Torn

Chapter 1

First day of work. Am I supposed to be this terrified? Oh crap, Here comes Dr. Cullen. Smile Kaylee. Smile. Confidence. Be confident!

"Good Morning Kaylee! I mean Dr. Lockwood! How are you doing today? Are you ready for this?" Dr. Cullen asks. I hesitantly nod, still nervous as hell.

"Good morning Dr. Cullen!" I greeted him back. Ope! He's looking at me with that face... He knows I'm nervous... He smiled at me with an understanding smile.

"You nervous?" He asks as we walk down the hallway and get into the elevator."Don't worry. I got you in the Emergency Room today. Scut work for the first day, then we'll work you up okay?"

I nodded, relieved, yet mad at myself for not feeling confident enough to work on actual cases with Dr. Cullen. He led me behind a curtain where a boy sat no older than 14. He had his hand wrapped up in material, soaked in blood resting on top of the table. I grabbed the chart that was hanging off the foot of the bed and took a glance at it.

"Hello, there-Gabriel?" I glanced up at him to make sure I was with the right patient. He nodded at me and asked me to call him Gabe. "Okay Gabe, how are you feeling today? Lets take a look at that hand shall we?"

I examined his hand and he was going to need stitches. Shucks.

"Well it looks like your going to need stitches okay?" I told him and sat down on the rolling stool thing. I have not idea what its called. I got everything all set up and started doing stitches like in Med school. Gabe and I talked, he told me about his family. I needed a distraction from his blood. I do have control over the blood lust, but it still makes me nervous to be around blood. Becoming a doctor is something I have worked so hard for. Afer turning He told me about his "outrageous" mothers, dad who owns his own pest control business, his "airhead" older brother, smart and over achieving older sister, and his baby sister and brother. Those were his words not mine. They sounded like a TV sitcom family, seriously.

"Well Gabe you're all set to go. Your mom just finished her shift and signed you out. She's in the lobby," I told him cleaning up everything.

Now that, that's done I can- "Dr. Lockwood? A nurse called me from behind the nurses station. I turned to look at her. "Yes"

"You're needed up in Dr. Cullen's office. Its up the fourth floor room 425" She said. I nodded in thanks and went up there choosing to take the elevator to get the faster. I walked out of the elevator and soon found his office. I knocked and hear him say come in, so I twisted the door knob and opened the door.

"Ah! Dr. Lockwood, Hello," Dr. Cullen said ushering me in the room. There were other people in the room and they looked very beautiful, yet very pale. Vampires, the other kind. They must also be his family.

"This is my family. This is my wife, Esme, my daughters Rosalie and Alice, and my sons Emmett, Jasper, and Edward. This is Edward's wife, Bella and their daughter, Renesmee," he introduced all them while gesturing to each of them. I waved a small wave to each of them. He explained his families vampirism and my-, hybridism? I guess. Then he handed me a file filled with paper. It was a case he was on and he wanted me to assist him on the case. Whaaaaat?!? An intern on a case like this? Yes! *insert smiley face here*

I went to the break room to read more about the case.

An 87-year-old man, complains of stomach pains. Has an existing condition of heart disease and fainting spells. Cannot find causes of stomach pains.

Okay? Not as big of a case as I thought, but still a step up from scut work.