Voodoo Doll

Chapter Seven

This time when I woke up there was less confusion about where I was. After Forrest Gump Michael and I had climbed under the covers and he’d put on another movie. I was shocked by how similar our movie taste really was, because when he put in the Goonies it took everything in me not to squeal, and despite his protests throughout the film I continued to say the lines out loud before they even happened.

“You’re so annoying. What happened to the Annabelle that never spoke? I think I preferred her.” He ranted as he hit me with the pillow for the 5th time.

“I really like this film, okay?”

“So do I! Shut up.” He grumbled, repositioning himself so he could still see.

So when I woke this morning I knew exactly where I was. I wasn’t expecting the arm that was flung over my waist haphazardly, or the breath that was blowing on the back of my ear tickling slightly, but it wasn’t until I shifted my weight slightly that I felt something dig into my backside causing me to jump.

I sat bolt upright and jumped out of bed, flinging the covers off of both of us in doing so. I looked down and bit my lip nervously, trying not to giggle.

“What is going on?” Michael asked groggily. Not opening his eyes. At which point I kinda lost it and giggled. Michael’s eyes flung open and his gaze dropped to his lower abdomen. “Oh.” I thought he was embarrassed but instead he just looked up, looked me dead in the eye, smirked, wiggled his eyebrows at me and dropped his gaze back to his boxers.

It was then that I felt my cheeks flush and I darted from the room, not even bothering to shut the door behind me. When I got downstairs Mr Clifford was sat at the table buffing his boots.

“Annabelle! I didn’t know you’d stayed the night, love!” He beamed before spitting on his boot.

“Uh, I didn’t really intend to.” I admitted. “Do you want me to make some breakfast?” I asked. Noticing he only had a cup of coffee in front of him.

“You don’t have to do that! — Will be up in a moment and she’ll do it!”

“It would really mean a lot to me if you let me do this. I make breakfast every morning at home anyway, it’s no imposition on me.” I smiled. I really just wanted to thank them for letting me stay and being so kind about it. Most parents wouldn’t be okay with letting a girl stay in their teenage sons room, but they had been nothing but lovely about it.

“If you insist. I’m not going to turn down breakfast!” He chortled to himself.

It hadn’t taken me long to realise my initial assumptions about Michael’s dad had been wrong. He was a kind man with a big heart, there was no denying it. I was sure that he could be a little overbearing at times, but he had his sons best interests at heart and that was what mattered.

I opened the fridge and riffled around before I found some eggs and peppers and cheese. “Are omelette's okay?” I asked.

“Can you just move in?” He laughed and I took that as a yes. I had just finished making the first omelet when Mrs Clifford came downstairs.

“Annabelle, sweetie, I thought you weren’t staying the night?” She asked, eying me suspiciously.

“I’m sorry. I should have checked it was okay.” I frowned. I hadn’t even considered how rude it had been to just invite myself to stay.

“No, dear it’s fine! I just didn’t expect you to be here.” She smiled, patting me on the shoulder before pulling a mug from the cupboard.

I nodded, “I hope you like omelets!” I smiled. “Thank you again Mrs Clifford.”

“I love them, but dear, please call me Karen. Mrs Clifford is my mother in law and she’s a scary Australian woman with no teeth.” She giggled as she made her way over to where her husband was sat.

“She’d kill you if she heard you say that…” Mr Clifford warned, not looking up from his paper. I remembered when my mornings used to be like this, before my dad died, and mum was normal. I missed it.

“Oh, you’re still here. Thought you’d left. Wondered why I could smell actual food.” Michael grunted as he flopped down on the stool next to me in nothing but his boxers.

“Michael go and put some clothes on for goodness sake!” Karen shouted.

“Nothing she hasn’t seen before.” He winked before standing up to go and put some clothes on. I could feel my face flush red.

“I…I…” I stuttered and they both erupted into laughter.

“Darling, if we thought for a second that was true we wouldn’t have allowed you to stay.” Mr Clifford assured, and I wasn’t sure whether to feel flattered or offended.

“Michael has never brought a girl home in his life. I never thought he would. He respects us too much to bring a random girl home, that and he’s terrified of his father.” The look Karen shot me as she spoke was one I didn’t really understand, but it didn’t matter because before I could ask her Michael was back in the room asking when his would be ready.

“I’ve not even finished your mums yet!” I chided, smacking his hand away as he tried to eat the grated cheese.

“I’m hungry though.” He pouted.

“Yes, but I have to leave in 15 minutes with your father and you have another hour! You’ve got the car today.” She smiled, and it seemed to cheer Michael up.

Eventually I had finished making omelets and Karen and Mr Clifford were about to leave. “Aren’t you having one dear?” She asked as I put the eggs and cheese away.

“Oh, um, I need to go home and shower and change. I don’t really have time.” I admitted.

“You should have said something! Michael will drive you, won’t you Michael?” She offered, not really leaving her son with much of a choice.

“Course I will ma.” He smirked. She rolled her eyes before slamming the door behind her.

“You’re not taking me are you?” I asked.

“Nope. We aren’t going.” He smirked, standing up. “I, however, will be back in about half an hour, or however long it takes Welly to punch me in the face.” He shrugged, slipping on his black converse.

“We have to go to school Michael.” I sighed. “We’ll get in trouble.”

“You’ve never skipped before have you?” He asked, and when all I did was blush he burst out laughing. “You’re not going to get into trouble. Just go take a shower. You left your change of clothes here yesterday too.” He shrugged on a denim jacket on top of his hoodie.

