying to break his intense glaring contest with Jeremy. He snapped out of it and smiled his perfect smile at me. I smiled back at him. 

'' You know Jeremy's been staring at you all night, like a lost puppy" He said slightly smirking "Pathetic really"

"Jealous much?" I said, smirking as I walked passed him brushing up against him a little putting the cue stick back on the rack. Suddenly I was feeling a little bit more bolder than usual. He smirked back at me.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure HE is. I mean I got the balls to do something he didn't have the balls to do" I raised my eyebrow at him. We flirted a little bit more and he asked me out again. I noticed my dad talking with Jeremy's Aunt and Jeremy seemed to have disappeared. Tyler offered me a ride home and I sent a text to my dad telling him I was leaving, because I didn't want to mess up his "game". As soon as I got home, I fell asleep on the couch not having the energy to make it all the way to my room.