“Michael, please, this isn’t necessary.” I tried to argue but he was having none of it.

“I’ll be back. You better be here when I am.” He didn’t give me a chance to reply before he was gone. I wasn’t sure how comfortable I was with all of this. I didn’t like taking days off when I was actually ill, let alone just for the sake of it. I didn’t like the idea at all, and I liked the idea of showering at his even less. I still hated showering at Welly’s.

I pulled out my phone to text Lizzy and let her know the kids were her responsibility today, and that I didn’t know when I would be home but it would be tonight.

Someones turned into the dirty little stop out, haven’t they? Or has ‘mum’ just not let you come home yet?

I haven’t talked to her yet. How has she been? Has she asked about me?

No. She’s been drunk. ‘Dad’ hasn’t been home in a couple days either. Do you think she’s worked out he hates her?

I think maybe this isn’t any of our business and we shouldn’t be talking about it behind their backs. I’ve got to go shower, but I’ll see you soon. I’ll let you know if my plans change, and I’m sorry for whatever inconvenience this is causing you. I’ll fix things soon.

I slid my phone back into my pocket, trudging back upstairs. I figured it was best to go for the shower now. I ran less chance of Michael seeing me in a towel that way.

I’d forgotten how good it felt to have a proper hot shower. Normally at home I was the last person to get to have a shower. I had to get the kids up and showered first, and it resulted in the water being cold by the time I had the chance.

When I finally managed to drag myself out I realised that while I had packed a pair of jeans to wear I had forgot a new top. Cautiously I exited the bathroom in only my bra and jeans and hoped to god that Michael wasn’t home yet. I hadn’t heard him come back, but I had been so wrapped up in enjoying my shower I probably wouldn’t have heard a damn thing anyway.

I opened his door and thanked god when he wasn’t in there. I didn’t want to be rude, but I really needed a top to put on and I’d been wearing a dress before. I opened the second draw down to see a pile of tops just thrown in the draw with no order to them at all, and none of them folded. I cringed but resisted the urge to sort them out, if that was how Michael liked to store things then who was I to judge?

I picked up the first top on the pile and smiled when I noticed it was a Green Day top. Green Day had been my favourite band since I was nine years old. Since the American Idiot album had come out. Since it had been given to me. It was the last thing my dad had ever given to me. I still had that copy of the CD tucked away safely. I’d bought another copy about a year later, because it took me a year to be able to listen to it again and then I was too scared to use the copy he gave me in case anything happened to it.

I slipped the top over my head and made my way downstairs to make myself a cup of tea. I was just finishing the tea when the door flung open “There was no fucking need to hit me THAT hard.” He snapped. “You’re best friend is crazy…and you’re wearing my favourite top.” He huffed, stopping dead as he walked into the kitchen.

“I’m sorry, on both counts. I forgot a top to change into…It was just on the top of the pile…I can go take it off if you want?”

“Only if I can watch?” He winked earning a smack round the back of the head from Welly.

“I’m sorry, but I really see nothing redeemable about this boy. Your faith in him is completely misplaced, but it is your faith to misplace and I am sorry that I snapped at you and said what I did. I know you better than that…” She sighed while still shooting Michael evils.

“I’m sorry for not coming to you.” I replied shyly. I hadn’t meant to hurt her. It had never been my intention.

“You’re allowed other friends, and I guess this fucktard isn’t as bad as I thought. He put up with me slapping him for about five minutes so that I’d forgive you. He’s alright.” She shrugged. “However, unlike some I have to go to school today. So, I shall catch you later.”

“I’ll walk you out.” I grinned.

Michael skulked into the living room and turned on the TV loud enough so that he couldn’t hear us talking. “Okay, what happened because yesterday you hated him and how he’s not that bad?”

“You tell me. What’s made you so domestic? You’ve stayed at his two nights in a row. You cooked his family breakfast. Your omelets are ‘orgasmic’ by the way, his words not mine and now you’re wearing his clothes and skipping school with him. I’m no expert but I think there is something more going on here…whether either of you are willing to admit it or not, because three nights ago he made you cry and storm out of the pub. Listen. I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, and I’m not going to tell you he’s not worth it because he might be…but, just slow down a bit okay? Go home tonight and fix things with your mum…however much they can be. Michael and his family might make you feel normal, and that’s nice and sometimes it’s okay but those kids, they need you, and I know it isn’t your job to take care of them, but if you don’t; who will?”

“Okay.” I nodded. I’d taken everything on board, but I really didn’t know what else to say.

“Okay.” She laughed. “I will see you whenever you come back to the land of reality.” She rolled her eyes before saying goodbye and climbing into her car.

“So, what are we doing today?” I asked, flopping down next to Michael on the sofa.

“We have the car. We, my dear Belle, are going on an adventure.” He smirked before pulling me from the sofa and throwing a hoodie at me.

“Where are we going?” I laughed as I followed him to the car.

“It wouldn’t be much of an adventure if we knew now, would it?” I wasn’t sure what it was that made me climb into the car with Michael, but I did, and I couldn’t deny I was even slightly excited for it. “You ready?” He asked, as he put his iPod on shuffle.

“Do I have a choice?” To which he only smirked and put the car in reverse. It was going to be an adventure that was sure, but whether or not we’d make it back I had no idea. It was Michael after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so here's for the little lovely that left me a comment earlier. I hope you're in less pain and I hope you enjoy this chapter <3